• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bush: Don't criticize Obama for golf

I don't know, but it does seem to indicate that Bush is a class act. ;)

He is a good guy. I wasn't a fan of his Presidency, but he seems like a genuinely nice person.

Probably not. Bush's words don't hold a ton of sway political with the right anymore now it seems anyways.

My guess is that petty partisans on the right will continue bitching about Obama's Golfing just like petty partisans on the left would bitch about Bush's time at the Ranch instead of the white house. Petty partisans bitch, it's what they do. Nothing really stops it; at most it just alters it a bit.

I wouldn't care how much golf Obama played if he would do something BESIDES playing golf.

He is a good guy. I wasn't a fan of his Presidency, but he seems like a genuinely nice person.

Yep, him and Jimmy Carter are two nice guys. Too bad they sucked as President.

The problem with Bush was that he ran as a Conservative and concealed the fact that he was a Liberal Globalist, just like his father.

I don't have a problem with him playing golf. What I DO have a problem with is taking a trip to Florida to play golf, or taking another vacation at taxpayer expense while the rest of the country watches our pennies closely.

But you had no problem with the Bush vacations that were triple to Obama's and were on the tax payer dime. Okay I got it now !

But you had no problem with the Bush vacations that were triple to Obama's and were on the tax payer dime. Okay I got it now !

Bush went to the ranch that HE owned and Camp David....... :shrug: Obama spends extravagantly. His kids go skiing in Colorado, a family trip to Africa, ridiculous spring break vacations. He is abusing privileges. I don't see him going home to Chicago for a weekend away at HOME.

Yes. And he's also aware that he played a lot of golf himself as President.

Actually, he didn't according to him. He says he stopped playing in '03. Maybe he's not fully telling the truth, but I have no evidence to the contrary and I really don't care if he did go golfing.

If Bush were talking of a current Republican POTUS with an elevator within the garage, it would not be an issue. What liberal MSM?

He is, he handled the transition out of the WH extremely well too, very classy.

You mean he disappeared and as the worst President ever who was leaving with the lowest approval rating ever. What else would he have done?

Actually, he didn't according to him. He says he stopped playing in '03. Maybe he's not fully telling the truth, but I have no evidence to the contrary and I really don't care if he did go golfing.

You're right, he did stop playing. Having said that, he certainly loved taking vacation days! Compare his total to those of Obama (so far) and Clinton. After reading those numbers, you'd have to be partisan hack to ever complain about Obama's golf. Jeepers.

How many days has President Barack Obama been on vacation since assuming office in January 2009? How much has he golfed? CBS News Correspondent Mark Knoller has the answers.

Since 1996, Knoller has kept tabs on all kinds of presidential data — How many summits? With whom? How many press conferences? — including how often the occupant of the Oval Office at the time leaves the stifling (literally and figuratively) climate of Washington to go on vacation. Successive White Houses have generally found that when their numbers are at odds with the bearded and booming-voiced reporter's figures, the official tallies are the ones that need correcting.

Knoller — who always notes that presidents are never truly on vacation, given the demands of the job and the era of 24/7 communications — graciously shared his latest data with Yahoo News. So here it is:

As of Aug. 13, 2013, Obama is on his 15th vacation trip, covering all or part of 96 days total. He's spending this vacation in Martha's Vineyard with his family.

At the same point in his presidency — Aug. 13, 2005 — George W. Bush had made 51 visits to his ranch in tiny Crawford, Texas, totaling all or part of 335 days. (Note: Bush sometimes used the property to host world leaders.)

Bush also traveled seven times to his family’s oceanside compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, covering all or part of 26 days — bringing his total number of vacation days at this point in his presidency to 349 days. (335+26 doesn’t = 349, but remember the “all or part of” caveat.)

What about former President Bill Clinton? At this point in his second term, he had taken 11 vacations covering all or part of 84 days.

“The trips were mostly to Martha’s Vineyard or Jackson Hole, WY. Though he also spent a few days in Hilton Head for New Year’s and then to the Virgin Islands for a few days,” Knoller said in an email.

And former President Ronald Reagan? At this point in his second term he had made 29 trips to his ranch in California, spanning all or part of 180 days.

None of these figures includes visits to Camp David, the presidential retreat outside Washington, which Knoller does not consider vacation.

What about golf? Obama has played two rounds thus far on this vacation in Martha’s Vineyard, bringing his total to 135 rounds as president so far.

He has played 60 rounds at Andrews Air Force Base just outside Washington, D.C. — the home of Air Force One. He has played an additional 31 rounds at Fort Belvoir in nearby Virginia. Obama has played 18 rounds each in Hawaii and Martha’s Vineyard, “and a few others along the way,” according to Knoller.

Bush played 24 rounds of golf as president — but he stopped in the fall of 2003, after deciding it was not appropriate to be seen playing golf while American troops fought in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Yahoo!

I don't know, but it does seem to indicate that Bush is a class act. ;)

Everything Bush does in his "retirement" is indicative of a classy man, as most fair minded people know. In fact, I'd be inclined to think America would be far better off if President Obama did nothing but golf on the taxpayer's dime - would likely be far less expensive in the long run.

You mean he disappeared and as the worst President ever who was leaving with the lowest approval rating ever. What else would he have done?

No, the way he left the White House, leaving a nice letter for Obama in the Oval office along with a Macbook Air.

You're right, he did stop playing. Having said that, he certainly loved taking vacation days! Compare his total to those of Obama (so far) and Clinton. After reading those numbers, you'd have to be partisan hack to ever complain about Obama's golf. Jeepers.

Thanks for proving my point so wonderfully well Middleground. An in stunning fashion. Make an accusation, get called on it, and go "BUT BUT BUT...next propoganda point I have ot make to score political points!"

Shocking news for conservatives, Fort Belvoir's a short jaunt from the White House and there's these things called "Cell phones".

Shocked news for liberals, there's this magical thing called "the internet" and SCIFs can be installed in private residences. I know some of you have this seething hatred for "back woods" texas but they do actually have technology there. Not being in the White House != Vacation days.

****ing hyper partisan petty talking points drive me up the wall.

Thanks for proving my point so wonderfully well Middleground. An in stunning fashion. Make an accusation, get called on it, and go "BUT BUT BUT...next propoganda point I have ot make to score political points!"

Shocking news for conservatives, Fort Belvoir's a short jaunt from the White House and there's these things called "Cell phones".

Shocked news for liberals, there's this magical thing called "the internet" and SCIFs can be installed in private residences. I know some of you have this seething hatred for "back woods" texas but they do actually have technology there. Not being in the White House != Vacation days.

****ing hyper partisan petty talking points drive me up the wall.

The numbers don't lie Zyph. Bush took a whack load of holidays compared to Clinton and Obama (so far). Call it whatever **** you want, but I was just citing the article I found when I went looking about the golf and I happen to stumble on that nugget.

Back
Top Bottom