• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bush disastrous presidency still affecting Iraq security, and America's economy

thinkforyoursel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The enormity of this blunder to get into Iraq so disgust me. The right-wing have always tried to play this down after the American people woke up, they have tried to deflect and to pretend it's no big deal .....but here's just a list:

• 180,000 innocent Iraqis slaughtered. While all weren't kill directly at the barrel of Americans guns ...American led intervention created the instability that led to the situation.
  • A country with one of the better educated citizenry in the region suddenly have a generation who grew up marginally educated and seeing nothing but death and killing
  • The elders, doctor, lawyers, engineers fled at the beginning of the war and many will never return. Hence minimal role models for children growing up.
  • Women have less security than ever with the current condition there
  • The infrastructure is destroyed
  • At home, 5000+ dead GI's. And this is the vexing argument coming from the right-wing....that 5000 dead GI's is nothing compared to WW2, Vietnam..blah-blah-blah! The tone is ...these 5000+ lives are ours to give up...incredibly insensitive to say the least. I bet if this number was 100,000 they would find some other event to simply state ....no problem. And these are the people talking about Benghazi!
  • 100,000's of seriously wounded vets, that at no time under Bush were any plans made for them!
  • And of course we saw the economic devastation left for Obama in 2008.

Yet this same group...with the same mindset are whom here today ready to do this all over again.

But look at the condition of Iraq today, we gut the country and left it wobbling ...and now insurgents are filling the vacuum as they take city after city in Iraq. How many times did we hear democrats make this prediction during the Bush era. Yet today...they're screaming over 5 guys being released from prison ....when we have 1,000's out there running around in IRAQ thats much much more dangerous!

Mosul is burning, and Iraq could still get worse. Here are 5 reasons why

Yeah, yeah...one day y'all will stop blaming Bush. But it won't ever be while there is a Democrat in charge.

We should have never invaded. It been over eleven years since he declared "Mission Accomplished" in Iraq.

Maybe one day we can forget 911..... what we must never forget was what transpired after 911.

The right wing are so eager to ...move on...refresh the slate ...and want Americans to pretend Iraq never happened.

The reality is ...that blunder still affects millions today ...including many here in America.

So, "think"

You think Saddam Hussein and sons should've been left in control of Iraq indefinitely?

Considering 30,000 people (minimum estimates) were dying in Iraq EVERY YEAR due to the effects of U.S. enforced sanctions from 1991 to 2003 (that is 360,000 total dead, minimum) then I think you should have some compassion for the Iraqis under Saddam.

What Obama said,

“The tide of war is receding,”

Looks like the tide is coming back in...for the Iraqi's, for sure...for us, likely.

So, "think"

You think Saddam Hussein and sons should've been left in control of Iraq indefinitely?

Considering 30,000 people (minimum estimates) were dying in Iraq EVERY YEAR due to the effects of U.S. enforced sanctions from 1991 to 2003 (that is 360,000 total dead, minimum) then I think you should have some compassion for the Iraqis under Saddam.

LOL...first it was the people Saddam gassed back in the 80's....then it was women....and ofcourse it was to save America from Saddam's impending nukuleer (what Bush said) attack. And then this ...Saddam was killing what 30,000 every year....so America went in and quickly killed 180,000?

Do you people even realize over the last 2 years after we left Iraq (and the media) how many die a day...a week...a month from suicide attacks?

This is how you realize how disastrous Bush blunder in going into Iraq was ....leaving a guy like Saddam in charge would have been much much better for the country!!

LOL...first it was the people Saddam gassed back in the 80's....then it was women....and ofcourse it was to save America from Saddam's impending nukuleer (what Bush said) attack. And then this ...Saddam was killing what 30,000 every year....so America went in and quickly killed 180,000?

Do you people even realize over the last 2 years after we left Iraq (and the media) how many die a day...a week...a month from suicide attacks?

This is how you realize how disastrous Bush blunder in going into Iraq was ....leaving a guy like Saddam in charge would have been much much better for the country!!

Classical modern liberal

Someone who thinks Saddam Hussein should still be in power......and that George W. Bush should never have been.

Almost traitorous.

Classical modern liberal

Someone who thinks Saddam Hussein should still be in power......and that George W. Bush should never have been.

Almost traitorous.

Myself ....and 180,000 butchered Iraqis, 5000+ GI's all believe this......hypocrites on the right would rather spew "talking points".

Talking points like ....5000 GI's are readily expendable ..ho-hum ...no never mind in your hypocritical world .....but these 4 people in Bhenghazi ....oh the horror of just these 4 deaths!

The enormity of this blunder to get into Iraq so disgust me. The right-wing have always tried to play this down after the American people woke up, they have tried to deflect and to pretend it's no big deal .....but here's just a list:

• 180,000 innocent Iraqis slaughtered. While all weren't kill directly at the barrel of Americans guns ...American led intervention created the instability that led to the situation.
  • A country with one of the better educated citizenry in the region suddenly have a generation who grew up marginally educated and seeing nothing but death and killing
  • The elders, doctor, lawyers, engineers fled at the beginning of the war and many will never return. Hence minimal role models for children growing up.
  • Women have less security than ever with the current condition there
  • The infrastructure is destroyed
  • At home, 5000+ dead GI's. And this is the vexing argument coming from the right-wing....that 5000 dead GI's is nothing compared to WW2, Vietnam..blah-blah-blah! The tone is ...these 5000+ lives are ours to give up...incredibly insensitive to say the least. I bet if this number was 100,000 they would find some other event to simply state ....no problem. And these are the people talking about Benghazi!
  • 100,000's of seriously wounded vets, that at no time under Bush were any plans made for them!
  • And of course we saw the economic devastation left for Obama in 2008.

Yet this same group...with the same mindset are whom here today ready to do this all over again.

But look at the condition of Iraq today, we gut the country and left it wobbling ...and now insurgents are filling the vacuum as they take city after city in Iraq. How many times did we hear democrats make this prediction during the Bush era. Yet today...they're screaming over 5 guys being released from prison ....when we have 1,000's out there running around in IRAQ thats much much more dangerous!

Mosul is burning, and Iraq could still get worse. Here are 5 reasons why

To blame President Bush for the Great Recession rests upon an untenable and simplistic understanding of the causes for the Great Recession. The fertile ground for the Great Recession was laid before President Bush took office. It is plausible

President Obama exacerbated those conditions plaguing Iraq by withdrawing U.S. troops to quickly from the country.

^You do realize don't you that most of the U.S. soldiers who died in Iraq either "enlisted" or "reenlisted" AFTER the 2003 invasion of Iraqi began?

Thus, they joined with the full knowledge of what might happen to them yet they joined anyway.

Assumption of risk.

^You do realize don't you that most of the U.S. soldiers who died in Iraq either "enlisted" or "reenlisted" AFTER the 2003 invasion of Iraqi began?

Thus, they joined with the full knowledge of what might happen to them yet they joined anyway.

Assumption of risk.

Huh...yeah...I'm sure they all wanted to died....they couldn't wait to take a bullet :roll:

If nothing else you're consistent with the mind-set that they were expendable ...and don't count for much....a hypocrite to the end.

Yeah, yeah...one day y'all will stop blaming Bush. But it won't ever be while there is a Democrat in charge.

BDS appears to be a terminal disease with some.

anything to make the incompetent Obama look better

Maybe one day we can forget 911..... what we must never forget was what transpired after 911.

The right wing are so eager to ...move on...refresh the slate ...and want Americans to pretend Iraq never happened.

The reality is ...that blunder still affects millions today ...including many here in America.

20 years from now are you still going to be spewing this nonsense? Obama will still suck

To blame President Bush for the Great Recession rests upon an untenable and simplistic understanding of the causes for the Great Recession. The fertile ground for the Great Recession was laid before President Bush took office. It is plausible

President Obama exacerbated those conditions plaguing Iraq by withdrawing U.S. troops to quickly from the country.

The timeframe for withdrawal was arranged during GW Bush's tenure. Obama did not change the date. But just out of curiosity, how long should we have stayed?

The timeframe for withdrawal was arranged during GW Bush's tenure. Obama did not change the date. But just out of curiosity, how long should we have stayed?

I don't blame Obama for not changing the date of the troop pullout.

What I do blame him for is his inept leadership and the inability of the people who work for him...the ones who were unable to strike a deal with Iraq about the SOF rules. Also, I'm suspecting that Obama pretty much left Iraq swinging in the breeze since the pull out. Now, perhaps Iraq wanted it that way...but maybe they should have been convinced to accept help from us to bolster their crappy security forces. A merely "good" President would have done better than Obama did.

If Obama actually did EVERYTHING possible but Iraq just told him to **** off, then the trouble they are going through is on them. I wouldn't even blame Obama...and I certainly wouldn't blame Bush who hasn't had a damned thing to do with Iraq since 2008.

Liberals, on the other hand, can't resist the easy way out...the easy way to avoid scrutiny into Obama's actions. They'd rather blame Bush.

Last edited:
20 years from now are you still going to be spewing this nonsense? Obama will still suck

In 2017 Obamas Secret Service detail, the White House FBI liaison office and those military advisor's and White House aids will be coming out with the tell alls, and Clinton's "Animal House" White House will look like a well run organization. :2rofll:

Question is, will the next Secretary of State in 2017 will revoke the Obama's passport ?

5000 dead GI...."non-sense".......but oh the pain of 4 dead in Benghazi...it burns so bad....$%#@ hypocrites!

I don't blame Obama for not changing the date of the troop pullout.

What I do blame him for is his inept leadership and the inability of the people who work for him...the ones who were unable to strike a deal with Iraq about the SOF rules. Also, I'm suspecting that Obama pretty much left Iraq swinging in the breeze since the pull out. Now, perhaps Iraq wanted it that way...but maybe they should have been convinced to accept help from us to bolster their crappy security forces. A merely "good" President would have done better than Obama did.

If Obama actually did EVERYTHING possible but Iraq just told him to **** off, then the trouble they are going through is on them. I wouldn't even blame Obama...and I certainly wouldn't blame Bush who hasn't had a damned thing to do with Iraq since 2008.

Liberals, on the other hand, can't resist the easy way out...the easy way to avoid scrutiny into Obama's actions. They'd rather blame Bush.

Sorry but I have a problem with remaining in Iraq simply so the insurgents will have someone to shoot at besides each other. The fact that we created the Civil war is really pretty irrelevant. It is an Iraqi Civil war and we will only make it worse by intervening. For Obama or any other President to compound Bush's blunder by committing more troops to die needlessly would be shameful. GW Bush had EVERYTHING to do with Iraq, a fact that will forever cloud his legacy.

Last edited:
Sorry but I have a problem with remaining in Iraq simply so the insurgents will have someone to shoot at besides each other. The fact that we created the Civil war is really pretty irrelevant. It is an Iraqi Civil war and we will only make it worse by intervening. For Obama or any other President to compound Bush's blunder by committing more troops to die needlessly would be shameful. GW Bush had EVERYTHING to do with Iraq, a fact that will forever cloud his legacy.

Yeah, yeah...and Obama gets a pass for his part in arming those insurgents. Like I said...anything to avoid scrutiny. Easier to blame Bush.

So we blame the moon. ?

Sure...why not?

Obama and his apologists have blamed more idiotic things for his blunders...videos and such...why not blame the moon?

Sure...why not?

Obama and his apologists have blamed more idiotic things for his blunders...videos and such...why not blame the moon?

The moon controls the tides.

But I'm sure the lefty loonies will come up with a Bush moon connection.

We had a President (Obama) who spent his entire first term in office blaming all of his failures, incompetencies and the economy on Bush.

Iraq pre invasion was not as stable as people like to claim.

Saddam Hussein, in his 23 years in power, plunged this country into a bloodbath of medieval proportions, and exported some of that terror to his neighbors.

Burns proceeded to estimate the arithmetic of Saddam's brutality:

The largest number of deaths during his reign is attributable to the Iran-Iraq war (1980-1988). Iraq claims to have lost 500,000 people during that war.
The 1990 occupation of Kuwait and the ensuing Gulf War caused 100,000 deaths, by Iraq's reckoning--probably an exaggeration, but not by much: the 40-day bombardment of Iraq before the three-day ground war, and the massacre of escaping Iraqi troops on the "highway of death" make the estimate more credible than not.
"Casualties from Iraq's gulag are harder to estimate," Burns wrote. "Accounts collected by Western human rights groups from Iraqis and defectors have suggested that the number of those who have 'disappeared' into the hands of the secret police, never to be heard from again, could be 200,000."
Add it up, and in three decades, about 900,000 Iraqis have died from violence, or well over 3% of the Iraqi population--the equivalent of more than 9 million people in a nation with a population as large as that of the United States. That's what Iraq will have to recover from over the next decades--not just the death toll of the last six years, but that of the last 30.

We helped rebuild their infrastructure, help them stand up a government, and trained and equipped their law enforcement and military. Those guys were driving around brand new F250s and MRAPs by the time I left in 2010.

It was a drastically different environment (for the better) on the ground when I left in 2010 than when I arrived in Iraq for the initial invasion in 2003.

They were set up for success when we withdraw, that they let it devolve into chaos is on them. It is unfortunate, but that is the way it goes.

Back
Top Bottom