• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bush Administration Media Collusion Memos Surface

Cassapolis

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Monday, April 3, 2006

WASHINGTON — In a disturbing turn of events for an administration already plagued by sagging poll numbers and waning support for the Iraq war, Friday's revelation that the Bush Administration issued direct guidelines for programming to media outlets is troubling even die-hard conservatives.

Late Friday a series of memos between senior Bush Administration officials and management at Viacom, Inc. were leaked calling for the media giant to focus on stories and programming choices that "reinforce the Administration's positions" and to "ignore and/or discredit points of view in opposition to the Bush Administration's foreign policy objectives for the purposes of National Security."

Democrats and key civil rights figures were quick to comment on this latest chapter of alleged government malfeasance. Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer issued a statement calling for a congressional inquiry. "This is it. This is a smoking gun. For years we've been saying that liberal and moderate points of view aren't being accurately reflected in the media and this proves our point. The Bush Administration is clearly out of touch with the American people, and Viacom should be ashamed."

Other prominent figures were less forgiving. Rev. Al Sharpton called the memos "treasonous" and "genocidal" and reiterated his desire for impeachment proceedings to commence. "What we have here is a complete disregard for the law, for what is morally correct and for the will of the people. It's been no secret to anyone with a brain that the majority of programming that we are exposed to by certain companies is negative, but now it's out in the open. Look at BET. Look at the exclusion of voices that accurately represent communities of color. It's insidious."

Media companies have come under increasing fire as of late for their portrayal of minorities and for inaccuracies in reporting stories of interest to activist communities.

Most recently, estimates in the participation numbers of protesters at anti-immigration legislation rallies were hotly disputed.

The media's alleged embracing of artists and stories depicting people of color in a derogatory manner has become a hot-topic issue with media watchdog groups and prominent entertainment commentators alike.

http://www.fox-news.us/story/0,3566,190215,00.html

Looks like we got another leaker on our hands here. The media takes something so small and insignificant and blows it up into a huge story TELLING us that this is news. I'm just plain sick of it. Like when Tom Delay resigned: "Top Story tonite folks, Tom Delay has just resigned!" And I'm like: "Who the Hell cares about some crook resigning from office? There's a war going on!"

The media just needs to report the news and stop TELLING us what the "Big Stories" are. Let the viewers decide for once!

Cassapolis said:
Other prominent figures were less forgiving. Rev. Al Sharpton called the memos "treasonous" and "genocidal" and reiterated his desire for impeachment proceedings to commence. "What we have here is a complete disregard for the law, for what is morally correct and for the will of the people. It's been no secret to anyone with a brain that the majority of programming that we are exposed to by certain companies is negative, but now it's out in the open. Look at BET. Look at the exclusion of voices that accurately represent communities of color. It's insidious."
http://www.fox-news.us/story/0,3566,190215,00.html

Only Al could make this into a race based story.

Well, what do you know? Another story about the Bush Administration lying to the public. What the hell is the matter with these people?

aps said:
Well, what do you know? Another story about the Bush Administration lying to the public. What the hell is the matter with these people?

Well, what do you know? Another liberal smearing the Commander In Chief. What the hell is the matter with these people? :mrgreen:

Please tell me, name ONE politician who DOESN'T lie. Then maye we'll see eye to eye.

Donkey1499 said:
Well, what do you know? Another liberal smearing the Commander In Chief. What the hell is the matter with these people? :mrgreen:

Please tell me, name ONE politician who DOESN'T lie. Then maye we'll see eye to eye.

Donkey, it depends on what they are lying about. This kinda stuff isn't that bad, but the hyping of intelligence to go to war? Ummm, that huge.

aps said:
Donkey, it depends on what they are lying about. This kinda stuff isn't that bad, but the hyping of intelligence to go to war? Ummm, that huge.
:ranton:
Our military was getting rusty so Bush decided to use to wreak havoc upon those damn, dirty muslims. He started off by having the FBI fly into the Twin Towers (which he immediately blamed on poor ol' Bin Laden, how convenient!). Then he invaded Afghanistan, of which our evil, Nazi-like soldiers massacred thousands of Talibani and Afghan citizens. Then when Bush and Cheney were bored with Afghanistan they invaded Iraq and threw poor ol' Sodamn Insane into a torture dungeon. Then the genocide of Iraqis bagan, which was carried out by our Pol Pot-like military.

But even all that wasn't entertaining enough for the Bush Blood House.... I mean White House. Bush sent Cheney and Rumsfeld to New Orleans in a canoe and directed them to sabotage the levees. Now they blame the whole thing on the liberals and the media.
:rantoff:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: See, even I can sound like a far left maniac when I want to. And no, aps, I'm not calling YOU far left.

A new series of forged memos? Where are these memos? I want to see what they actually say. This story reaks like something written by Stephen Glass, I call bullshit. Like this supposed quote from senate majority Bill Frist.

Hell, if we want to plant I.D. chips in people and torture their loved ones until they break, we will.

If he actually said this it would be running on every network 24-7.

Sorry people it has been proven time and again that the media leans to the left.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
A new series of forged memos? Where are these memos? I want to see what they actually say. This story reaks like something written by Stephen Glass, I call bullshit.

Sorry people it has been proven time and again that the media leans to the left.

This could be another CBS/Mary Mapes quagmire. Right?

Donkey1499 said:
This could be another CBS/Mary Mapes quagmire. Right?

I don't think it's even that I think this article is a total work of fiction like look at this quote supposedly from Senate Majority leader Bill Frist:

Hell, if we want to plant I.D. chips in people and torture their loved ones until they break, we will.

If he had actually said this it would be all over the 24 hour news network.

When Bush sh!ts green it's all over the front page but this story hasn't been covered by anyone probably because it's total bullshit.

Like this supposed quote from senate majority Bill Frist. If he actually said this it would be running on every network 24-7.
Instead of just FOX?
Do you think FOX made up that quote just to make Frist look bad? The quote's not from some memo.

If he had actually said this it would be all over the 24 hour news network.
So, if FOX covers it but the 24 hour news network doesn't it's bullshit?

aps said:
Well, what do you know? Another story about the Bush Administration lying to the public.

So, what do you know from this b/s article? What exactly do you find in the article that Bush administration said to public and it turned to be a lie?

I looks again, as soon as you see letters B,u,s,h, you have you own assosiation.

It is not related to the left wing bias in media demonstrated by the article,
but I had some assosiations of my own:
At some point on that day, President Roosevelt told press adviser Stephen Early that the government needed to acquire one of the national radio networks.Now that America was at war, the government's requirement for unmediated and direct communication was essential. Early telephoned Federal Communications Commission chairman James L. Fly and ordered him to speak to David Sarnoff, NBC's chairman...
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ed...s/2005/12/13/at_war_government_and_the_media/

Franklin Roosevelt was the first modern president to use the media in a systematic manner in order to promote his ideas and to reach the public...

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/twhp/wwwlps/lessons/82springwood/82facts4.htm

During the presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt the Gatekeepers of the American press (editors, reporters, etc.) felt it important that the American public have the perception that Roosevelt was a vigorous and strong leader. It was a period in which the country faced domestic and international crises: the Depression of 1929, and World War II. During that time pictures printed in the newspaper, or broadcast in newsreel clips in movie theaters gave this impression. The GATEKEEPERS had made a conscious decision not to show Roosevelt's disability or infirmities. He suffered from polio....needed braces and physical assistance to walk even short distances and was often confined to a wheelchair...
http://libraries.cuny.edu/iltutorial/09_treat/Ia7.html

Click the link that stories from the AP, does the AP even fact check?
Umm, yes? Why do you ask?

Either way, this story is still being blow way out of proportion. I don't know for sure, but I'll almost guarantee that most if not all of the presidents have used the media to their advantage.

Classic Karl Rove......... :rofl

Man, he's got some folks by the balls!!

You can fool some of the people all the time....
You can fool some of the people some of the time...
You can fool...er.......you can....uhhhhh......
Damn....how'd that go again?

It's not nice to fool mother nature?:confused:

Click the link that story is from the AP.

So, FOX was reporting on an Associated Press story? Now I see where some of the people on here could get it mixed up. I know that FOX wouldn't deliberately harm a republican. I think that that's in their code of conduct or something. LOL

liberal media what?

edit: There is something weird about that site. I don't believe it is a real fox news website...

Last edited:
scottyz said:
liberal media what?

edit: There is something weird about that site. I don't believe it is a real fox news website...

I think this story is fake! :shock: :lol:

snookered

Domain Name: FOX-NEWS.US
Domain ID: D9872716-US
Sponsoring Registrar: .US REGISTRAR L.L.C.
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID: 25433667
Registrant Name: Guerrilla Funk Music
Registrant Organization: Guerrilla Funk Music
Registrant Address1: P.O. Box 2317
Registrant City: Danville
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 94526
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Country Code: US
Registrant Phone Number: +1.9257671234
Registrant Facsimile Number: +1.1231231234
Registrant Email: gat_turner@hotmail.com
Registrant Application Purpose: P3
Registrant Nexus Category: C11
Administrative Contact ID: 25433667
Administrative Contact Name: Guerrilla Funk Music
Administrative Contact Organization: Guerrilla Funk Music
Administrative Contact Address1: P.O. Box 2317
Administrative Contact City: Danville
Administrative Contact State/Province: CA
Administrative Contact Postal Code: 94526
Administrative Contact Country: United States
Administrative Contact Country Code: US
Administrative Contact Phone Number: +1.9257671234
Administrative Contact Facsimile Number: +1.1231231234
Administrative Contact Email: gat_turner@hotmail.com
Administrative Application Purpose: P3
Administrative Nexus Category: C11
Billing Contact ID: 25433668
Billing Contact Name: Guerrilla Funk Recordings
Billing Contact Organization: Guerrilla Funk Recordings
Billing Contact Address1: P.O. Box 2317
Billing Contact City: Danville
Billing Contact State/Province: CA

Re: snookered

Simon W. Moon said:
Domain Name: FOX-NEWS.US
Domain ID: D9872716-US
Sponsoring Registrar: .US REGISTRAR L.L.C.
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID: 25433667
Registrant Name: Guerrilla Funk Music
Registrant Organization: Guerrilla Funk Music
Registrant Address1: P.O. Box 2317
Registrant City: Danville
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 94526
Registrant Country: United States
Registrant Country Code: US
Registrant Phone Number: +1.9257671234
Registrant Facsimile Number: +1.1231231234
Registrant Email: gat_turner@hotmail.com
Registrant Application Purpose: P3
Registrant Nexus Category: C11
Administrative Contact ID: 25433667
Administrative Contact Name: Guerrilla Funk Music
Administrative Contact Organization: Guerrilla Funk Music
Administrative Contact Address1: P.O. Box 2317
Administrative Contact City: Danville
Administrative Contact State/Province: CA
Administrative Contact Postal Code: 94526
Administrative Contact Country: United States
Administrative Contact Country Code: US
Administrative Contact Phone Number: +1.9257671234
Administrative Contact Facsimile Number: +1.1231231234
Administrative Contact Email: gat_turner@hotmail.com
Administrative Application Purpose: P3
Administrative Nexus Category: C11
Billing Contact ID: 25433668
Billing Contact Name: Guerrilla Funk Recordings
Billing Contact Organization: Guerrilla Funk Recordings
Billing Contact Address1: P.O. Box 2317
Billing Contact City: Danville
Billing Contact State/Province: CA

A) Does that mean it's fake like I said.

B) How do you do that?

Back
Top Bottom