• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush being sued over wiretaps, and more

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
News is breaking at a furious pace this week in regard to the illegal Bush administration wiretaps. I will give a rundown on everything, and will put the links in at the end:

1) 2 groups are filing lawsuits to determine if, journalists, scholars, political activists, ten defense attorneys, and other Americans with ties to the Middle East were spied upon in violation of the law.

2) Al Gore is calling for a special prosecutor. While this can be initially written off as partisan politics, Bob Barr and other traditional Conservatives, as well as Liberals, are joining Gore on this issue.

3) Robert S. Mueller III, director of the FBI, has raised concerns about the legality of the wiretaps.

4) The FBI is complaining that the NSA sent them thousands of leads, based on their wiretaps which either turned out to be dead ends, or which the FBI determined that those who were being spied upon were innocent.

5) Comments from law enforcement officials, including some at the top, indicate that the FBI is skeptical of the spying program's value.

6) Proof has come out that the NSA has been abusing its power by spying on peace groups which have no ties whatsover to terrorism, but which oppose administration policy.

7) While the Bush administration is claiming success in uncovering a plot to detonate a fertilizer bomb in London, and a plot to bring down the Brooklyn Bridge with a blowtorch, FBI spokemen say they already knew about those plots, and had uncovered both themselves without any illegally obtained NSA information, and by conventional and legal methods.

eight) The Bush administration has admitted to issuing an executive order to perform the illegal spying.

9) The tips passed to the FBI by the NSA were so poor that agents have developed a standard joke about how each tip received from the NSA meant they got to make more calls for pizza delivery, and therefore, the NSA should be thanked.

Link 1.

Link 2.

Link 3.

Link 4.

The next few weeks are going to be very interesting.

danarhea said:
News is breaking at a furious pace this week in regard to the illegal Bush administration wiretaps. I will give a rundown on everything, and will put the links in at the end:

1) 2 groups are filing lawsuits to determine if, journalists, scholars, political activists, ten defense attorneys, and other Americans with ties to the Middle East were spied upon in violation of the law.

2) Al Gore is calling for a special prosecutor. While this can be initially written off as partisan politics, Bob Barr and other traditional Conservatives, as well as Liberals, are joining Gore on this issue.

3) Robert S. Mueller III, director of the FBI, has raised concerns about the legality of the wiretaps.

4) The FBI is complaining that the NSA sent them thousands of leads, based on their wiretaps which either turned out to be dead ends, or which the FBI determined that those who were being spied upon were innocent.

5) Comments from law enforcement officials, including some at the top, indicate that the FBI is skeptical of the spying program's value.

6) Proof has come out that the NSA has been abusing its power by spying on peace groups which have no ties whatsover to terrorism, but which oppose administration policy.

7) While the Bush administration is claiming success in uncovering a plot to detonate a fertilizer bomb in London, and a plot to bring down the Brooklyn Bridge with a blowtorch, FBI spokemen say they already knew about those plots, and had uncovered both themselves without any illegally obtained NSA information, and by conventional and legal methods.

eight) The Bush administration has admitted to issuing an executive order to perform the illegal spying.

9) The tips passed to the FBI by the NSA were so poor that agents have developed a standard joke about how each tip received from the NSA meant they got to make more calls for pizza delivery, and therefore, the NSA should be thanked.

Link 1.

Link 2.

Link 3.

Link 4.

The next few weeks are going to be very interesting.
Then who's next in your "sueopoluza?" NRA? ACLU? Where will it end?

I also heard that dirty libtraitor Bob Barr is getting involved.

scottyz said:
I also heard that dirty libtraitor Bob Barr is getting involved.

You are not far off the mark. Someone called Bob Barr a Liberal in another thread. LMAO.

If these are civil court cases, I believe they should be delayed until after the Presidents duly elected completion of his term. ( Would that they had shown Clinton the same respect for the Oval office.)

If these are criminal cases, then drag Bush into court...make him testify under oath.

I remind all of you...with no judicial oversight, we have no idea who or what Bush is listening to...political enemies...peace activists...engaging in illegal insider trading?

Hoot said:
If these are civil court cases, I believe they should be delayed until after the Presidents duly elected completion of his term. ( Would that they had shown Clinton the same respect for the Oval office.)

If these are criminal cases, then drag Bush into court...make him testify under oath.

I remind all of you...with no judicial oversight, we have no idea who or what Bush is listening to...political enemies...peace activists...engaging in illegal insider trading?

I have no doubt he's listening in on people like you and me. Just last night, I had a lengthy phone conversation with my 11 year old son's teacher. We discussed his interest in science and English and his difficulty in math. Without question, Bush and his administration are listening in to these conversations....destroying the fabric of our culture and ripping the constitution to shreds. Terrorists are of no concern to this president. Bomb builders? That's small stuff. Our government can't be concerned with these little things. They have more important things to worry about....like peace activists and insider trading.

........... sarcasm off....................

KCConservative said:
I have no doubt he's listening in on people like you and me. Just last night, I had a lengthy phone conversation with my 11 year old son's teacher. We discussed his interest in science and English and his difficulty in math. Without question, Bush and his administration are listening in to these conversations....destroying the fabric of our culture and ripping the constitution to shreds. Terrorists are of no concern to this president. Bomb builders? That's small stuff. Our government can't be concerned with these little things. They have more important things to worry about....like peace activists and insider trading.

The Quakers never built a bomb, so why was the government spying on them?

danarhea said:
The Quakers never built a bomb, so why was the government spying on them?
Who said there wasn't a reason that isn't public?...Why are they guilty until proven innocent?...

Why do you keep calling them Quakers when, according to your own article, it says they are "Quaker-LINKED"?

According to the documents, the Pledge of Resistance-Baltimore, a Quaker-linked peace group, has been monitored by the NSA working with the Baltimore Intelligence Unit of the Baltimore City Police Department

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/National_Security_Agency_spied_on_Baltimore_0110.html

If I was a Quaker, I'd be insulted at you lumping me in with those I might not have the same beliefs with...

cnredd said:
Who said there wasn't a reason that isn't public?...Why are they guilty until proven innocent?...

Why do you keep calling them Quakers when, according to your own article, it says they are "Quaker-LINKED"?

According to the documents, the Pledge of Resistance-Baltimore, a Quaker-linked peace group, has been monitored by the NSA working with the Baltimore Intelligence Unit of the Baltimore City Police Department

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/National_Security_Agency_spied_on_Baltimore_0110.html

If I was a Quaker, I'd be insulted at you lumping me in with those I might not have the same beliefs with...

No one can say either way without judicial oversight.

cnredd said:

Really? Perhaps you dont know what the American Friends Service Committee is. Lets go to the homepage of the National office:

http://www.afsc.org/

Did you click on the link? Good. Now read what the home page says.

Quaker Values in Action

Now what is the connection between this group and the group that was targeted:

"
The Baltimore Pledge of Resistance is part of the national Iraq Pledge of Resistance, which works with the Baltimore Emergency Response Network and the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) -- part of a national group committed to nonviolent civil resistance to stop the war in Iraq."

Now who did I lump the Quakers in with? An organization that is dedicated to Quaker values, and does have Quaker members in it. It might not be part of the Quaker church, but you can bet your bottom dollar that members of the Quaker church are also members of the Baltimore Pledge of Resistance.

Just the same old hair splitting and word parsing you have shown in the past.

So much for your blatant and unmitigated dishonesty. Give it a rest.

Friends are Quakers. They started calling them quakers because they would shake during meetings.

KCConservative said:

You can take his word for it...I prefer judicial oversight. Hey...no one's above the law, right?

danarhea said:
Really? Perhaps you dont know what the American Friends Service Committee is. Lets go to the homepage of the National office:

http://www.afsc.org/

Did you click on the link? Good. Now read what the home page says.

Quaker Values in Action

Now what is the connection between this group and the group that was targeted:

"
The Baltimore Pledge of Resistance is part of the national Iraq Pledge of Resistance, which works with the Baltimore Emergency Response Network and the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) -- part of a national group committed to nonviolent civil resistance to stop the war in Iraq."

Now who did I lump the Quakers in with? An organization that is dedicated to Quaker values, and does have Quaker members in it. It might not be part of the Quaker church, but you can bet your bottom dollar that members of the Quaker church are also members of the Baltimore Pledge of Resistance.

Just the same old hair splitting and word parsing you have shown in the past.

So much for your blatant and unmitigated dishonesty. Give it a rest.

This just shows everyone here how inadequate your articles are...

I can ONLY go by what YOU post...It's not my job to say, "Let me go someplace to see if what is being written is correct"...

I MAY do that, but I'm not obligated to...

I went by YOUR original article...For YOU to tell me otherwise, that means that YOUR original article is wrong for saying that it was "Quaker-linked" and NOT saying they were actual Quakers...

You connecting the dots AFTERWARD shows the inadequacy of the original post...

I read an article that says "The Catholic Church argues against the building of a topless bar in Pheonix suburb"...

Well according to you, me being a Catholic and a member of the Catholic Church means that I am the one doing it or somehow endorsing it...Obviously false...

cnredd said:
This just shows everyone here how inadequate your articles are...

I can ONLY go by what YOU post...It's not my job to say, "Let me go someplace to see if what is being written is correct"...

I MAY do that, but I'm not obligated to...

I went by YOUR original article...For YOU to tell me otherwise, that means that YOUR original article is wrong for saying that it was "Quaker-linked" and NOT saying they were actual Quakers...

You connecting the dots AFTERWARD shows the inadequacy of the original post...

I read an article that says "The Catholic Church argues against the building of a topless bar in Pheonix suburb"...

Well according to you, me being a Catholic and a member of the Catholic Church means that I am the one doing it or somehow endorsing it...Obviously false...
Excellent. When you're right, you're right.

KCConservative said:
Excellent. When you're right, you're right.

How is he right? First, I don't think the Catholic and Catholic church comparison works in this situation. Second, what is the big deal with what danarhea said? When he said hair splitting, he was right.

Back
Top Bottom