• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Burn in Hell Murderer - Carlie's killer gets DEATH

jallman said:
How true...

The Guillotine: Who says Elegance and Efficiency cant come in one package?

Ah! yes, the guillotine. Mighty device of death of ye olde days. When all stories were told in ye olde pube. I mean, ye old pube.

reaganburch said:
I've said this in a previous post, but there was a movie about a Russian serial killer, I can't remember the name of it. But anyways, after they found him and he confessed and a public hearing, they took him to a room with a drain in the floor and put a bullet in the back of his head...

Why can't they do that with him right now? He could be dead before the Brucia family eat dinner...

Alas! death before dinner. As the spanish say it: el myo favorito!!! my favorite

I am grateful to live in the USA - one of the most civilized nations on earth.

Liberal Pot Smoker said:
what is accomplished by putting him to death.

Retribution, a concept universally accepted as worthy in our legal system, hence "punitive" damages.

pu·ni·tive adj.

Inflicting or aiming to inflict punishment; punishing.

ret·ri·bu·tion n.

Something justly deserved; recompense.

Something given or demanded in repayment, especially punishment.

If we're to ignore the idea of punishment that fits the crime, we'll need to abandon the idea of punitive damages. Take a life, forfeit your own.

I'm not questioning the right of someone to have a belief that vengence/retribution is appropriate.
However, if this belief is held by someone who claims to be "Christian" it does appear to conflict with the teachings of Christ, so it would appear that they would be "Christian" in name only.

disneydude said:
However, if this belief is held by someone who claims to be "Christian" it does appear to conflict with the teachings of Christ

The wages of sin, is death. It would behoove unbelievers to avoid attempts to use the faith of others as a rhetorical weapon against them, it's better just to stick to the point rather than the author.

Thank you Judge, Now lets get this done in a timely manner...........

Carl said:
The wages of sin, is death. It would behoove unbelievers to avoid attempts to use the faith of others as a rhetorical weapon against them, it's better just to stick to the point rather than the author.

What are you talking about. Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but I am using my faith not someone elses. And are you referring to me as an "unbeliever"? Your post makes no sense to me.
But the posts on this topic seem to reveal a dichotomy on many levels and its something I see all the time on this board. So many people who claim to be "Christian" but exemplify so little of the man's teachings and life.

disneydude said:
What are you talking about. Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, but I am using my faith not someone elses. And are you referring to me as an "unbeliever"? Your post makes no sense to me.
But the posts on this topic seem to reveal a dichotomy on many levels and its something I see all the time on this board. So many people who claim to be "Christian" but exemplify so little of the man's teachings and life.

Are you pro choice? Pro abortion?

I am grateful to live in the USA - one of the most civilized nations on earth.
i presume that is sarcastism. The death penalty is worng. You kill someone we all say its wrong and then the state does exactly the same thing. How does that work? I think its quite worrying that all you are glorying in death!

Navy Pride said:
Are you pro choice? Pro abortion?

I don't think its that easy to stick a label on it. If you are really interested in my views I will tell you. Personally, I am anti-abortion. I would never have one myself (But thats easy to say because I am male). I would strongly urge anyone close to me NOT to have an abortion. I would try to help them so that they could have other alternatives.
However, I am pro-choice in the sense that I don't think I can impose my personal view on someone else in that situation.
I do agree that in an ideal world there would be no abortion. That would include access to alternatives, including the morning after pill which right-wingers right so hard against.
I think that even with abortion, you have to have exceptions, unlike South Dakota.
So....as you can see....I don't think the issue is so easily decided to say you are pro-choice or anti-choice, pro-life or pro-abortion.

disneydude said:
Personally, I leave vengence to the Lord and try to focus my life on being a good person and serving my fellow mankind. Not to say that you don't. I just find it distasteful that people will cheer this kind of stuff and cheer outside of executions.

I agree with you, disneydude. This kind of blustery talk from people who are not connected to this case in any way, as if their cockiness and superiority alone were enough to ensure their right to some kind of victory in this tragedy. It's pathetic and so base and just wrong. And for any of you who are Christians and brush off disneydude's very valid point about following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ, you ought to spend more time reading your Bible and less time feeling so *******ed sure of yourselves. This kind of talk makes me sick.

cherokee said:
bet you cant guess what I'm going to say...lol...

Two rounds to the head

Cremate his body

Ashes to the local landfill
I counted that up and it isn't proper haiku 5 -7 -5 form. It's 5-5-8. I don't know why, I just expected it to be.

mixedmedia said:
I agree with you, disneydude. This kind of blustery talk from people who are not connected to this case in any way, as if their cockiness and superiority alone were enough to ensure their right to some kind of victory in this tragedy. It's pathetic and so base and just wrong. And for any of you who are Christians and brush off disneydude's very valid point about following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ, you ought to spend more time reading your Bible and less time feeling so *******ed sure of yourselves. This kind of talk makes me sick.

Well then, take some pepto-bismol, Rolaids, whatever and get better... until then, it's our right to feel this way and it's your right to feel your way...

This guy was scum, a demon on earth... I have no sympathy for him and like I said previously, I feel better knowing he will not be breathing the same oxygen that I do... a law-abiding citizen who doesn't have thoughts of raping, torturing & murdering little girls....

reaganburch said:
Well then, take some pepto-bismol, Rolaids, whatever and get better... until then, it's our right to feel this way and it's your right to feel your way...

This guy was scum, a demon on earth... I have no sympathy for him and like I said previously, I feel better knowing he will not be breathing the same oxygen that I do... a law-abiding citizen who doesn't have thoughts of raping, torturing & murdering little girls....

How does it go? There but for the grace of God goes I?

mixedmedia said:
How does it go? There but for the grace of God goes I?

I... I... I... don't have a clue what you're talking about... Point?

Seems fair.. take a life give a life...

For a country built on Christian values the death penalty seems to be a very unchristian thing to have.

reaganburch said:
I... I... I... don't have a clue what you're talking about... Point?

It means, in this instance, that you are only a few spurts of brain chemistry and mutated emotions from being such a person yourself. And it is ignorant to rejoice in tragedy - anyone's tragedy.

mixedmedia said:
It means, in this instance, that you are only a few spurts of brain chemistry and mutated emotions from being such a person yourself. And it is ignorant to rejoice in tragedy - anyone's tragedy.

But, I'm not... so yippee for me... I'm not a murderer and a child rapist... I'm a productive member of society, who has had bad things happen to me, yet I haven't decided to be weak, do coke or smack, go out and abduct a child, rape her & kill her... So, I get the privilege(yes, it is a privilege) of living out in the midst of society...

As for tragedy, the ONLY tragedy here is Carlie Brucia... not Joseph Smith... he CHOSE to do what he did and he has to live with the consequences of his actions, in this case... the legal death penalty...

Willoughby said:
For a country built on Christian values the death penalty seems to be a very unchristian thing to have.

Im not a christian so I don't have that problem. Not to mention doesnt the bible say something to the effect "eye for an eye tooth for a tooth" or "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you". So it is actually a pretty christian thing depending on how you look at it.

reaganburch said:
But, I'm not... so yippee for me... I'm not a murderer and a child rapist... I'm a productive member of society, who has had bad things happen to me, yet I haven't decided to be weak, do coke or smack, go out and abduct a child, rape her & kill her... So, I get the privilege(yes, it is a privilege) of living out in the midst of society...

As for tragedy, the ONLY tragedy here is Carlie Brucia... not Joseph Smith... he CHOSE to do what he did and he has to live with the consequences of his actions, in this case... the legal death penalty...

The only problem is we can't kill him twice

reaganburch said:

What if Joseph Smith were your brother? Would you be able to dismiss who he is so summarily then? In essence, people who rejoice in these things do the same thing as killers do. They dehumanize so it is easy to kill.

mixedmedia said:
What if Joseph Smith were your brother? Would you be able to dismiss who he is so summarily then? In essence, people who rejoice in these things do the same thing as killers do. They dehumanize so it is easy to kill.

In all fairness, it was Mr. Smith that "dehumanized" himself, but hey, he has at least ten to twenty years of appeals left, so don't sweat it.;)

mixedmedia said:

But, he isn't. That's a hypothetical question and I don't answer hypotheticals. Not because I shy away from the question, but because they're completely meaningless to the question at hand. Kind of like that reporter who asked Dukakis, a firm non-believer in the death penalty, which I respect, what would you feel if it was your family member who was raped & murdered. It's a non-sequitur question...

What if Carlie was your sister or your niece? How is that any different?

This guy ADMITTED to all of this, it isn't even one of those things where there's a chance of innocence. What would you have us do to Joseph Smith? Do what Pot Smoker says? Put him in a corner with a dunce hat and 'make him think about what he did'?

There has to be consequences to ones actions. This consequence, again, is the LEGAL death penalty...

Back
Top Bottom