• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bumble, Match Launch Funds To Cover Abortion Costs In Texas

Independents make up the largest voting bloc, but the vast majority actually lean left/right.

I agree with you that getting folks to the polls next year will be the biggest challenge. Trump is out, and most Americans have gone back to grazing.

Here ya go. Bad decision IMO.

The problem here, with voting, districting, and abortion issues, is Federalism.

The founders gave the states a great deal of autonomy, in order to cajole them into joining the Union.

Great news!

Anyone who can afford to do so should generously contribute to the fund.

Every woman who wants an abortion should be given all the financial and moral support possible.

I hope (the usually despicable) Nancy Pelosi is successful in making abortion a legal right.

I also hope that her bill encourages high schools to assist young ladies who wish to have an abortion.

It'd say there's gonna be more of this kind of stuff...

"The Dallas-based company’s fund will help cover costs for workers and their dependents who need to travel out-of-state in order to have an abortion, Dubey said in the memo first reported by Bloomberg."

Will they be able to pay the up to $10k as well? That's part of the TX law, that anyone who "aids or abets" a person to get an abortion can be sued. That doesn't seem to exclude only those who get an abortion in TX.

I don't think any of it will actually hold up in court, but it IS part of the new law.

Will they be able to pay the up to $10k as well? That's part of the TX law, that anyone who "aids or abets" a person to get an abortion can be sued. That doesn't seem to exclude only those who get an abortion in TX.

I don't think any of it will actually hold up in court, but it IS part of the new law.
Not sure

That’s fine, but other Texans would be doubly punished. Not worth it to me.
Welcome to democracy...the minority agrees to accept what the majority wants, with some exceptions (and those exceptions don't apply here).

Who knows--maybe in Texas, the majority actually support this fetal heartbeat law. However that may be, though, it's not their right to dictate such a life altering decision to others.
Oh, I agree. My point was this: RB said that anything that punishes the elected officials but not the electorate in Texas over this law is good, in his view. I was pointing out that those elected officials were chosen by the electorate, and so perhaps the electorate in question should suffer the consequences of their voting decisions. They might start to think differently next time--in any case, I know of no way to alter a political constituency than to let the electorate get a taste of what they vote for, and then decide whether they made a wise decision or not. Generally speaking, that's the mechanism by which most people change their minds--they make a decision, get feedback, and then decide whether to continue or change.

Thx for the article.

We all lean left or right, don't we? Just depends on the issue, and my thought is that endangering children with mask bans in schools and virtually eliminating abortion in Texas is going to have a lot of Independents leaning left- ways next year. It could just be wishful thinking, though.

I'm hoping it sinks the hopes of Paul LePage, who is sallying forth from his exile in Florida to threaten Maine again with another obnoxious term.
I have no doubt that our thinking is inline with the majority of Americans. If enough do their duty by voting, the Dems will keep their majorities in both Houses.

If not, we’ll have no one to blame, but ourselves again for handing power back to Trumplicans.

hey, at least Texas is giving women around a week to decide to get an abortion (counting from the last period, missed period, etc). and some women won't even know they're pregnant by the time the legal date of abortion passes.

maybe that makes women who are on the fence (in that HUGE ~ 7 day period when they have to make a big decision) rush out and get an abortion so that Rebar Randy down the street doesn't try to make bank off her.

Welcome to democracy...the minority agrees to accept what the majority wants, with some exceptions (and those exceptions don't apply here).
I understand how democracy works.

That has nothing to do with my stated preference that Texans opposed to the new abortion law not be punished by potential boycotting, etc.. anymore than your ready willingness to see all Texans suffer for the actions of asshole Trumpsters.

The problem here, with voting, districting, and abortion issues, is Federalism.

The founders gave the states a great deal of autonomy, in order to cajole them into joining the Union.
In the 5 to 4 decision, SCOTUS could have and, in my opinion, should have ruled against gerrymandering, which is by definition, “the practice of dividing or arranging a territorial unit into election districts in a way that gives one political party an unfair advantage in elections”.

I understand how democracy works.

That has nothing to do with my stated preference that Texans opposed to the new abortion law not be punished by potential boycotting, etc.. anymore than your ready willingness to see all Texans suffer for the actions of asshole Trumpsters.
Why do you think this point has nothing to do with your preference here? It seems to me to be the heart of the matter. There are actually fewer Republicans in Texas than Democrats--the reason the state is run by Republicans is that Democrats get lazy and the independents tend to lean a little Republican, though according to the surveys I've seen, it's just a slight preference that would likely be moved by the more radical actions the state legislature has been contemplating. So yeah, the electorate there needs a fire lit under its ass.

We're in this mess because voters who would have voted for Hillary got lazy in 2016--and now already people like yourself are calling for letting those same people be coddled. I say: NO. Those folks need to see the consequences of sitting on their couches and saying to themselves "eh...it doesn't really matter. I'll watch Netflix rather than go vote. Who wants to get out in this weather anyway..."

With all the people from blue states immigrating to Texas, likely there are a lot of empty planes flying back to get the next load.

I doubt flights of planes who got out "ninety percent" of the Americans who wanted to leave Afghanistan were very crowded when returning to Kabul. It's the same principle.

That's the same principle as offering a discount flight to a blue state if you're trying to get an abortion?

Oh, no! Because it might force Texas in to Blue. I live in Texas, and as hard as it might be for neo-liberal brown women and children sky robot incinerating scum to imagine, some of us have different values, and want a space not to ****ing share with you.
Interesting....

Why do you think this point has nothing to do with your preference here? It seems to me to be the heart of the matter. There are actually fewer Republicans in Texas than Democrats--the reason the state is run by Republicans is that Democrats get lazy and the independents tend to lean a little Republican, though according to the surveys I've seen, it's just a slight preference that would likely be moved by the more radical actions the state legislature has been contemplating. So yeah, the electorate there needs a fire lit under its ass.

We're in this mess because voters who would have voted for Hillary got lazy in 2016--and now already people like yourself are calling for letting those same people be coddled. I say: NO. Those folks need to see the consequences of sitting on their couches and saying to themselves "eh...it doesn't really matter. I'll watch Netflix rather than go vote. Who wants to get out in this weather anyway..."
Gerrymandering.

Why do you think this point has nothing to do with your preference here?
I know because I know the difference between a personal belief and political consequences.

I stated my belief that everyone shouldn’t be punished for others actions, opposing your “**** ‘em” attitude.

Because I believe in fairness doesn’t, at all, indicate any lack of political awareness.

Hope this clears up your confusion.
It seems to me to be the heart of the matter. There are actually fewer Republicans in Texas than Democrats--the reason the state is run by Republicans is that Democrats get lazy and the independents tend to lean a little Republican, though according to the surveys I've seen, it's just a slight preference that would likely be moved by the more radical actions the state legislature has been contemplating. So yeah, the electorate there needs a fire lit under its ass.

Uh-huh. 🙄

I know because I know the difference between a personal belief and political consequences.
That doesn't explain anything. Personal beliefs have political consequences when those beliefs are held by people with political power...as every enfranchised citizen does.

I stated my belief that everyone shouldn’t be punished for others actions, opposing your “**** ‘em” attitude.
Not a "**** 'em" attitude. There's a difference between not caring, and recognizing it's time people face the consequences of their actions or inaction.

Because I believe in fairness doesn’t, at all, indicate any lack of political awareness.
Sure.

Hope this clears up your confusion.
It does--it shows me that you are confused, not me. Bottom line: the electorate in Texas who voted did so for the people who have written and passed this law. A great many Texans who could have did not vote in prior elections, and had they, this law probably would not be on the books. There are consequences to all of that, and shielding those who might have turned the ship differently from their failure to care and preference for momentary comfort over lasting political consequences just encourages those who could do something about this travesty to continue not doing so, inviting worse in the future.

And if you think the Republicans don't have worse in mind for later on, you're kidding yourself. In fact, what they've done so far is the tip of the iceberg compared to what they would like to do.

Gerrymandering.
That surely has something to do with it. But then, how did the gerrymandering occur? Because the people who might have voted for more moderate candidates decided they were nice and comfortable, didn't vote, and let the crazies vote in the people who don't shrink from gerrymandering. At what point do we take the attitude that it matters who is in office, and start acting like our future depends on it? RB seems to want to keep people comfortable. Seems to me, it's time for people to get really damned uncomfortable--they might decide to do something about it.

The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the constitution. The right to kill your offspring out of convenience is not a right.

Do the same thing to Gun Ownership and see if the SCOTUS stays its hand at private citizens suing people who use guns in public.

Any plaintiff who uses this Texas law to impede a woman's right to reproductive choice should be prosecuted by Federal authorities for denying Americans their civil rights. That will shut this down right quick. That's hard time.

Does Texas law apply to Federally owned territory in the state? If not then move existing clinics onto Federal land until the law is struck down by the courts.

Stupid Texas Law and Mischievous GOP.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

The right to bear arms is guaranteed by the constitution. The right to kill your offspring out of convenience is not a right.
TobyOne:

You're wrong on both counts, but to discuss the right to bear arms is beyond the scope of this thread. So you're wrong about abortion. Since 1973 women have been shielded from states trying to stop their abortions.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Out of curiosity--not to turn the thread--how do you feel about no excuse mail-in voting that would let us sit on the couch come voting day?

Out of curiosity--not to turn the thread--how do you feel about no excuse mail-in voting that would let us sit on the couch come voting day?
That option should be available to everyone. As should online voting.

Last edited:
If Texas is going to suppress the vote and force raped women to carry a rapist's baby to term, I'm not that interested in buying their stuff when i don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom