• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Bull**** As Profound' Linked to Support for Conservatism

MrT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Yes, this is a real article and it was actually published in a legitimate peer reviewed journal.

You can go directly to the peer reviewed article here. And here is the abstract:

The present research investigates the associations between holding favorable views of potential Democratic or Republican candidates for the US presidency 2016 and seeing profoundness in bull**** statements. In this contribution, bull**** is used as a technical term which is defined as communicative expression that lacks content, logic, or truth from the perspective of natural science. We used the Bull**** Receptivity scale (BSR) to measure seeing profoundness in bull**** statements. The BSR scale contains statements that have a correct syntactic structure and seem to be sound and meaningful on first reading but are actually vacuous. Participants (N = 196; obtained via Amazon Mechanical Turk) rated the profoundness of bull**** statements (using the BSR) and provided favorability ratings of three Democratic (Hillary Clinton, Martin O’Malley, and Bernie Sanders) and three Republican candidates for US president (Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and Donald Trump). Participants also completed a measure of political liberalism/conservatism. Results revealed that favorable views of all three Republican candidates were positively related to judging bull**** statements as profound. The smallest correlation was found for Donald Trump. Although we observe a positive association between bull**** and support for the three Democrat candidates, this relationship is both substantively small and statistically insignificant. The general measure of political liberalism/conservatism was also related to judging bull**** statements as profound in that individuals who were more politically conservative had a higher tendency to see profoundness in bull**** statements. Of note, these results were not due to a general tendency among conservatives to see profoundness in everything: Favorable views of Republican candidates and conservatism were not significantly related to profoundness ratings of mundane statements. In contrast, this was the case for Hillary Clinton and Martin O’Malley. Overall, small-to-medium sized correlations were found, indicating that far from all conservatives see profoundness in bull**** statements.

For those curious to review some examples of the "Bull****" statements that were deemed "profound" by a significant amount of supporters of conservatism, with the strongest link found those individuals who supported Ted Cruz [and weakest link with support for Bernie Sanders], you can go here. And for those interested in learning how they defined "pseudo-profound bull****," you can go here.

I find this research to be particularly ironic given the stereotype of liberals as the pot smoking hippies that believe a whole bunch of a bull****.

Yes, this is a real article and it was actually published in a legitimate peer reviewed journal.

You can go directly to the peer reviewed article here. And here is the abstract:

For those curious to review some examples of the "Bull****" statements that were deemed "profound" by a significant amount of supporters of conservatism, with the strongest link found those individuals who supported Ted Cruz [and weakest link with support for Bernie Sanders], you can go here. And for those interested in learning how they defined "pseudo-profound bull****," you can go here.

I find this research to be particularly ironic given the stereotype of liberals as the pot smoking hippies that believe a whole bunch of a bull****.

Well, having glanced at the article I can agree that it is total bull****.

So I guess the authors are experts. :coffeepap:

I think this member of PLOS ONE sums it up best.

Not Science.jpg

Plos One, that explains it all. It is a pay to be published web journal.

Is Kaczynski allowed to publish his journals now?

Saying that's a "legitimate news source" is borderline psychotic.

Plos One, that explains it all. It is a pay to be published web journal.

You mean real journal editors would ask the authors to find another word for bull****? Oh darn.:mrgreen:

Bait thread......

Why not just title the thread " Conservatives are stupid and suck " ??

Saying that's a "legitimate news source" is borderline psychotic.

I said it was a legitimate peer reviewed article - and it is that - not that it was a legitimate news source. The fact remains that this is legitimate news.

The implications of the research I leave for others to discuss.

Bait thread......

This is legitimate research on some underlying differences between liberals and conservatives. The fact that you are more likely to believe that a bull**** statement is "profound" is likely to color your ability to critically analyze other data and statements.

We see the reflection of that in the nomination of Donald Trump.

I said it was a legitimate peer reviewed article - and it is that - not that it was a legitimate news source. The fact remains that this is legitimate news.

The implications of the research I leave for others to discuss.

I think it's important to note that this journal is completely open access meaning that almost anyone can publish to it, if I understand correctly. Meaning that along with the good, there's gonna be some off the wall goofball ****.

This is legitimate research on some underlying differences between liberals and conservatives. The fact that you are more likely to believe that a bull**** statement is "profound" is likely to color your ability to critically analyze other data and statements.

We see the reflection of that in the nomination of Donald Trump.

" Legitimate research " posted on a open access journal.

Lol !!

I think it's important to note that this journal is completely open access meaning that almost anyone can publish to it, if I understand correctly. Meaning that along with the good, there's gonna be some off the wall goofball ****.

Oh I tend to agree. Just getting a grant to study "the links between political ideology and whether you find bull**** to be profound" seems like it would be a difficult sell. And there is always the potential problem of being able to replicate the study, but the method used seems fairly sound according to individuals that study these types of topics.

Lol !!

Please, you dispute research published in any type of peer reviewed journal unless it agrees with your previously held beliefs.

Bait thread......

Do you actually expect to have a liberal say what he or she really means? They need to spin "good morning."

Lol !!
ffs, you guys post such low level ignorance:

Open access (OA) refers to online research outputs that are free of all restrictions on access (e.g., access tolls) and free of many restrictions on use (e.g. certain copyright and license restrictions).[1] Open access can be applied to all forms of published research output, including peer-reviewed and non peer-reviewed academic journal articles, conference papers, theses,[2] book chapters,[1] and monographs.[3]

it means yer free to view and share, not change or edit.

good grief.

ffs, you guys post such low level ignorance:

Open access (OA) refers to online research outputs that are free of all restrictions on access (e.g., access tolls) and free of many restrictions on use (e.g. certain copyright and license restrictions).[1] Open access can be applied to all forms of published research output, including peer-reviewed and non peer-reviewed academic journal articles, conference papers, theses,[2] book chapters,[1] and monographs.[3]

it means yer free to view and share, not change or edit.

good grief.

Did the author have to PAY to have his " research " published ?

Please, you dispute research published in any type of peer reviewed journal unless it agrees with your previously held beliefs.

You posted a bait thread, wouldn't be the first time either

Did the author have to PAY to have his " research " published ?
I don't know, that wasn't the point, yer point was that it was "open access", as if having it available for full viewing was a bad thing. Now yer changing the topic without accepting the error of yer understanding of what open access means.

I don't know, that wasn't the point, yer point was that it was "open access", as if having it available for full viewing was a bad thing. Now yer changing the topic without accepting the error of yer understanding of what open access means.

He posted a hack bait thread poorly disguised as " objective research", and Im the one thats made the error ?

He posted a hack bait thread poorly disguised as " objective research", and Im the one thats made the error ?
Again, you keep distracting from your error, why didn't you just look up the meaning of open access? And now that you know, just admit you did not know what it meant. In another thread, you were just speaking to honest debate, yet here you are....not being honest WITH ME.

Again, you keep distracting from your error, why didn't you just look up the meaning of open access? And now that you know, just admit you did not know what it meant. In another thread, you were just speaking to honest debate, yet here you are....not being honest WITH ME.

The Liberals have been wrong on everything and you want to claim that conservatism is bull****?

The Liberals have been wrong on everything and you want to claim that conservatism is bull****?

Is that really the understanding you took away from this study? Or are you just trying to troll?

Back
Top Bottom