• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Approval Plummets to 35%

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,728
Reaction score
1,688
Location
Scooping Zeus' Poop
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
RightatNYU said:
You do realize that this ONE poll that placed Bush at 35% is comparable to Clinton's low during his second term, of 37%, right?

And how is Clinton looked at now?

Besides the fact, this is all assuming that

a) Public opinion matters (which it doesn't), and
b) That the public knows anything about the facts (which it doesn't)

"Approval ratings" are just about the most useless snapshots of a specific moment in time as you can get.
.
Doing what is popular is not always right
doing what is right is not always popular
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
DeeJayH said:
and yet he lost his license to practice law, did he not?
So? Did his lie jeopardize our national security? Yeah, I didn't think so.
 

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
aps said:
So? Did his lie jeopardize our national security? Yeah, I didn't think so.
One could make a case that the way other countries viewed us during this scandal, could have given our enemies a moment of underestimation, that may have lead to an attack on a weak nation who's president was only concerned with cheap, quick sex. It speaks volumes about our intuition, and judgment. We may have even have lost the fear and concern that kept certain countries in line, and were now seen as a reckless, self absorbed, irresponsible nation, only powerful because of our wealth. This certainly was followed by UBL, and his gang of malcontents,;)
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Deegan said:
One could make a case that the way other countries viewed us during this scandal, could have given our enemies a moment of underestimation, that may have lead to an attack on a weak nation who's president was only concerned with cheap, quick sex. It speaks volumes about our intuition, and judgment. We may have even have lost the fear and concern that kept certain countries in line, and were now seen as a reckless, self absorbed, irresponsible nation, only powerful because of our wealth. This certainly was followed by UBL, and his gang of malcontents,;)
His "only concern" was cheap sex. In the 8 years he was president, that was what his sole concern was? Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Sure it made some people think poorly of his moral values, although I have a hard time thinking that people around the world projected that on all Americans.

This issue with Bush will play out. If it was showed that he lied to us, the United States will suffer some serious repercussions.
 

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,728
Reaction score
1,688
Location
Scooping Zeus' Poop
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
26 X World Champs said:
So what! I'm not aware that losing one's law license is a crime? Is it in your state?
didn't he lose it for commiting a crime?
that being perjury
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
aps said:
They are? I don't believe that Nixon EVER recovered from his low approval rating. Clinton was able to overcome it because he is a charasmatic person. Bush may have some charisma, but his lying to get us into a war will permanently affect how people view him.
Do you really think "approval ratings" from a survey matter? Approval ratings are simply a measure of how happy that particular person is at that exact moment.

Watch the economy go up, alito get through, iraq settle down, and in 6 months he'll be back above 50.

Who cares?
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
26 X World Champs said:
Clinton was found NOT GUILTY by the Senate, exonnerated of what he as accused of. That decision was accepted by the people of the USA (except those of you who think a lie about sex is worse than lying to start a war).
I'm not going to address the rest of your post, but don't be disingenuous. You know as well as I that the vote not to impeach Clinton was a vote to avoid having to take such drastic measures, not a "Not guilty of perjury" vote.
 

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
DeeJayH said:
didn't he lose it for commiting a crime?
that being perjury
He bargained with the Special Prosecutor to accept the loss of his law license in return for no charges being brought against him. Hence, no charges, no "committing a crime" since you have to be CONVICTED of said crime, and he wasn't even charged.

Why must the anti-Clinton mob in this community constantly write that he was convicted of perjury?

Can't you give it up now, it's been 5 years! Don't you realize how pathetic it is to write about Clinton over and over again? This thread is about BUSH and his lousy performance and lousy ratings from the American public. Let's all be big boys and leave President Clinton out of this thread?
 

DeeJayH

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,728
Reaction score
1,688
Location
Scooping Zeus' Poop
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
26 X World Champs said:
He bargained with the Special Prosecutor to accept the loss of his law license in return for no charges being brought against him. Hence, no charges, no "committing a crime" since you have to be CONVICTED of said crime, and he wasn't even charged.

Why must the anti-Clinton mob in this community constantly write that he was convicted of perjury?

Can't you give it up now, it's been 5 years! Don't you realize how pathetic it is to write about Clinton over and over again? This thread is about BUSH and his lousy performance and lousy ratings from the American public. Let's all be big boys and leave President Clinton out of this thread?
ok
so he commited perjury( as i previously posted), and in a plea bargain, lost his license rather than be prosecuted
gotcha
no crime there ;) :doh

and i suppose by your logic OJ did not hack off nicoles head
and the King of Pop doesnt sample from the pedophile buffet
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
DeeJayH said:
.
Doing what is popular is not always right
doing what is right is not always popular
Indeed.:smile:
 

alienken

Active member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
369
Reaction score
4
Location
near Houston, Texas
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
galenrox said:
I'd have to say I'd rather the perception of our president to be completely insane who will kill you rather than look at you over a pervert, cause at least people are afraid for their lives around a man who has very clearly lost his mind, and isn't smart enough to figure it out.
But dude, come on, at least Clinton was smart. Notice how they waited to attack the WTCs again till after he left? Cause they knew they could get by Bush, cause Bush is a moron.
Why would they be afraid of Clinton?They were carrying out a one sided war. The Clinton admin. did not respond to the list of attacks before Sept.11 and like dealing with anyother terrorist- lack of response is considered weakness. Why did Binladen release an anti-Bush (that sounded alot like what the Dems. where saying) video when PRES. Bush was running for re-election? How did PRES. Bush get a NBA from Harvard if he is a moron?
 

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
DeeJayH said:
ok so he commited perjury( as i previously posted), and in a plea bargain, lost his license rather than be prosecuted gotcha no crime there
Do you live in the USA? I ask because as far as I know all 50 states have the same basic laws, namely that if you're not charged, not tried and not convicted you are not guilty of anything.

The fact that you want Clinton to be guilty doesn't make it so, you're not omnipotent.

The fact that Clinton lied about sex versus Bush lying to start a war apparently escapes you? You seem to have an intense hatred for President Clinton, so much so that you make up convictions (aka lies) about him?

If you want to live in a country that has a kangaroo court system you're going to have to leave the USA. Otherwise you might just have to (no pun intended) suck it up and accept the truth.

On another note, how come you seem to be giving Bush a free pass for starting a war under false pretense? Blow jobs are criminal and war crimes are not?

WOW!
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
26 X World Champs said:
Do you live in the USA? I ask because as far as I know all 50 states have the same basic laws, namely that if you're not charged, not tried and not convicted you are not guilty of anything.
There you go again being disingenuous. If I am drunk driving and hit someone with my car and plea bargain down to DWI, does that mean I didn't hit them with my car?

Just because you plea bargain down to something doesnt mean the actual crime itself magically goes away...
 

Canuck

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
849
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
He shouldnt even be there he stole the election through the use of electronic
vote machines unheard of in any democracy to not have a papper trail

America = is a jaunta = A BANANA REPUBLIC =USA

And Americans still sleep they have lost democracy in every sense of the word
and they sleep
it's pathetic


"Those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: Your tactics only aid the terrorists for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve. They give ammunition to America's enemies and pause to America's friends"
-- Former Attorney General, John Ashcroft


http://www.rense.com/general68/pol.htm
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
RightatNYU said:
Do you really think "approval ratings" from a survey matter? Approval ratings are simply a measure of how happy that particular person is at that exact moment.

Watch the economy go up, alito get through, iraq settle down, and in 6 months he'll be back above 50.

Who cares?
You obviously do. You keep arguing about how polls are meaningless. Trying to convince yourself?
 

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
RightatNYU said:
There you go again being disingenuous. If I am drunk driving and hit someone with my car and plea bargain down to DWI, does that mean I didn't hit them with my car?

Just because you plea bargain down to something doesnt mean the actual crime itself magically goes away...
Hijacking the thread? This is about Bush, not President Clinton...I prefer to stay on topic and discuss how weak our current President is.

Bush is bringing us all down all over the world. People hate America now like no other time in our history, and Bush is 100% responsible for our decline.

It is my sincere belief that Bush has added to the dedication of our enemy to terrorize us, to defeat us. He is a rallying point for our enemy. In many ways they draw their strength from the intense hatred for America that Bush brings out in them.

Our enemies were our enemies before Bush took over. There was tremendous hatred for the American way pre-Bush. Sadly, in retrospect, that hatred was miniscule compared to where Bush has taken it in the last 5 years.

I absolutely believe we are less safe today then we were on January 19th, 2001, and Bush's record is making all of our lives scarier, and he is bringing us all closer to the edge.
 

dthmstr254

I'm a pig, a real pig.
Joined
Sep 11, 2005
Messages
702
Reaction score
0
Location
Chatanooga Tennessee at Tennessee Temple Universit
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
RightatNYU said:
Name this horrible, awful, terrible president.

-He dragged the US into a war that they had no reason to be in.
the same reason was used during the Second World War. didn't get us very far, did it?

-The nations we attacked had not attacked us, or in any way forced us to take action against them.
the same answer as the above answer.

-It was largely thought that the president entered the war to secure US economic interests, although he claimed that he entered the war to "spread democracy in an area that was oppressed."
and exactly what economic reasons could Bush have had to enter Iraq??? to add more war debt to our quota???

-The war cost the United States over 200 billion dollars.
and yet you say he went to Iraq to fulfill economic interests??? war is ALWAYS expensive, and going to war with the extremely high amount of debt our nation owes makes the war economically unsound. and since people don't want to pay higher taxes, even without the war we can't pay the debt off. the amount of debt we have right now would require EVERY working age person to devote $27,078.39 today to pay it off. and each five seconds, a cent is added to that number. that is a lot of money. assuming that it is an exponential raise, you have to use the formula of
to find an answer

-It started off involving some 25 nations, but most of them dropped out, leaving the US and one or two allies to handle it on their own.
well, maybe those nations should have helped. we tried to get the UN to do something to help out the people in Iraq, but did that work? I think not!

-Hundreds of thousands of civilians were killed.
by Suddam's administration
and hundreds of millions were saved by US military

-The public outrage against the president was enormous, and he was deeply hated throughout the US.
not until after John Kerry turned them against him.

-The president claimed that he was not trying to occupy the countries, and as soon as was able, passed soverignity back to the countries that were invaded.
yes, and the country is now to the point that the people are allowed to vote without it affecting them or their families.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Canuck said:
He shouldnt even be there he stole the election through the use of electronic
vote machines unheard of in any democracy to not have a papper trail

America = is a jaunta = A BANANA REPUBLIC =USA

And Americans still sleep they have lost democracy in every sense of the word
and they sleep
it's pathetic


"Those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: Your tactics only aid the terrorists for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve. They give ammunition to America's enemies and pause to America's friends"
-- Former Attorney General, John Ashcroft


http://www.rense.com/general68/pol.htm

I missed you. <3
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
aps said:
You obviously do. You keep arguing about how polls are meaningless. Trying to convince yourself?
Because I'm trying to educate the ignorant means that somehow I'm justifying things to myself? Right.
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
26 X World Champs said:
Hijacking the thread? This is about Bush, not President Clinton...I prefer to stay on topic and discuss how weak our current President is.
I'm no more off topic than you are.

Bush is bringing us all down all over the world. People hate America now like no other time in our history, and Bush is 100% responsible for our decline.
Right. Bush is 100% responsible. You make yourself seem foolish with statements like these.

It is my sincere belief that Bush has added to the dedication of our enemy to terrorize us, to defeat us. He is a rallying point for our enemy. In many ways they draw their strength from the intense hatred for America that Bush brings out in them.

Our enemies were our enemies before Bush took over. There was tremendous hatred for the American way pre-Bush. Sadly, in retrospect, that hatred was miniscule compared to where Bush has taken it in the last 5 years.

I absolutely believe we are less safe today then we were on January 19th, 2001, and Bush's record is making all of our lives scarier, and he is bringing us all closer to the edge.
There is absolutely no empirical evidence to support any of this. Basically, what it boils down to is that YOU feel this way because of your already inherent biases. That doesn't cut it for an argument for me.

You don't think that there was going to be another terror attack after 9/11? Funny, because it was nearly a universal opinion of the press and experts alike that there would almost certainly be another 9/11 style attack. One could make the argument that the reason there hasn't been such an attack again is "100%" because of Bush...
 

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
25,893
Reaction score
12,484
Location
New York, NY
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
dthmstr254 said:
the same reason was used during the Second World War. didn't get us very far, did it?
the same answer as the above answer.
and exactly what economic reasons could Bush have had to enter Iraq??? to add more war debt to our quota???
and yet you say he went to Iraq to fulfill economic interests??? war is ALWAYS expensive, and going to war with the extremely high amount of debt our nation owes makes the war economically unsound. and since people don't want to pay higher taxes, even without the war we can't pay the debt off. the amount of debt we have right now would require EVERY working age person to devote $27,078.39 today to pay it off. and each five seconds, a cent is added to that number. that is a lot of money. assuming that it is an exponential raise, you have to use the formula of
to find an answer
well, maybe those nations should have helped. we tried to get the UN to do something to help out the people in Iraq, but did that work? I think not!
by Suddam's administration
and hundreds of millions were saved by US military
not until after John Kerry turned them against him.
yes, and the country is now to the point that the people are allowed to vote without it affecting them or their families.
Read the second half of that post....:doh :roll:
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Canuck said:
He shouldnt even be there he stole the election through the use of electronic
vote machines unheard of in any democracy to not have a papper trail

America = is a jaunta = A BANANA REPUBLIC =USA

And Americans still sleep they have lost democracy in every sense of the word
and they sleep
it's pathetic


"Those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: Your tactics only aid the terrorists for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve. They give ammunition to America's enemies and pause to America's friends"
-- Former Attorney General, John Ashcroft


http://www.rense.com/general68/pol.htm
Welcome back gordon...I mean Canuck. :lol:
 
Top Bottom