• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush failed to get effective ammo for troops

M14 Shooter

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Since Bush should be blamed for all that is wrong in the world....

U.S. Troops Want a Better Bullet
December 19, 2005: The U.S. Marine Corps, responding to reports from their troops, are investigating whether they should replace the current 66 grain bullet, used in the 5.56mm round fired by the M-16 and M-4 rifle, with a heavier bullet. Since last Summer, the marines have been making the heavier, 77 grain bullet (normally only issued to Force Recon and commando troops) available to commanders, to use in place of the rounds with the 66 grain bullet. However, only six percent of the 10.6 million 5,56mm rounds of ammo the marines have in Iraq and Afghanistan, are the heavier 77 grain version. The debate over the effectiveness of the NATO standard 66 grain bullet (and all 5.56mm) ammo has been going on for decades, and has only intensified since 2002 (when it was used a lot in Afghanistan). The marines and the army are working together on the problem, and will present their findings early next year.
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20051219.aspx

M14 Shooter said:
Since Bush should be blamed for all that is wrong in the world....

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20051219.aspx

Nobody should be "blamed" for this. Military Logistics is not as easy as someone would imagine, But Im hopeing that YOU of all people would know that.

Or, was this just an attempt to get a liberal who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about in an uproar?

Caine said:
Nobody should be "blamed" for this. Military Logistics is not as easy as someone would imagine, But Im hopeing that YOU of all people would know that.

Are ya sure?
Ineffective ammo? Not enough Humvee armor?
What the hell was Bush thinking, going to war with bullets that arent any good at killing people?

Or, was this just an attempt to get a liberal who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about in an uproar?
I'm sure someone will get hooked. :mrgreen:

7.62 NATO rules.

M14 Shooter said:
Are ya sure?
Ineffective ammo? Not enough Humvee armor?
I already addressed the HMMV armor issue, which you never responded to my comments.
What the hell was Bush thinking, going to war with bullets that arent any good at killing people?

I'm sure someone will get hooked. :mrgreen:

7.62 NATO rules.

LOL... 7.62 NATO doesn't fit in an M16 or an M4. Maybe a M240B.

Caine said:
I already addressed the HMMV armor issue, which you never responded to my comments.
I think we agree on the Humvee armor issue.

LOL... 7.62 NATO doesn't fit in an M16 or an M4. Maybe a M240B.
But it does fit into an AR10 or SR25 or G3 or FAL or... gosh... an M14.

M14 Shooter said:
I think we agree on the Humvee armor issue.

But it does fit into an AR10 or SR25 or G3 or FAL or... gosh... an M14.

Well, I can't speak for the marines (but based on thier limited NBC equipment, I doubt they would have anything the 82nd doesn't), but the 82nd ABN infantry units do not have any of these weapons allocated to them, except my company received M14 while in Iraq back in Feb of this year, but never issued them.

Caine said:
Well, I can't speak for the marines (but based on thier limited NBC equipment, I doubt they would have anything the 82nd doesn't), but the 82nd ABN infantry units do not have any of these weapons allocated to them, except my company received M14 while in Iraq back in Feb of this year, but never issued them.

The point being is that there are several personal weapons available that DO use 7.62x51, some of which are already in US inventory.

Back
Top Bottom