• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Approval Plummets to 35%

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"President Bush's job approval has reached the lowest level yet," according to the latest CBS News poll. "Only 35 percent approve of the job he's doing."

"The plunge in poll numbers is another dose of bad news for a White House mired in it. The only recent president lower at this point in their second term was Richard Nixon."

Meanwhile, Vice President Cheney's approval is just 19 percent.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/02/eveningnews/main1005982.shtml

I thought that Bush and Cheney pledged that they would restore honor and integrity to the White House. What the heck happened?

aps said:
"President Bush's job approval has reached the lowest level yet," according to the latest CBS News poll. "Only 35 percent approve of the job he's doing."

"The plunge in poll numbers is another dose of bad news for a White House mired in it. The only recent president lower at this point in their second term was Richard Nixon."

Meanwhile, Vice President Cheney's approval is just 19 percent.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/02/eveningnews/main1005982.shtml

I thought that Bush and Cheney pledged that they would restore honor and integrity to the White House. What the heck happened?

The media decided against it...:shrug:

cnredd said:

Decided against what? Allowing Bush and Cheney to restore honesty and integrity to the White House? Sorry, but that's their own doing. To me, their unethical behavior is far worse than Nixon's was.

cnredd said:

Media, my ass. The media takes the polls, they don't create them.

Just more proof that we are stuck with TWO incompetent idiots.

Old and wise said:
Media, my ass. The media takes the polls, they don't create them.

Just more proof that we are stuck with TWO incompetent idiots.
Ummm...actually, they DO create them...

Polls are sometimes decided before the questions are even asked....

You could ask the VERY SAME QUESTION two different ways and the poll percentages would be vastly different...

Question - "Knowing that Rafael Palmiero was found to be taking steroids, do you think he should be in the Hall of Fame?"...Yes/No

Question - "Knowing that Rafeal Palmiero is one of two players who have ever had 3000 hits and 500 home runs, do you think he should be in the Hall of Fame?"...Yes/No

Same question...you will get two incredibly different answers...

I just read the Poll questions....I almost vomited...

Check it out...These are the questions BEFORE any questions about Bush...

DID SOMEONE IN BUSH ADMIN. LEAK AGENT'S NAME?
ARE THE CHARGES AGAINST LIBBY TRUE?
KARL ROVE: HIS ACTIONS IN CIA MATTER WERE…
LIBBY & ROVE: DO THEIR ACTIONS DESERVE PROSECUTION?
HAVE YOU HEARD OR READ ABOUT CIA LEAK INVESTIGATION?
HOW IMPORTANT TO THE NATION IS THE CIA LEAK MATTER?
THE CIA LEAK MATTER: MOSTLY POLITICS?

Notice something funny going on here???

Point #1) The Poll, ON PURPOSE, starts with a negative story asking people DIRECT QUESTIONS pertaining to an event that is still under investigation...It sets them up psychologically to have a negative feeling...just like my first question in post above...

Point #2) It's a two page questionnaire...There was not ONE WORD about GWB until the second page...they mention the whole administration once...:roll:

Point #3) Notice anything else?....If you're going to go this route, why not show ALL issues?...Where are these questions?!?!?!?

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE PRESIDENT'S INITIATIVE PERTAINING THE FLU VIRUS?
DO YOU FEEL THAT JUSTICE ALITO, WITH HIS 15 YEARS OF JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE, IS QUALIFIED TO BE ON THE SUPREME COURT BENCH?
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE PRESIDENT ACCEPTING THE WITHDRAWAL OF HARRIET MIERS?
DO YOU BELIEVE THE PRESIDENT'S UPCOMING VISIT TO SOUTH AMERICA WILL HELP FOREIGN RELATIONS?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/02/opinion/polls/main1005252.shtml

This is a bullshit poll...I would expect more from CBS...

cnredd said:
I just read the Poll questions....I almost vomited...

Check it out...These are the questions BEFORE any questions about Bush...

DID SOMEONE IN BUSH ADMIN. LEAK AGENT'S NAME?
ARE THE CHARGES AGAINST LIBBY TRUE?
KARL ROVE: HIS ACTIONS IN CIA MATTER WERE…
LIBBY & ROVE: DO THEIR ACTIONS DESERVE PROSECUTION?
HAVE YOU HEARD OR READ ABOUT CIA LEAK INVESTIGATION?
HOW IMPORTANT TO THE NATION IS THE CIA LEAK MATTER?
THE CIA LEAK MATTER: MOSTLY POLITICS?

Notice something funny going on here???

Point #1) The Poll, ON PURPOSE, starts with a negative story asking people DIRECT QUESTIONS pertaining to an event that is still under investigation...It sets them up psychologically to have a negative feeling...just like my first question in post above...

Point #2) It's a two page questionnaire...There was not ONE WORD about GWB until the second page...they mention the whole administration once...:roll:

Point #3) Notice anything else?....If you're going to go this route, why not show ALL issues?...Where are these questions?!?!?!?

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE PRESIDENT'S INITIATIVE PERTAINING THE FLU VIRUS?
DO YOU FEEL THAT JUSTICE ALITO, WITH HIS 15 YEARS OF JUDICIAL EXPERIENCE, IS QUALIFIED TO BE ON THE SUPREME COURT BENCH?
HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE PRESIDENT ACCEPTING THE WITHDRAWAL OF HARRIET MIERS?
DO YOU BELIEVE THE PRESIDENT'S UPCOMING VISIT TO SOUTH AMERICA WILL HELP FOREIGN RELATIONS?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/02/opinion/polls/main1005252.shtml

This is a bullshit poll...I would expect more from CBS...

So did everyone ask these types of questions when they did their polls? Everyone seems to be getting about the same approval rate. cnredd, wake up.

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm

Notice that Fox is the ONLY one of them that has Bush's disapproval in the 40% range. Everyone else has 50% or greater.

aps said:
So did everyone ask these types of questions when they did their polls? Everyone seems to be getting about the same approval rate. cnredd, wake up.

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm

Notice that Fox is the ONLY one of them that has Bush's disapproval in the 40% range. Everyone else has 50% or greater.
Not only am I awake...But I can do things like conider all of the options and see how facts are manipulated...

21 polls on your website...How many Conservative vs. How many Liberal?

The two lowest are from the SAME news organization(CBS).

I know math...add up the numbers of approval and devide by the number of polls and you get an average of 40.285%

It doesn't show how the questions were asked in each poll...I've already shown how CBS manipulated the questionnaire to set up a negative answer...Are any others doing the same?

Why the hard-on for Fox?...Is it because they are the ONLY Conservative News outlet on TV?....That makes them less reputable than any other?

Out of 21 Polls, why did you choose the one with the LOWEST percentage?

You could've EASILY put one up that said 45%(CNN/USATODAY/GALLUP)...but that wouldn't serve your purpose, huh?...:roll:

cnredd said:
Not only am I awake...But I can do things like conider all of the options and see how facts are manipulated...

I know math...add up the numbers of approval and devide by the number of polls and you get an average of 40.285%

It doesn't show how the questions were asked in each poll...I've already shown how CBS manipulated the questionnaire to set up a negative answer...Are any others doing the same?

Why the hard-on for Fox?...Is it because they are the ONLY Conservative News outlet on TV?....That makes them less reputable than any other?

You could've EASILY put one up that said 45%(CNN/USATODAY/GALLUP)...but that wouldn't serve your purpose, huh?...:roll:

So all of these organizations rigged the results or called a bunch of democrats? Hey, if you want to think Bush is more popular, you go right ahead.

Initially, I provided an article about CBS's poll, which is dated yesterday! I was addressing that poll only. The only reason I brought in the others is to show that your belief that the only way Bush could have received such a low % was based upon the questions asked. I am showing consistency.

I have watched Fox News and I am unimpressed with them. The hosts of shows like Hardball, Joe Scarborogh, Countown, and Connected treat both parties equally on their shows. Hannity and O'Reilly--OMG, what a joke they are.

Here's (conservative) Newsmax's poll info on Bush from last month.

Only 28 percent say the country is headed in the right direction while two-thirds, 66 percent, say it is on the wrong track, the poll found.
"There is a growing, deep-seated discontentment and pessimism about the direction of the country," said Republican strategist Tony Fabrizio, who believes the reasons for their pessimism differ for those in one political party or another.

Among those most likely to have lost confidence about the nation's direction over the past year are white evangelicals, down 30 percentage points since November, Republican women, down 28 points, Southerners, down 26 points, and suburban men, down 20 points.

The president's job approval is mired at the lowest level of his presidency — 39 percent. While four of five Republicans say they approve of Bush's job performance — enthusiasm in that support has dipped over the last year.
In December 2004, soon after his re-election, almost two-thirds of Republicans strongly approved of the job done by Bush. The AP-Ipsos survey found that just half in his own party feel that way now.

cnredd said:

credd,

I understand your point, but I think that the purpose of the first post was just to show a slide in Bush's approval rating-- not an unwarrented left-side bash on Bush. You must admit that in light of the string of recent events it is note-worthy to show how low approval ratings have dipped.

I agree that the way questions are worded make a difference in people's answer -- but the facts remain that recent situations have shed a negative light on Bush's administration. Unfortunately those things have overshadowed the positive things have done in recent months.

cnredd said:
Question - "Knowing that Rafael Palmiero was found to be taking steroids, do you think he should be in the Hall of Fame?"...Yes/No

Question - "Knowing that Rafeal Palmiero is one of two players who have ever had 3000 hits and 500 home runs, do you think he should be in the Hall of Fame?"...Yes/No

Same question...you will get two incredibly different answers...

What? How can you honestly say those are the same questions?

On the second question you leave out the fact that he took steroids which is medically proven to enhance a person's physical capabilities. This in turn had a very good chance of leading to his number of hits and home runs.

It's like saying these are the same questions.

Question - Tom was found to have murdered two people yesterday. Should he be sent to jail?

Question - Tom has been an outstanding citizen most of his life. Should he be sent to jail?

Last edited:
Presiden Bush,the bogeyman President as it were. The man who got elected scaring he American People telling them vote for me or the Bogeyman will get you.Is totaly depended on the war, If the war were going well he would be doing great.It isnt so he isnt.
Its not that the war is unpopular its that the way the President is running it is unpopular. He is loosing it,Thats what the people are starting to think !

JOHNYJ i hear what every has said all over this forum,has anyone come up with the anwser so we can get back to normal way of life,before it goes on and on.Some of u good people must know what to do.

I hope so because if u dont this will go on for a very long time.

MR BUSH made a mistake or has he in what he has done,i think he wants to keep the USA in the IRAQ for the safety for all of us,or is it the oil that he is after.

kind regards
mikeey

mikeey said:
JOHNYJ i hear what every has said all over this forum,has anyone come up with the anwser so we can get back to normal way of life,before it goes on and on.Some of u good people must know what to do.

I hope so because if u dont this will go on for a very long time.

MR BUSH made a mistake or has he in what he has done,i think he wants to keep the USA in the IRAQ for the safety for all of us,or is it the oil that he is after.

kind regards
mikeey

Both my friend. And for good reason.

1) For safety..A democratic Middle East is in our best interests. To end this Islamic extremist problem, the society in which they come from must change. This means the entire Middle East..not just Iraq. Not just Iran and not just Syria.

2) Oil..wouldn't it be nice to receive our oil from a democratic country instead of relying on the "House of Saud" (The true lords terror) for it? We can't do anything about Saudi as long as they have our balls in a vice and yours and my vehicles require gasoline and oil.

For both reasons...American security and interests play a part.

"Bush Approval Plummets to 35%"

Who cares? It only means that he is doing something right. Americans never know what is in their best interests. Want proof? Look at history.

Bush Presidency seen as unsuccessful

Pew Reasearch:
Summary of Findings

President George W. Bush's poll numbers are going from bad to worse. His job approval rating has fallen to another new low, as has public satisfaction with national conditions, which now stands at just 29%. And for the first time since taking office in 2001, a plurality of Americans believe that George W. Bush will be viewed as an unsuccessful president.

About four-in-ten (41%) say that, in the long run, Bush will be an unsuccessful president, up from 27% in January and the highest percentage expressing that view since he took office. About a quarter (26%) believe Bush will be successful * down 10 points since January * while 30% say it is too early to tell.

The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, conducted Oct. 6-10 among 1,500 adults, finds the president beset by problems on multiple fronts. The president's overall job approval rating has slipped to 38%. And on a number of issues, ranging from the federal budget deficit to relations with U.S. allies, majorities or pluralities say that Bush's policies have made things worse, not better.

In advance of Iraq's Oct. 15 constitutional referendum, public opinion on the war has taken a negative turn. For the first time since the war began, a majority of Americans (53%) say the U.S. military effort there is not going well. Half of Americans now say the decision to use military force in Iraq was wrong, up from 44% last month. Support for keeping U.S. forces in Iraq, which had remained stable over the past year, also has declined. As many Americans now say the U.S. should bring its troops home as soon as possible as favor keeping the troops there until Iraq is stable (48% vs. 47%).

While the presidential election is still more than three years off, Bush's problems are fueling a widespread desire for change. By a sizable margin (69%-25%), more Americans say that as they look ahead to the next election, they would prefer to see a president who offers different policies from the Bush administration rather than one offering programs similar to the Bush administration's. By comparison, as the Clinton administration was nearing the end of its tenure in June 2000, far fewer people expressed a desire for a change of course (52%).

Similarly, more people now believe that Bush will be viewed as an unsuccessful president than said that about President Clinton at any point in his administration. In October 1994, a low point of Clinton's presidency and just a month before the Republicans gained control of Congress, roughly a third (35%) believed Clinton would go down as an unsuccessful president, compared with 41% who say that about Bush currently. However, more people also think Bush will ultimately be successful than expressed that opinion about Clinton in October 1994 (26% vs. 14%).

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=259

As I recall even cnredd has touted Pew as a accurate source of polling info.

GySgt said:
Who cares? It only means that he is doing something right. Americans never know what is in their best interests.
By that logic, America would have been better off voting for Kerry.

scottyz said:
Bush Presidency seen as unsuccessful

Pew Reasearch:

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?ReportID=259

As I recall even cnredd has touted Pew as a accurate source of polling info.

So? And polls are supposed to prove that the job is not being done? Perhaps you prefer the polls of the 90's....oops..9/11. So much for what Americans "approve" of. Most of them don't know what the hell they want from day to day.

shuamort said:

Does it? They knew enough to stay the course and trust the proffessionals. But as always...they got bored.

Kerry didn't stand for anything.....or did he.....or didn't he......or did he....

shuamort said:

"The truth of that matter is, if you listen carefully, Saddam would still be in power if he (Kerry) were the president of the United States, and the world would be a lot better off." —George W. Bush, second presidential debate, St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 8, 2004

It's a funnny qoute out of context. In reality Bush was mocking Kerry on his stance of why people should vote for him (Kerry).

GySgt said:
"Bush Approval Plummets to 35%"

Who cares? It only means that he is doing something right. Americans never know what is in their best interests. Want proof? Look at history.

I care. It makes me happy to see his approval rating going down....down....down.

History does not necessarily repeat itself.

shuamort said:
By that logic we should all inject ourselves with the AIDS virus if Bush tells us it's the right thing to do. We should all blindly trust in the omniscient deity that illuminates a path only Bush can see.

I mean victims of the Spanish inquisition probably didn't know what was in their best interests either. :doh

scottyz said:
By that logic we should all inject ourselves with the AIDS virus if Bush tells us it's the right thing to do. We should all blindly trust in the omniscient deity that illuminates a path only Bush can see.

I mean victims of the Spanish inquisition probably didn't know what was best for their interestes either. :doh
You did understand my point though, right? It's a bit 'o reverse psychology. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom