• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bush-Cheney campaign manager, ex-chairman of Republican Party set to come out as gay

Re: Bush-Cheney campaign manager, ex-chairman of Republican Party set to come out as

If he claims to be gay now, so what. He obviously chose to be gay AFTER working for President Bush. if it's true at all, he turned gay after working for bush. Bush was gods choice to lead America and God doesnt need perverts to win an election.

Oh this one is gonna be so much fun. I had to thank this post just for the pure comic value of it.

Re: Bush-Cheney campaign manager, ex-chairman of Republican Party set to come out as

This kind of stupid is priceless :lamo

Anyways, good on him. I can't imagine how hard it must be to live a lie.
thats exactly what i said on my other forum. as for 316, you should read some of his other pearls of dumbdom. LOL.

Re: Ken Mehlman reveals he's gay

After they made oodles of money promoting an anti-gay agenda? I'm sorry, but Mehlman did not have to take his "journey" by walking on the backs of other gays. Frankly, I don't know who is a worse breed of human being: the bigot or the person who isn't a bigot, but uses the bigotry of others in order to make money and push a political agenda (regardless of whether or not they actually believe in said agenda).

We all have done wrong in the past, but it doesn't mean we can't come to terms and try to be better later. The man is becoming more true to himself and will probably have more peace because of it, this is something that I hope for everyone.

He is affecting others personal life's opening himself up to ridicule. If he can dish it out he should be able to take it.

Anyone who supports or opposes any law is "affecting the personal life of others." That doesn't mean that everyone's personal life is fair game.

Re: Ken Mehlman reveals he's gay

What hate? I merely refuted the statement that insinuated the republican party did not have a small tent. It's no secret the left has always been more tolerant of gays.

The only one who said anything about "tents" was you.

Here is my take on the guy good for him for coming out and supporting gay marriage, apparently he works with some organization called Log Cabin Republicans that I just heard of today on the issue of the "Don't ask don't tell" policy. The leader of the group apparently was also a GW staffer (and apparently about 3 other GW staffers came out gay as well) and has said they have been having closed door meetings with Republicans on the hill about supporting gay marriage and revoking the don't ask don't tell policy.

I find it interesting though that whenever politics don't matter, people get honest about how they feel (see Dick Cheney, McCain women) but I think the Republicans should really embrace the gay community and gay rights including gay marriage. It would probably do wonders for them to get younger voters in their party because a lot of gay people probably just go with democrats in the first place because they feel that they are looking out for them, but sadly that is not the case with Obama.

These Log Cabin Republican guys seem like decent folks, apparently (and correct me if I am wrong) Ann Coulter is going to be speaking about the need for gay Republicans because their main issue after getting equal rights is strictly being fiscally conservative, and not try to force people's social lives down others throats. Seriously though it seems like we get 2-3 Republicans come out as gay every year, how much self-hating cirque du soleil loving Republicans do we need before they all quit making a big fuss over something as simple as giving someone the right to marry?

Here is my take on the guy good for him for coming out and supporting gay marriage, apparently he works with some organization called Log Cabin Republicans that I just heard of today on the issue of the "Don't ask don't tell" policy. The leader of the group apparently was also a GW staffer (and apparently about 3 other GW staffers came out gay as well) and has said they have been having closed door meetings with Republicans on the hill about supporting gay marriage and revoking the don't ask don't tell policy.

I find it interesting though that whenever politics don't matter, people get honest about how they feel (see Dick Cheney, McCain women) but I think the Republicans should really embrace the gay community and gay rights including gay marriage. It would probably do wonders for them to get younger voters in their party because a lot of gay people probably just go with democrats in the first place because they feel that they are looking out for them, but sadly that is not the case with Obama.

These Log Cabin Republican guys seem like decent folks, apparently (and correct me if I am wrong) Ann Coulter is going to be speaking about the need for gay Republicans because their main issue after getting equal rights is strictly being fiscally conservative, and not try to force people's social lives down others throats. Seriously though it seems like we get 2-3 Republicans come out as gay every year, how much self-hating cirque du soleil loving Republicans do we need before they all quit making a big fuss over something as simple as giving someone the right to marry?

Log Cabin Republicans are ok...I just thing they are a little too apologetic on gay issues when it comes to trying to please the republican base.

There have always been gay people in the Republican Party, they just know that there are more important things to be taken care of than being gay. Many politicians say a lot of things on the campaign trail to get votes, that does not mean they really believe it. When it really comes down to it, I believe there are more Libertarian Republicans than we know about. They make certain statements, like anti-gay things, to get votes. All the while knowing they are working on a bigger picture.

Reagan was a perfect example of this, talking the talk to get votes. He was well aware of O'Connor and Kennedy's Libertarian social views, yet nominated them to SCOTUS anyway. He could say what he wanted on the campaign trail to get the votes so he could take care of bigger things, knowing all the while that he could put people more in line with his true ideals on the Court to fix the things he had to do to get the votes.

The difference I see now is that the Republican Party does not need to focus on the social issues anymore. They can point to a far-too-fiscally-liberal national government and get the votes they need without the social issues. Clinton's administration was more fiscally Conservative, so at that time, the Republican Party had to attack them on something else -- social issues. That is how those issues became so prominent, but no longer.

I appreciate the current Congress and the Obama Administration for bringing about that much-needed change. They reminded Americans why they are Conservative in the first place.

Last edited:

There have always been gay people in the Republican Party, they just know that there are more important things to be taken care of than being gay. Many politicians say a lot of things on the campaign trail to get votes, that does not mean they really believe it. When it really comes down to it, I believe there are more Libertarian Republicans than we know about. They make certain statements, like anti-gay things, to get votes. All the while knowing they are working on a bigger picture.

Exactly. Obama "opposes gay marriage," but his defenders say that he actually supports it but pretends to oppose it in order to get votes. People tend to get indignant when Republicans do the same.

There have always been gay people in the Republican Party...

This is why I tend to think that some of the more adamant pro-gay rights types on this board really have not met many gay people. Yes, gays are more liberal than average overall, but in any group of gays you will meet conservatives, especially among older gays. I knew a female impersonator in Detroit who was very gay, and worked for Reagan's re-election campaign(he wore a suit and not a dress for that, and did not mention what he did for a living).

Its done, he came out.

"The news that former Bush-Cheney campaign manager Ken Mehlman is now openly gay and will raise funds and strategize for the campaign to legalize gay marriage is a stunning reversal. During Mehlman's tenure as head of the Republican National Committee and as an adviser to the 2004 Bush campaign, Mehlman helped spearhead some of the most aggressively anti-gay initiatives in American politics.

Though his sexuality was something of an open secret in Washington circles, in his public career Mehlman worked on numerous high-profile anti-gay efforts, beginning with the proposed 2004 constitutional amendment to outlaw gay marriage."

Former Bush campaign manager flips on gay marriage - Yahoo! News

This is why I tend to think that some of the more adamant pro-gay rights types on this board really have not met many gay people. Yes, gays are more liberal than average overall, but in any group of gays you will meet conservatives, especially among older gays. I knew a female impersonator in Detroit who was very gay, and worked for Reagan's re-election campaign(he wore a suit and not a dress for that, and did not mention what he did for a living).

Completely true. Gays are 5 times more likely to vote for Republicans than are blacks, and are more likely to vote for republicans than jews. Probably 1/3+ of the republicans I met in nyc were gay.

Completely true. Gays are 5 times more likely to vote for Republicans than are blacks, and are more likely to vote for republicans than jews. Probably 1/3+ of the republicans I met in nyc were gay.

I am living in the wrong metro area. I feel like a lone gunmen out here in Cali...

I am living in the wrong metro area. I feel like a lone gunmen out here in Cali...

If you are conservative and any group in Cali, you are a lone gunman.

Edited to add: am I the only one who finds it almost offensive that to some people, a person's orientation is somehow supposed to define what they believe politically?

Last edited:

Edited to add: am I the only one who finds it almost offensive that to some people, a person's orientation is somehow supposed to define what they believe politically?

No, I've spent the better part of my DP career being told I am an "Uncle Tom" by liberals on this forum...it's highly offensive.

No, I've spent the better part of my DP career being told I am an "Uncle Tom" by liberals on this forum...it's highly offensive.

You are not an Uncle Tom, you are just self-loathing....

Before some one bitches, yes that was joking, Jallman knew it.

He's gay, so its more like aunt tammy...

He's gay, so its more like aunt tammy...

It's ok...you could have said Aunt Jemima...only a couple people would have called you racist.

have a link?

Well see that's the thing. If conservatives didn't make a big stink over it then it wouldn't be an issue at all. Obama is really kind of a bitch in certain areas, and when he wasn't president he wanted gays to be able to marry so it would quit being an issue, now that he is president, he backs into a corner. I guess that is the default answer of any president though.

Well see that's the thing. If conservatives didn't make a big stink over it then it wouldn't be an issue at all. Obama is really kind of a bitch in certain areas, and when he wasn't president he wanted gays to be able to marry so it would quit being an issue, now that he is president, he backs into a corner. I guess that is the default answer of any president though.

What does this have to do with what I said?

Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

27% of gays voted for McCain compared to 21% of jews, 22% of "other" religions, 23% of atheists, and 4% of blacks.

The same trends were present in 04 and 00, though not to the same degree.

Interesting, good to know. I wonder if it had anything to do with the McCain women...did they ever make it known their views on gay rights before they did the no h8 thing?

What does this have to do with what I said?

Several gay people I know steer away from the Republican party because of their stance on gay marriage and other such issues. If Republicans just embraced them and did everything they could to make them a full part of the party rather than some side group, that would probably solve a lot of perception and image issues the Republican party has.

Several gay people I know steer away from the Republican party because of their stance on gay marriage and other such issues. If Republicans just embraced them and did everything they could to make them a full part of the party rather than some side group, that would probably solve a lot of perception and image issues the Republican party has.

And many gays figure there are more important issues. Pigeonholing people's politics based on whatever label you want to call them leads to many mistakes. Believe it or not, gays are just regular people, with the same complexities of belief that every one has.

Back
Top Bottom