• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bush and Blair plotted to keep Brown from power

Laila

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The White House warnings, which were reiterated by other leading US-based figures, played a key role in Mr Blair’s attempt to cling on to power until at least 2008, and to groom David Miliband as his successor, The Sunday Telegraph has been told.

Mr Blair hatched his plot to stay on longer than planned after being told that President Bush and those around him would have “big problems” working with Mr Brown.
Senior officials in the US administration sounded the alert after a meeting between Mr Brown and Condoleezza Rice, Mr Bush’s secretary of state, in which Mr Brown “harangued” her over American policy on aid, development and Africa.

After the uncomfortable session, sources said she reported her misgivings to the White House, and they were sent on in turn to Mr Blair.

How Bush and Blair plotted in secret to stop Brown - Telegraph

WD on Brown with that coup. Groom Miliband indeed :doh

They needn't have bothered. Brown turned out to be just as much an incompetent, offensive, sleaze-ridden, shambles of a treasonous liability to the British People as the grinning jackanapes himself!

Dong-cheese, the lot of 'em!

Last edited:
"Tony Blair attempted to prolong his time as prime minister after he was warned that George W Bush’s US administration had “grave doubts” about Gordon Brown’s suitability to follow him into No10, well placed sources have revealed".

It seems the British electorate felt the same way.

Personally, I think Blair had other reasons for his prolonged stay in power. Whatever the agreement that Blair and Brown are supposed to have reached - Blair was always the more electable / re-electable (as we saw in the last election).
Wednesday's Andrew Marr interview of Tony Blair may reveal something about US meddling but I'm highly doubtful the US would have wanted David Milliband in power - he may be jewish but he was also prepared to criticise Israel over Lebanon.

Maybe it is me... but should there not be a massive outrage over the US meddling in who runs the UK? I am mean who the hell do they think they are?

For that matter, the same can be asked of the EU. And why, though the government is in full accord with our new supreme level of authority, no referenda are issued to the people on the most vital of sovereignty issues when they can be ducked. (The Irish had TWO on Lisbon while we had none.)

Maybe it is me... but should there not be a massive outrage over the US meddling in who runs the UK? I am mean who the hell do they think they are?

I don't think anyone really believed the US meddled - Bush may have convinced Blair to stay on but I think in Blair's last years he had fallen in love with the position and continued to feel he was best placed to win (which he kept doing).

I need to check but I feel there was something said sometime by the US about the last election or the previous one.

I don't think anyone really believed the US meddled - Bush may have convinced Blair to stay on but I think in Blair's last years he had fallen in love with the position and continued to feel he was best placed to win (which he kept doing).

I need to check but I feel there was something said sometime by the US about the last election or the previous one.

There was. Bush loved to meddle in the elections of other nations.. look at Australia where he pretty much endorsed Howard lol.

How can you not believe in the influence the USA has and continues to have over the UK, the crooks in the USA tell the UK to jump, the UK asks 'How high and in what direction'?
Blair always loved the idea and actuality of the position he was elected to, he continues to love himself and vainly imagines that he is doing 'good' for the rest of humanity.
In reality he was 'much like another lawyer in a different country' too dammed stupid to listen to others who may have had practical options, instead preferring to heed the theoretical beliefs of bookworms.
Unfortunately Britain has now somehow to dig itself out from under the enormous pile of debt that Blair and his ilk have gotten the UK into.

For that matter, the same can be asked of the EU. And why, though the government is in full accord with our new supreme level of authority, no referenda are issued to the people on the most vital of sovereignty issues when they can be ducked. (The Irish had TWO on Lisbon while we had none.)

And you can of course provide proof that the EU even remotely tried to influence British elections right?

How can you not believe in the influence the USA has and continues to have over the UK, the crooks in the USA tell the UK to jump, the UK asks 'How high and in what direction'?
Blair always loved the idea and actuality of the position he was elected to, he continues to love himself and vainly imagines that he is doing 'good' for the rest of humanity.
In reality he was 'much like another lawyer in a different country' too dammed stupid to listen to others who may have had practical options, instead preferring to heed the theoretical beliefs of bookworms.
Unfortunately Britain has now somehow to dig itself out from under the enormous pile of debt that Blair and his ilk have gotten the UK into.

Influence over the UK policy yes - influence over UK elections is another matter.

Personally, I think Blair had other reasons for his prolonged stay in power. Whatever the agreement that Blair and Brown are supposed to have reached - Blair was always the more electable / re-electable (as we saw in the last election).
Wednesday's Andrew Marr interview of Tony Blair may reveal something about US meddling but I'm highly doubtful the US would have wanted David Milliband in power - he may be jewish but he was also prepared to criticise Israel over Lebanon.

Those "other reasons" might have been that the British people continued to elect him.

What is "US meddling" in the UK? Them offering an opinion?

Countries do it all the time.

They probably thought they were they best friend the UK ever had and that their opinion might carry some weight, just as previous presidents and PM's have worked together to further common interest

Brits might be pleased to know that that their politics, as well as most other areas, is now being met with, at best, complete indifference by the American and Canadian people.

Perhaps you can meddle together now with France, Germany and Belgium instead. That should work well.

Brits might be pleased to know that that their politics, as well as most other areas, is now being met with, at best, complete indifference by the American and Canadian people.

I'd hazard a guess a high percentage of the American public could not name a British politician, let alone offer an informed opinion.

Paul

They probably thought they were they best friend the UK ever had and that their opinion might carry some weight, just as previous presidents and PM's have worked together to further common interest

Perhaps you can meddle together now with France, Germany and Belgium instead. That should work well.

Who is the British PM now anyway?

And does it matter to anyone outside Britain?

Some smart Brit will soon write a book, I'm sure, on how do go from a world player to a nonentity in just a few years..

Actually the relationship over the past generation has been tenuous and declining but now it is done like dinner. That's when people will finally notice.

Those "other reasons" might have been that the British people continued to elect him.

What is "US meddling" in the UK? Them offering an opinion?

Countries do it all the time.

I could start with rendition flights, involving us in US wars - especially false ones like Iraq, go further with pushing for various Eastern European countries to be fast tracked into Europe only for the UK to have millions of Poles, Slavs and Romanians with easy access to the UK jobs market. Of course countries do it all the time - but not on the scale the US does it.

Anyhow - back to the subject of the thread - anyone catch Nicvk Robinson on BBC news? I only caught the end of the article but some interesting tidbits coming out about Blair being driven to drink in his last years because of Gordon Brown. Tomorrow's interview on the BBC of Tony Blair is going to be very interesting viewing indeed.

iPlayer link available soon -

BBC iPlayer - BBC News at Ten: 31/08/2010

Anyhow - back to the subject of the thread - anyone catch Nicvk Robinson on BBC news? I only caught the end of the article but some interesting tidbits coming out about Blair being driven to drink in his last years because of Gordon Brown.

Or was it his guilty conscience at having reneged on their Granita agreement, stabbed Brown in the back at every opportunity and clung onto power more parasitically than a pilot fish on a shark's arse? Blair was a Tory as a teenager and remained and remains so to this day. Truly, Labour's worst-ever leader.

:lol:

David Cameron..

Ha, I think that Paris knows us very well but tonight after two glasses of wine he muddled James Callaghan with David Cameron - just the sort of mistake I would make. ;)

Ha, I think that Paris knows us very well but tonight after two glasses of wine he muddled James Callaghan with David Cameron - just the sort of mistake I would make. ;)

James Callaghan had many, many faults but David Cameron isn't fit to be mentioned in the same sentence.

James Callaghan had many, many faults but David Cameron isn't fit to be mentioned in the same sentence.

It was late at night and I was not so deep. Simply Callaghan and Cameron have a similar sound in my mind. That is why I could see it would be easy to mix them up if you were not dealing with him, David every day like we are. Nothing about their politics. Just they have both been PM.

Last edited:
I could start with rendition flights, involving us in US wars - especially false ones like Iraq, go further with pushing for various Eastern European countries to be fast tracked into Europe only for the UK to have millions of Poles, Slavs and Romanians with easy access to the UK jobs market. Of course countries do it all the time - but not on the scale the US does it.

Anyhow - back to the subject of the thread - anyone catch Nicvk Robinson on BBC news? I only caught the end of the article but some interesting tidbits coming out about Blair being driven to drink in his last years because of Gordon Brown. Tomorrow's interview on the BBC of Tony Blair is going to be very interesting viewing indeed.

iPlayer link available soon -

BBC iPlayer - BBC News at Ten: 31/08/2010

Rrendition flights were somthing in which several countries participated, brotaon involved itself in "US Wars" and the Britain could have said no to mass immigration just as Enoch Powell hhad preached.

This anti Americanism in the UK is largely why it is a failed State with no real friends or Allies. Anything the British became involved in is the result of British actions, no one elses.

"The Americans made us do it", is the lament of a whiny adolescent, not the voice of a strong, free and determined people.

Rrendition flights were somthing in which several countries participated, brotaon involved itself in "US Wars" and the Britain could have said no to mass immigration just as Enoch Powell hhad preached.

If I recall, the US requested UK presence and troops for US wars. Anyway - what this has to do with the thread title, I don't know.

This anti Americanism in the UK is largely why it is a failed State with no real friends or Allies. Anything the British became involved in is the result of British actions, no one elses.

If only that were true. Then the US could call on its number one ally (Israel or Canada) next time you need troops to die alongside US soldiers and leave us alone.

"The Americans made us do it", is the lament of a whiny adolescent, not the voice of a strong, free and determined people.

Not a good understanding of world affairs and I'm not going to spend hours finding links for you to not read.

Back
Top Bottom