• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Build Roads, Save the World

don't confuse what I am saying.

I am a proponent of stimulus packages however not in the way that it was done.
I would have rather taken that money and instead of giving it to special interest groups
it would have been better given in tax credits to people and small businesses.

I was specifically referring to Govt spending for the sole purpose of stimulating the economy.

Like investments on infrastructure or " shovel ready jobs "

Like I said, their strategies are governed by their ideology, not their effectiveness and because of that they would never entertain something like Tax cuts for Businesses.

Fiscal stimulus has failed again and again and they're still pushing it as a cure all

Fiscal stimulus is never the answer. Its simply the lefts one trick pony for growing economies that they do not and could never comprehend.

Its a purely ideological and arbitrary approach that papers over the substantial and structural issues that are causing stagnation at the expense of massive new debt and larger Govt

Once the stimulus is gone, the economy settles back into stagnation but now you're left with allot of new debt.

Japan tried it in the 90s, ( 10 different stimulus pacakages totaling 100 Trillion Yen ) just so they could return to stagnation and possess the worlds highest debt to GDP ratio

Spain now has ghost towns filled with brand new infrastructure and town homes and a brand new International airport. Completely abandoned.

Here's another example of the failure of stimulus

Burma's Shiny Ghost Capital: A Rare Visit to Empty Naypyidaw

I'm not an economist, but I'm an enthusiast for good roads. Beyond that, I believe Japan's problem wasn't so much stimulus but a mountain of bad loans and banks they would not allow to collapse. Finally, i think the US Interstate system was a good investment.

it would have been better given in tax credits to people and small businesses.

the economy grows from new products. Thats how we got from the stone age to here. So if you wanted to encourage growth, new jobs etc you would give incentives or credits to those who supply new products.

I'm not an economist, but I'm an enthusiast for good roads. Beyond that, I believe Japan's problem wasn't so much stimulus but a mountain of bad loans and banks they would not allow to collapse. Finally, i think the US Interstate system was a good investment.

Yes, Japan has far too little Republican capitalism in the banking system, and in other areas too.

sure it was. some places were spending 5m+ on 10 jobs to put in a lamp post or
other such nonsense.

it was a total waste as the money was handed out with 0 provable plan in place.
it was implemented because the money was handed out. the people that got the money
did spent it on something else.

it was an absolute failure.

If it wasn't used to build capital infrastructure then it wasn't implemented.

Republican cutting edge tech innovations are worth a million times more to the economy than a repaved Democratic road.

that is an excuse that is what the money was supposed to be spent on.
all those shovel ready jobs that were just needing funding.

none of them made it off the ground.
it was wasted.

The Interstate system was initiated by a Republican President.

like it would not have occured to the states to connect their roads!! Liberalism is such a joke

The Interstate highways were and remain a federal project.

as if the states would not have wanted to connect their roads themselves.

as if the states would not have wanted to connect their roads themselves.

Their roads were connected. No one had conceived the interstate highways, an idea Eisenhower got from observing the autobahns in Germany.

Their roads were connected. No one had conceived the interstate highways, an idea Eisenhower got from observing the autobahns in Germany.

and you'r point is???????????????

Eisenhower built roads and made the US a better place.

so, lots of people built roads and made us better place. What's your point??

Build roads, save the world. I'm intrigued. What do you think?

How to fix the world worker glut: Build more roads

"Maybe everyone is overcomplicating America's economic challenges today. Maybe there are no deep mysteries behind the slow growth, the stagnating incomes and the widespread economic anxieties that have given rise to populist movements on the left and the right.

Maybe the problem is simple: too many workers.
That is the argument made in a new paper released by the centrist Democratic think tank Third Way, which theorizes that the world economy is suffering from an oversupply of labor and too little demand for the goods and services those workers produce.
But the solution, they say, also is simple, though politically unpopular: roads and bridges, and a lot of them.
Penned by investment banker Daniel Alpert, the paper, builds on his 2013 book “The Age of Oversupply,” and it's Third Way’s latest effort to shape the liberal policy conversation in the 2016 presidential primaries. It does so in decidedly un-centrist fashion — by embracing a larger infrastructure spending program than Bernie Sanders does. . . "

liberals want to employ people repaving roads while conservatives want to employ them inventing, making, servicing and selling Iphones!! See the vast difference in intelligence between liberals and conservatives?

liberals want to employ people repaving roads while conservatives want to employ them inventing, making, servicing and selling Iphones!! See the vast difference in intelligence between liberals and conservatives?

Most posters here call me a conservative, although I consider myself simply an empiricist.

Read and learn.

Good luck in all your future endeavors.

Back
Top Bottom