• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Administration Threatens the Onion With Lawsuit

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Yes, you have read it correctly. White House lawyers have sent a threatening letter to the editors of the Onion, demanding that they take down the presidential seal they have as a link to satirical speeches attributed to President Bush. You would think that, with all the indictments coming down the pike, that the Bush administration would have something better for their lawyers to do.... You know, like try and defend Rove and Libby after they are indicted. LOL.

There is a law that says that the presidential seal cannot be used in a manner that shows endorsement by the White House. I think Bush and Company have missed the boat on that one. Everyone knows that the copy of the presidential seal at the Onion isnt to show endorsement, but is there for satire, and as we all know, satire is protected under the first amendment. Ask Justice Scalia, who voted in favor of Larry Flynt and Hustler magazine, and against a certain pompous televangelist we all know.

My favorite quote from the article is from Onion editor, Scott Dickers, who said that Bush should not spend all his money going after the Onion, but use the money instead to give tax breaks to satirists.

Face it. Bush has no sense of humor, but you wouldnt have one either if your cronies were being indicted. LMAO.

Article is here.

danarhea said:
Yes, you have read it correctly. White House lawyers have sent a threatening letter to the editors of the Onion, demanding that they take down the presidential seal they have as a link to satirical speeches attributed to President Bush. You would think that, with all the indictments coming down the pike, that the Bush administration would have something better for their lawyers to do.... You know, like try and defend Rove and Libby after they are indicted. LOL.

There is a law that says that the presidential seal cannot be used in a manner that shows endorsement by the White House. I think Bush and Company have missed the boat on that one. Everyone knows that the copy of the presidential seal at the Onion isnt to show endorsement, but is there for satire, and as we all know, satire is protected under the first amendment. Ask Justice Scalia, who voted in favor of Larry Flynt and Hustler magazine, and against a certain pompous televangelist we all know.

My favorite quote from the article is from Onion editor, Scott Dickers, who said that Bush should not spend all his money going after the Onion, but use the money instead to give tax breaks to satirists.

Face it. Bush has no sense of humor, but you wouldnt have one either if your cronies were being indicted. LMAO.

Article is here.

Threatening lawsuits against news organizations is a common tatic to force censorship and keep the truth from being reported. Not saying that this is necessarily the case, but it is a tatic that has been used alot in the past.

TimmyBoy said:
Threatening lawsuits against news organizations is a common tatic to force censorship and keep the truth from being reported. Not saying that this is necessarily the case, but it is a tatic that has been used alot in the past.

Yea, but the Onion is NOT a news organization at all. Their site is there only for laughs, and they will definitely have the last laugh on this one. LOL.

The White House had to drop a similar previous lawsuit against whitehouse.org.

I read that article on Monday. My favorite line in the article:

"I'm surprised the president deems it wise to spend taxpayer money for his lawyer to write letters to The Onion."

I agree. Although you all probably do not know this but a pizza place in this area called "Jerry's Pizza" used to have a Clinton imitator do its radio adverstising and Clinton's people wrote them and told them to stop whatever it was doing. I loved that imitator.

aps said:
"I'm surprised the president deems it wise to spend taxpayer money for his lawyer to write letters to The Onion."

What did you expect, Common Sense?

danarhea said:
Yea, but the Onion is NOT a news organization at all.
Do you think Bush knows this though?

scottyz said:
Do you think Bush knows this though?

LOL Good one, scottyz! :lol:

aps said:
I read that article on Monday. My favorite line in the article:

I agree. Although you all probably do not know this but a pizza place in this area called "Jerry's Pizza" used to have a Clinton imitator do its radio adverstising and Clinton's people wrote them and told them to stop whatever it was doing. I loved that imitator.

Wahaha- "The Big Bubba" sub. I wondered where those commercials went. Wasn't there a Big W sub as well? Better get the lawyers on that one as well Georgie...

Back
Top Bottom