• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush claims God told him to invade Iraq

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
LONDON (AFP) - US
President George W. Bush allegedly said God told him to invade
Iraq and
Afghanistan, a new BBC documentary will reveal, according to details.

Bush made the claim when he met Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas and then foreign minister Nabil Shaath in June 2003, the ministers told the documentary series to be broadcast in Britain later this month.

The US leader also told them he had been ordered by God to create a Palestinian state, the ministers said.

Shaath, now the Palestinian information minister, said: "
President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God.

'God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'.'

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq...' And I did.

"'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God I'm gonna do it'," said Shaath.

Abbas, who was also at the meeting in the Egyptian resort of Sharm al-Sheikh, recalled how the president told him: "I have a moral and religious obligation.

"So I will get you a Palestinian state."

A BBC spokesman said the content of the programme had been put to the White House but it had refused to comment on a private conversation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051006/ts_alt_afp/mideastbritainusiraq_051006214432

This is super old news. I remember reading an article on this a year ago at least. Besides, a lot of people think that Bush is this big Christian. I dont think he is, I think he just plays it up for the fundies.

scottyz said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051006/ts_alt_afp/mideastbritainusiraq_051006214432

:rofl Are you sure it was not from Al Franken, or Michael Moore's website, ..or perhaps from some of the even more hackneyed leftist sites?

Really, ..I love listening to all the Bush haters, & detractors.....its entertaining as hell.:smile:

No joke, it's a story on yahoo news. It's not like Bush doesnt have a history of this kind of thing, (cant find the source, but i saw it again in a frontline episode, you can probably find it on PBS.org) Bush had previously stated that he felt like God had picked him to be Governor of Texas and then the President. I think he gets a kick out of it personally. (though why he would tell the Palestinian leader ship I have no clue.)

Stu Ghatze said:
:rofl Are you sure it was not from Al Franken, or Michael Moore's website, ..or perhaps from some of the even more hackneyed leftist sites?

Really, ..I love listening to all the Bush haters, & detractors.....its entertaining as hell.:smile:
I posted the source and it was not any of those sites you listed. :confused:

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
No joke, it's a story on yahoo news. It's not like Bush doesnt have a history of this kind of thing, (cant find the source, but i saw it again in a frontline episode, you can probably find it on PBS.org) Bush had previously stated that he felt like God had picked him to be Governor of Texas and then the President. I think he gets a kick out of it personally. (though why he would tell the Palestinian leader ship I have no clue.)

If Bush feels led by God, ...so what? The only ones ridiculing him are the atheists anyway, or "carnal" christians.

Its amazing on how we defend everybody's own right to THEIR belief system, yet....we are all too quick to critiscize Bush's!

Many past leaders etc believed they were serving a purpose w/God at the helm guiding them, ..so what?

Some of our early founding fathers, & some even our great military leaders Washington, Patton, & others! etc.

Stu Ghatze said:
If Bush feels led by God, ...so what? The only ones ridiculing him are the atheists anyway, or "carnal" christians.

Its amazing on how we defend everybody's own right to THEIR belief system, yet....we are all too quick to critiscize Bush's!

Many past leaders etc believed they were serving a purpose w/God at the helm guiding them, ..so what?

I did a search on "Bush and the Amish 2004." You can find numerous web sites that detail how Bush 'reportedly' said..."I trust God speaks through me."

You don't find that just a little bit alarming? Even a little presumptious?

This man took us to war based on what God 'reportedly' told him to do.

Isn't that a contradiction?

To some of our friends on the left like Howard Dean its bad to be a Christian and a Conservative.....Sad.........

Navy Pride said:
To some of our friends on the left like Howard Dean its bad to be a Christian and a Conservative.....Sad.........

I think it's more a case of it being impossible to be a true christian and a supporter of the policies of this president.

Hoot said:
I think it's more a case of it being impossible to be a true christian and a supporter of the policies of this president.

Yeah like Pro Life and anti gay marriage huh..........

Navy Pride said:
Yeah like Pro Life and anti gay marriage huh..........

As the old bumper sticker goes..."God is not spelled G-O-P."

Navy Pride said:
Dean has said that he is a Christian.

Hoot said:
You don't find that just a little bit alarming? Even a little presumptious?

This man took us to war based on what God 'reportedly' told him to do.

Isn't that a contradiction?
It's alarming because it's the same sort of rhetoric Bin Laden and friends use.

scottyz said:
Dean has said that he is a Christian.

Not a smart comment by your boy about white christians.....

Then after hating this despicable lot he determines that this much hated Republican Party is primarily (like himself) a bunch of "white Christians" ("pretty much a white, Christian party." June 8, 2005).

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-18-2005-71775.asp

wake up look around
the dead are piling high,young soldiers lust for blood, the legacy will be
30 years or more of wmds coming up through mexico
like a thief in the night
watch the carnage unfold coming to an american city near you
what russia could not do a rag tag band of rag heads seems to be doing
the invasion is here it will be along time before the wmds stop coming to america
America's masses will huddle in their basements while calls for more
duct tape and plastic come over the radio
duck and cover while wmds roar through american streets
over 7,000 bi8llion $ in debt
these are george's LEGAcy
all the arrogance in america will be snuffed when the next WMD happens in america
watch for the next 30 years or more the terror is about to unfold

Last edited:
Navy Pride said:
Not a smart comment by your boy about white christians.....

Then after hating this despicable lot he determines that this much hated Republican Party is primarily (like himself) a bunch of "white Christians" ("pretty much a white, Christian party." June 8, 2005).

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-18-2005-71775.asp
It is mostly a white "Christian" party?

'God would tell me, 'George, can you turn into a Moron'.'

"And I did,

wtf said:

"And I did,

"God told me to strike at al-Qeada, and I did." "God told me to strike at Saddam, and I did."- What a delusional asshole! First off, I don't believe in a "divine" entity, second off, if there was one,why in the hell would he be communicating with Bush?

scottyz said:

Bush is on something other than food and water. He may have accidentally gone off his antipsychotic medication. Is Bush a schizophrenic? He is delusional. I use to think he was just a psychopath, but now it turns out that Bush might actually be Mentally Ill. Good Lord, what have you Neo conservatives, turned loose on the world. I have also heard on the internet that Bush thinks it may be ok to Nuke Iran and North Korea.

Just look at his candidate for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. She me be a nice person, but she knows nothing of being a Judge. Bush is making to many real time errors in judgement.

071005austin.jpg

wtf said:

"And I did,

He was a moron long before his so-called God spoke to him.:sword:

Old and wise said:
He was a moron long before his so-called God spoke to him.:sword:

Yes, but after these stupid comments, it just made alot more people aware..hopefully.

Navy Pride said:

Just to give this more credibility, it is also in the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A37944-2003Jun26&notFound=true

Imagine our surprise Wednesday to read in the Israeli paper Haaretz (online), that Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Abu Mazen, meeting recently with militants to enlist their support for a truce with Israel, said that, when they met in Aqaba, President Bush had told him this: " God told me to strike at al Qaeda and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam [ Hussein], which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a Christian, in fact I strongly suggest it (understatement), trust me you will feel so much better about life. in general.

However, God speaks with us through the Bible, that is the purpose of the Bible b/c he know longer speaks with us through burning bushes in the wilderness. Any question you have, you can find the answer in the Bible (not directly, but you can find the answer). The problem is that Bush feels he is God's messenger, or prophet, and that God supports his political agenda. That leaves two conclusions;

1) He is using Christianity as a political platform to gain support for his own agenda, a big no-no. (I believe this is most likely)

or

2) He honestly believes he is sent by God to wage holy wars on the Middle East. Then he sounds a lot like someone other political terrorist we know. He would feel justified in any act in the name of God!

There is a big mistake in using the name of God to promote your ideals, it is called blasphemy, one the sins God abhors the most.

Back
Top Bottom