• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Building The Wall

Red:
Curiously, the survey itself is nowhere to be found...Best as I can tell, the metric you noted is something the Washington Times conjured out of thin air. (I found several other outlets reporting on the fact that the Washington Times reported on the survey, but not one, including the W-Times has published or linked-to the survey.)
The survey was of 600 BP agents and 89% wanted a Wall system and 7% did not. Just because you cannot find an online copy of it does not mean it was "something the Washington Times conjured out of thin air." Unless you think the WT is guilty of FAKE NEWS. There are quotes from the president of the National Border Patrol Council talking about the survey.

Israel has a wall that works. Ask yourself would your rather cross a four foot tall barbed wire fence or a 30 tall climb resistant wall? We need something a 9 month pregnant mother to be can't climb like one did to our existing fence recently. We need to build first in the most needed areas then continue to build in places as the need dictates. I suspect that is exactly what will happen since 5 billion won't build the wall. Let's build them where the Border Agents think they are most needed then watch and see if crossings reduce. And reports are that is exactly what they are goin to do. If it is effective let's continue where its need the most next. That is the only sensible way to do it. I'll admit there are areas like the Big Bend area of Texas that the terrain may necessitate a virtual wall approach. The thing is there isn't much problem in that area because there aren't any large towns near and the difficulty of crossing the terrain.

I'm getting really tired of hearing Israel has a wall that works as being a rationale for the building Trump's wall across our southern border. For Christ's sake Israel is only 290 miles in length and 85 miles wide at it's widest point and is bordered on it's Western side by the Mediterranean Sea. So securing Israel borders is infinitesimally easier than securing our own borders The two are really not at all comparable.

Last edited:
I'm really getting really tired of hearing Israel has a wall that works as being a rationale for the building Trump's wall across our southern border. For Christ's sake Israel in only 290 miles in length and 85 miles wide at it's widest point and is bordered on it's Western side by the Mediterranean Sea. So securing Israel borders is infinitesimally easier than securing our own borders The two are really not at all comparable.
Would you rather try to cross a 4 foot barbed wire fence or a 30 foot tall climb resistant barrier?

The survey was of 600 BP agents and 89% wanted a Wall system and 7% did not. Just because you cannot find an online copy of it does not mean it was "something the Washington Times conjured out of thin air." Unless you think the WT is guilty of FAKE NEWS. There are quotes from the president of the National Border Patrol Council talking about the survey.

It's so that I cannot say the survey wasn't taken and responded to. I wouldn't put it past the WT to publish "fake news."1 Had the WT (or the union) exposed the study rather than providing distillate discussion about it, I'd read the study and its methodology and thereby know whether what's claimed is in fact so and know how accurate be the WT's inference(s) about it. I would read the study because the WT's claims about what it says contradict the other reports and testimony I cited in the post you've above partially quoted.

Note:
  1. "Fake news" --> Information published/uttered that is factually inaccurate and/or representationally unfaithful (to borrow a concept from accounting/auditing) with regard to context.

Would you rather try to cross a 4 foot barbed wire fence or a 30 foot tall climb resistant barrier?

Oh please lets' just stop with the 4 foot high barbed wire fence nonsense. What Americans don't want is a 25 billion dollar + money pit. And really the thinking that a wall would solve all our problems is childishly over-simplistic. Whereas investing in more border patrol personnel and equipment and taking advantage of modern technology that would be more effective and much more maintainable and sustainable in both cost and labor. Then couple that with comprehensive immigration law reform that deals with both those who arrive at our borders along with those whom are already here. While simultaneously pursuing a foreign policy plan for our Southern neighbors that seeks to deal with, and attempts to mitigate the economic and social forces that is driving this northern migration that would serve to promote not only their economic stability and security. But as a direct byproduct ours as well. But perhaps we probably should build a 30 foot high section of wall a la Trump style as a lasting, rusting and slowly rotting monument to Trump's stupidity and bigotry. The bottom line is that the 'the wall' isn't about security. What it's really all about is Trump's ego. He just wants to be able to point at it and say; "oh look what I did." That's all he really cares about.

Last edited:
and thats not including maintenance, manning it, deporting the 10-20 illegals already here, cost of removing that many workers from the economy, any other externalities or hidden costs.

Oh please lets' just stop with the 4 foot high barbed wire fence nonsense. What Americans don't want is a 25 billion dollar + money pit. And really the thinking that a wall would solve all our problems is childishly over-simplistic. Whereas investing in more border patrol personnel and equipment and taking advantage of modern technology that would be more effective and much more maintainable and sustainable in both cost and labor. Then couple that with comprehensive immigration law reform that deals with both those who arrive at our borders along with those whom are already here. While simultaneously pursuing a foreign policy plan for our Southern neighbors that seeks to deal with, and attempts to mitigate the economic and social forces that is driving this northern migration that would serve to promote not only their economic stability and security. But as a direct byproduct ours as well. But perhaps we probably should build a 30 foot high section of wall a la Trump style as a lasting, rusting and slowly rotting monument to Trump's stupidity and bigotry. The bottom line is that the 'the wall' isn't about security. What it's really all about is Trump's ego. He just wants to be able to point at it and say; "oh look what I did." That's all he really cares about.

The wall is going to get built, some way or another. As it is there is even a gofundme fundraiser to raise money to help build the wall and they've already raised over 5 million so it will get built.

How much money has Mexico contributed?

An ad hominem attack is an attack against a person. The part that I bolded was an attack against me personally. That is how I knew you lost your argument. :lol:

I already addressed your lazy protest conclusively. "You are unprepared to have an intellectual conversation," is not an attack and it's certainly not an ad hominem attack, but I hope you'll enjoy the new year anyway.

I already addressed your lazy protest conclusively. "You are unprepared to have an intellectual conversation," is not an attack and it's certainly not an ad hominem attack, but I hope you'll enjoy the new year anyway.
More ad hominem attack you just can't stop your self. :lol: Have a good 2019

More ad hominem attack you just can't stop your self. :lol: Have a good 2019

Awwwww do you need a safe place? :lamo

The wall is going to get built, some way or another. As it is there is even a gofundme fundraiser to raise money to help build the wall and they've already raised over 5 million so it will get built.

A 5 billion $ public works project were NO studies have been done to evaluate its effectiveness? Seems rather reckless.

I guess that why Obama sent billions to Iran. :roll:

It was Iranian money frozen in the US. Obama did not GIVE them anything that did not already belong to them.

And what does it have to do with a Wall which may or may not do as Trump claims.

No money for the Wall until a study is done on its effectiveness. I believe the Dems would approve such a study as a compromise in the current impasse.

Why are Righties afraid of such a study ? Its a major expendature building with public funds. I would be for funding a study, but no way no how should a dime be appropiated until experts determine its effectiveness.

Last edited:
It was Iranian money frozen in the US. Obama did not GIVE them anything that did not already belong to them.

And what does it have to do with a Wall which may or may not do as Trump claims.

No money for the Wall until a study is done on its effectiveness.

Just more what about what about Obama Bull****...There will be NO Wall.....Not on Nancy's watch

Just more what about what about Obama Bull****...There will be NO Wall.....Not on Nancy's watch

Yup

And I believe a Federally funded study on such a large project is needed before construction, makes sense to me.

Yup

And I believe a Federally funded study on such a large project is needed before construction, makes sense to me.

These ignorant bigoted morons living the Fly Over states ain't getting NO wall...They got played by trump

These ignorant bigoted morons living the Fly Over states ain't getting NO wall...They got played by trump

I agree

But if the Dems could introduce a House bill approving funds for such a study the Republicans and the President could save face, they could hardly refuse such an offer.

The government could reopen, seems like a fair compromise to me.

I certainly would not invest 5k in a project without due dillegence, why should the Feds get away with spending 5 billion without doing their due diligence.

Back
Top Bottom