• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Approval Plummets to 35%

galenrox said:
Just checking, you were stoned when you posted this, right?

Cause dude, come on! He's got the lowest second term approval ratings in 40 something years other than Nixon, are you dead seriously saying that that's not significant? And then think of some of the stuff that's happened to 2 term presidents, Reagan and the Iran Contra, Clinton got impeached, and we as a nation currently think poorer of Bush than we did of either of those people under either of those circumstances, just think about that dude
actually, check the polls of the same type that happened in Clinton's botched second term. the approval rate of Clinton was at ZERO!!! no president has ever reached a rating that low.

RightatNYU said:
"Do you approve or disapprove of the job the Democratic leaders in Congress are doing?"

Approve - 32%
Disapprove - 48%

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the Republicans in Congress are handling their job?"

Approve - 32%
Disapprove - 52%

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way President Bush is handling his job?"

Approve - 38%
Disapprove - 56%

thank you, i have been meaning to post this to back up my previous claims that though Bush's ratings are low, the Dems in congress is even lower
hadnt heard the repubs stats before.

RightatNYU said:
Take a gander at this:

Pew Research Center for the People & the Press survey conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates International. Oct. 6-10, 2005. N=1,500 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the job the Democratic leaders in Congress are doing?"

Approve - 32%
Disapprove - 48%
How about this poll from this weekend from ABC News?

Question: Which Party Do You Trust to Handle…

Economy 56% - DEMS 34% - Repubs.

Social Security 56% - DEMS 29% - Repubs.

Education 55% - DEMS 32% - Repubs.

Health Care 54% - DEMS 29% - Repubs.

Taxes 48% - DEMS 38% - Repubs.

Iraq 48% - DEMS 37% - Repubs.

Federal Budget 48% - DEMS 34% - Repubs.

Gas Prices 47% - DEMS 26% - Repubs.

Terrorism 42% - DEMS 42% - Repubs.

Ethics 42% - DEMS 36% - Repubs.
Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/PollVault/story?id=1283170

Interesting that in every category the country is shifting away from Vush and his party. Is it time for the Republicans to pay the piper? Too soon to know, the election of 2006 is a year away.

However, how long do you think that Republican politicians are going to hitch their wagon to Bush's policies if these poll numbers do not improve? If it's Spring 2006 and these numbers hold what will Republicans do? Time will tell.

How about these questions from the same poll?

D= Democrats R = Republicans

Questions regarding Party Attributes:

Is more open to ideas of political moderates 60% -D 24% -R

Is more concerned with needs of people like you 56% - D 33% -R

Better represents your values 50% - D 40% -R

Has stronger leaders 35% - D 51% - R
When's the last time Democrats have had numbers like this? I think pre-1994? I'm guessing that Ken Mellman is $hitting in his pants right now as are his best buds.

You can discount polls all you want but there is a definite scientific methodology employed that makes them legitimate to a great extent. If not, then why do all politicians poll?

galenrox said:
Just checking, you were stoned when you posted this, right?

Cause dude, come on! He's got the lowest second term approval ratings in 40 something years other than Nixon, are you dead seriously saying that that's not significant? And then think of some of the stuff that's happened to 2 term presidents, Reagan and the Iran Contra, Clinton got impeached, and we as a nation currently think poorer of Bush than we did of either of those people under either of those circumstances, just think about that dude

That's completely, 100% untrue.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-10-17-bushapproval_x.htm

Every president since 1963 has had approval ratings at one time or another that were lower than Bush's current rating. Those ratings include Lyndon Johnson's 35%, Richard Nixon's 24%, Gerald Ford's 37%, Jimmy Carter's 28%, Ronald Reagan's 35%, the elder George Bush's 29% and Bill Clinton's 37%.

Bush's approval rating right now is at 39%, (the average of all recent polls)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/polls.html

That means so far, he's doing the best out of every president since 1963.

This is the problem with a biased media, everyone thinks they know something "for sure."

dthmstr254 said:
well, when we find 15 of OBL's henchman in Iraq, I seem to get the thought that they were there for a reason. otherwise, they wouldn't be there. Iraq had served as an easy country to hide out in when Hussein was on the throne. and at least five of those men were cohorts to Hussein. one man being in both circles might be coincidental, but five of fifteen?
First let me say: :wcm

Second, however, I need to ask what are you talking about? Please provide links to reputable sources that explain what you mean?

dthmstr254 said:
actually, check the polls of the same type that happened in Clinton's botched second term. the approval rate of Clinton was at ZERO!!! no president has ever reached a rating that low.
What are you talking about? You can't believe that we would believe you?

:thumbdown :laughat: :slapme:

26 X World Champs said:
How about this poll from this weekend from ABC News?

Question: Which Party Do You Trust to Handle…

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/PollVault/story?id=1283170

Interesting that in every category the country is shifting away from Vush and his party. Is it time for the Republicans to pay the piper? Too soon to know, the election of 2006 is a year away.

However, how long do you think that Republican politicians are going to hitch their wagon to Bush's policies if these poll numbers do not improve? If it's Spring 2006 and these numbers hold what will Republicans do? Time will tell.

How about these questions from the same poll?

D= Democrats R = Republicans

Questions regarding Party Attributes:

When's the last time Democrats have had numbers like this? I think pre-1994? I'm guessing that Ken Mellman is $hitting in his pants right now as are his best buds.

You can discount polls all you want but there is a definite scientific methodology employed that makes them legitimate to a great extent. If not, then why do all politicians poll?

Champs, you really, truly don't understand the methodology, intent, malleability, and impact of polls like this.

First off: Generic party based polls such as this don't matter in the slightest. Whether or not someone has a better general impression of a party doesn't affect their LOCAL race, which is all that is being voted on in 2006. In the 2006, because of incumbency and safe seats, there are only 30 seats in play in the house and far fewer in the Senate. While the numbers now tend toward the dems, it's a near impossibility for them to win back both House and Senate (or even many seats) at this rate

Don't believe me? Look at history. From your very own article:

But a year can be a millennium in political terms, and midterm elections are far more complicated than a single popularity contest. With incumbent re-election rates usually over 90 percent, it takes a nationalized congressional election — with a differentiated, unifying theme and anti-incumbent sentiment — to create real change. The template is the Republicans' realigning election of 1994, when they gained 52 House seats and the control they still enjoy today.

Those elements, thus far, are lacking for 2006. Sixty percent of Americans approve of the work their own representative is doing (compared with 49 percent in October 1994). Despite trailing virtually everywhere else, the Republicans hold a 16-point advantage, 51-35 percent, as the party that has stronger leaders. And Republicans are more unified behind their party's leadership than are Democrats behind theirs.

But perhaps the biggest challenge for the Democrats is differentiation: Even with their edge on issues, just 44 percent of Americans say the Democrats are offering the country a clear direction that's different from the Republicans. (And notably, just 38 percent of independents say so.) That suggests that the current state of play says more about Republican weaknesses than Democratic strengths.

So it's not that people like the democrats, they just don't happen to be the ones at the helm at the moment. Needs a LOT more than that to swing an election.

But what's that you say? The sweeping support for the dems will carry them to victory in 2006? Let's take another look at your article, for some historical context.

Indeed, 55 percent of Americans in this ABC News/Washington Post poll say they'd like to see the Democrats take control of Congress in 2006. And if the election were today, registered voters would favor the Democrat in their congressional district by 52-37 percent.

That 15-point margin is numerically the biggest for the Democrats since an ABC/Post poll in September 1984 (they ultimately lost 14 seats)

So, last time that a poll showed them doing this well, they LOST 14 SEATS. How do you possibly infer from THAT that this means they're going to do well? Hell, if I were Mehlman, I'd be doing a dance right now...

What's more than that, ABC declined to release this poll's methodology or demographics. That's a big freaking red flag right there for any educated observer. If they can't provide their methodology, I don't believe their results.

dthmstr254 said:

Uh.....do you purposefully attempt to make yourself seem ignorant....
There has never been a poll that showed Zero for any president....ever.

I am reminded of a wonderful quote from a very smart man:

"It is better to remain silent, and be considered a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -B. Franklin

tecoyah said:

"It is better to ramain silent, and be considered a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -B. Franklin

Me too, actually.

"It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool that to misspell words while quoting me and remove all doubt." - What BF would have said

=P:smile:

tecoyah said:
"It is better to remain silent, and be considered a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -B. Franklin

Bonnie Franklin said that?!?!?....

Did she say it to Schneider?...;)

Attachments

• 15585ae_1_b.jpg
    15585ae_1_b.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1
RightatNYU said:
Me too, actually.

"It is better to remain silent and be considered a fool that to misspell words while quoting me and remove all doubt." - What BF would have said

=P:smile:

Thanks for the catch there...uh NYU, I will be sure to avoid all alcohol before returning to your site.Sides...Ay Aint too braht

tecoyah said:
Thanks for the catch there...uh NYU, I will be sure to avoid all alcohol before returning to your site.Sides...Ay Aint too braht

If alcohol is involved, misspellings are encouraged.

hell, posting and alcohol were made for each other, like coke and 50 dollar bills

Originally Posted by 26 X World Champs:

Without giving them 100% of the blame, but most of the blame, and after the quagmire in Iraq, our standing to the rest of the world, the response to Katrina and the last 5 years of enduring the "lyin' king", will there even be a Republican party left for next years elections? I know physically, they will be around. But as an influential party, turn out the lights...

Billo_Really said:
Without giving them 100% of the blame, but most of the blame, and after the quagmire in Iraq, our standing to the rest of the world, the response to Katrina and the last 5 years of enduring the "lyin' king", will there even be a Republican party left for next years elections? I know physically, they will be around. But as an influential party, turn out the lights...

Did you read the above post? There will be little or no change in the 2006 elections.

galenrox said:
Ah ha ha, but you misread what I said, I said 2nd term presidents!
http://www.jsonline.com/news/nat/oct05/366737.asp

namely it's really just Clinton and Reagan, but considering what both Clinton and Reagan went through, it says a lot.

Bastard, trying to get me on a technicality.:doh

He's still doing better.

tecoyah said:

and it is better to remain checked up on the news than to remain in the dark and not see anything. I watched a news telecast the day before the impeachment, and the polls that they used showed that the answer of approval was >1%.

dthmstr254 said:
and it is better to remain checked up on the news than to remain in the dark and not see anything. I watched a news telecast the day before the impeachment, and the polls that they used showed that the answer of approval was >1%.
Let me make this perfectly clear (do I sound like Tricky Dick?) you're completely and utterly wrong. How you can even consider what you wrote to be true is mind boggling!

Let me inform you how wrong you are. President Clinton was impeached on December 19, 1998. At that moment his approval rating was 66%!

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/02/opinion/polls/main1005327.shtml

Yes, Clinton had a 66% approval rating when impeached! It actually never fell below 64% in 1998.

Not sure what you think you were watching? Maybe it was Saturday Night Live?

Originally posted by RightatNYU:
Did you read the above post? There will be little or no change in the 2006 elections.
What post above are you refering too?

26 X World Champs said:
Let me make this perfectly clear (do I sound like Tricky Dick?) you're completely and utterly wrong. How you can even consider what you wrote to be true is mind boggling!

Let me inform you how wrong you are. President Clinton was impeached on December 19, 1998. At that moment his approval rating was 66%!

Source: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/02/opinion/polls/main1005327.shtml

Yes, Clinton had a 66% approval rating when impeached! It actually never fell below 64% in 1998.

Not sure what you think you were watching? Maybe it was Saturday Night Live?
not in my hometown, and my hometown has proven to be mostly dems.

The problem for the dems in the 2006 elections is there are very few republican seat in jeapordy whereas that is not the same with the dems.......

Originally posted by Navy Pride:
The problem for the dems in the 2006 elections is there are very few republican seat in jeapordy whereas that is not the same with the dems.......
I'm not sure if I like the more kinder, gentler, diplomatic Pride. What happened to all the fire and anger I used to love to read?

Billo_Really said:
I don't see what that has to do with the assertion that Katrina was the last straw tolerating the neo-con government thus ushering in a changing of the guard which will be obvious to all this time next year.

Actually.....it's sort of as Navy said. The problems facing the dems are that very few seats are actually in play, and that the elections are a YEAR away. Polls now have less than no effect on how things will actually play out.

Billo_Really said:
I'm not sure if I like the more kinder, gentler, diplomatic Pride. What happened to all the fire and anger I used to love to read?

As The Terminator says, "I'll be back."

Back
Top Bottom