• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Budget whiplash: California faces $25 billion deficit

eman623

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The state is going from a $97 billion surplus (thanks US taxpayers for all that free stimulus money!) to a $25 billion deficit in a single year.

This is what happens when your tax rates are so progressive that literally half of the state's income tax revenue is paid by 1% of the taxpayers. If the stock market goes down and they have a bad year, the state goes broke. And when they flee the state (as they are doing in droves) to places like TX and FL which have no personal income tax, it hurts the state even more.

The Dems who runs the state could widen the tax base, but that might cost them an election. So forget that.

The state is going from a $97 billion surplus (thanks US taxpayers for all that free stimulus money!) to a $25 billion deficit in a single year.

This is what happens when your tax rates are so progressive that literally half of the state's income tax revenue is paid by 1% of the taxpayers. If the stock market goes down and they have a bad year, the state goes broke. And when they flee the state (as they are doing in droves) to places like TX and FL which have no personal income tax, it hurts the state even more.

The Dems who runs the state could widen the tax base, but that might cost them an election. So forget that.

Without blue areas, America would be a legit shithole country. Blue areas = 75% of national GDP. California ranks 5th if treated as a nation and ranked against the rest of the world, in the size of its economy. As for sweet tax dollars, red states are leechs. Takers. Mooches. McConnell's KT is the biggest, clawing back something like twice what it sends.

So of course we shouldn't be surprised when committed righties lie their asses right off, claiming that actually blue states are takers. And the whole "I'm really jealous of CA, and SF in particular" thing is just....sad

Without blue areas, America would be a legit shithole country. Blue areas = 75% of national GDP. California ranks 5th if treated as a nation and ranked against the rest of the world, in the size of its economy. As for sweet tax dollars, red states are leechs. Takers. Mooches. McConnell's KT is the biggest, clawing back something like twice what it sends.

So of course we shouldn't be surprised when committed righties lie their asses right off, claiming that actually blue states are takers. And the whole "I'm really jealous of CA, and SF in particular" thing is just....sad

have you seen the replay of the anti drug tv ad from Mexico that used video of Philadelphia street druggies as a visual warning to their citizens? (To view it you may have to click on a non liberal website)

You brag on blue areas, lol. Let's see??? crime, homelessness, drugs on the streets, no-bail arrests, crappy schools, high taxes, etc yea, lol such paradise. lol

Without those red flyover states, you'd starve and have no clothes.

The OP is just stating a fact about CA deficit.

This will not help Gavin Newsom in his bid to become president in 2024.

You brag on blue areas, lol. Let's see??? crime, homelessness, drugs on the streets, no-bail arrests, crappy schools, high taxes, etc yea, lol such paradise. lol

The recently re-activated account has some bumper stickers, so you better all watch out!

Rockefeller institute has tracked it for quite a while. Red states are takers, it's that simple. Blue states either send in more than they get back from the feds or send in a much larger percentage of what they get back than red states. Red states get far more than they send in. And yes, blue areas carry 75% of GDP.

You can also divvy it up by vote. So for example, counties going for Biden represented 71% of GDP, and areas that went for Trump represented a piddling 29%.

See also

Do it by congressional district (data for 2018), and it's that blue districts represented 63.6% of GDP and red 36.4%

Any way you slice it, reds areas suck up resources that blue areas produce.

The recently re-activated account has some bumper stickers, so you better all watch out!

Rockefeller institute has tracked it for quite a while. Red states are takers, it's that simple. Blue states either send in more than they get back from the feds or send in a much larger percentage of what they get back than red states. Red states get far more than they send in. And yes, blue areas carry 75% of GDP.

You can also divvy it up by vote. So for example, counties going for Biden represented 71% of GDP, and areas that went for Trump represented a piddling 29%.

See also

Do it by congressional district (data for 2018), and it's that blue districts represented 63.6% of GDP and red 36.4%

yes, this tired old argument. Libs have been tossing it around for years.
When those huge firms move out, the local GDP's going to drop. Saying hey look they have a NYC or LA address, they add to the GDP in a blue area. Blue areas still need food and clothes. 🙂

As for "recently reactivated". Yea, I had to take a break from extremes on both sides during the election.

have you seen the replay of the anti drug tv ad from Mexico that used video of Philadelphia street druggies as a visual warning to their citizens? (To view it you may have to click on a non liberal website)

Crime rates?
  1. District of Columbia - 7,985.93 per 100,000 people
  2. New Mexico - 6,462.03 per 100,000 people
  3. Louisiana - 6,408.22 per 100,000 people
  4. Colorado - 6,090.76 per 100,000 people
  5. South Carolina - 5,972.84 per 100,000 people
  6. Arkansas - 5,898.75 per 100,000 people
  7. Oklahoma - 5,869.82 per 100,000 people
  8. Washington - 5,758.57 per 100,000 people
  9. Tennessee - 5,658.30 per 100,000 people
  10. Oregon - 5,609.89 per 100,000 people

I count 1, maybe 2 blue states. Try again?

rofl. You seem to like numbers.

Crime Rates
red vs blue cities
wow, look at the blue!!

Homeless Cities
more blue

Street Drugs --more blue

no- bail arrest- just one example provided (and it's not CA lol), many more articles out there.

Crappy schools- google Loudoun County VA school board as the prime example.

NYC doesn't produce my food. NYC Corporation HQ's that push around accounting ledgers may own 'em, but report profits there. I know Alcoa doesn't have any reduction or casting plants in NYC. lol

Here's a list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_based_in_New_York_City

Crime rates?

Mr Person said "blue areas" Now, go look at the blue spots in your "red" states. I believe you'll find a correlation between high crime and "blue areas".

lol I don't think DC has ever been red lol. correct me if I'm wrong. But, not in my lifetime has it been red lol
let's say? AR- Little Rock & West Memphis probably have skewed state data.
TN - Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga come to mind.
The big cities in CO, etc.
I know that the case in VA. The higher crime areas are in blue areas. N VA, RVA, VA Beach are examples. I live just outside a blue city. I see it every day.
Check it out, dig deeper on crime stats.

Crime Rates
red vs blue cities
Ok, let's compare. I see two red cities in the top 15.

1. St Louis
2. Detroit
3. Baltimore

4. Memphis
5. Little Rock
6. Milwaukee
7. Rockford, IL
8. Cleveland
9. Stockton
10. Albuquerque
11. Springfield, Mo
12. Indianapolis
13. Oakland
14. San Bernardino

15. Anchorage

Crime rates?

I count 5. DC, NM, CO, WA and OR.

But crime rates are not uniform across an entire state. Look at the cities with the highest crime. Almost all blue.

Ok, let's compare. I see two red cities in the top 15.

1. St Louis
2. Detroit
3. Baltimore

4. Memphis
5. Little Rock
6. Milwaukee
7. Rockford, IL
8. Cleveland
9. Stockton
10. Albuquerque
11. Springfield, Mo
12. Indianapolis
13. Oakland
14. San Bernardino

15. Anchorage

LR is Dem,

Politics & Voting in Little Rock, Arkansas​

The Political Climate in Little Rock, AR is Moderately liberal.
Pulaski County, AR is Moderately liberal. In Pulaski County, AR 60.0% of the people voted Democrat in the last presidential election, 37.5% voted for the Republican Party, and the remaining 2.5% voted Independent.
In the last Presidential election, Pulaski county remained overwhelmingly Democratic, 60.0% to 37.5%.
Pulaski county voted Democratic in every Presidential election since 2000

Anchorage

Politics & Voting in Anchorage, Alaska​

The Political Climate in Anchorage, AK is Leaning liberal.
Anchorage Municipality County, AK is Leaning liberal. In Anchorage Municipality County, AK 49.5% of the people voted Democrat in the last presidential election, 46.4% voted for the Republican Party, and the remaining 4.1% voted Independent.
In the last Presidential election, Anchorage Municipality flipped Democratic, 49.5% to 46.4%.
Anchorage Municipality flipped Democratic in 2020, after voting Republican in 2016, 2012, 2008 and 2004

Mr Person said "blue areas" Now, go look at the blue spots in your "red" states. I believe you'll find a correlation between high crime and "blue areas".

lol I don't think DC has ever been red lol. correct me if I'm wrong. But, not in my lifetime has it been red lol
let's say? AR- Little Rock & West Memphis probably have skewed state data.
TN - Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga come to mind.
The big cities in CO, etc.
I know that the case in VA. The higher crime areas are in blue areas. N VA, RVA, VA Beach are examples. I live just outside a blue city. I see it every day.
Check it out, dig deeper on crime stats.
DC is not a state.
The five highest murder rates by county in CA
Trinity 14.7
Siskiyou 13.5
Yuba 9.1
Lake 7.8
Del Norte 7.4

Try again.

DC is not a state.
The five highest murder rates by county in CA
Trinity 14.7
Siskiyou 13.5
Yuba 9.1
Lake 7.8
Del Norte 7.4

Try again.
Source?

I'm not sure how this thread about deficits got derailed into one about crime.

Focus, people.

California's broke. Again.

Dear Federal Government. Please send another hundred billion or so to CA. No, we don't know what happened to the last hundred billion you sent. We just need more. And hurry it up this time!

I'm not sure how this thread about deficits got derailed into one about crime.

Focus, people.

California's broke. Again.

Dear Federal Government. Please send another hundred billion or so to CA. No, we don't know what happened to the last hundred billion you sent. We just need more. And hurry it up this time!

I shudder to think of how ignorant that post just was. LOL. You can always tell the am radio listeners.

Clothes are made in the third world mostly. He is right, the average Biden voting zip code had around 11 times the gdp of the average Trump voting zip code.

There’s not much room to widen the tax base, California would be a third world nation if it were a country, it would have a large base of poor people and a small base of hyper wealthy people. In fact the hyper wealthy are actually tax favored by the state

Without blue areas, America would be a legit shithole country. Blue areas = 75% of national GDP.
GDP is a bad economic measure. Most of GDP measure is actually parasitic and not value producing. If you have people hired in HR to enforce diversity that is being recorded in GDP but it is not producing value.

Most of the GDP dollars in “blue areas” are from value produced in rural areas. If a bushel of wheat is produced in Kansas it’s sold on the Chicago mercantile exchange and most of the money is made there
California ranks 5th if treated as a nation and ranked against the rest of the world,
It would rapidly decline if it were a nation. Most of this valuation would have to be considered against the context that it’s part of the United States
in the size of its economy. As for sweet tax dollars, red states are leechs. Takers. Mooches. McConnell's KT is the biggest, clawing back something like twice what it sends.
Blah blah blah
So of course we shouldn't be surprised when committed righties lie their asses right off, claiming that actually blue states are takers.
They are, theres many ways in which this is true, aside from the fact they make all the valuation of production in the hinterlands
And the whole "I'm really jealous of CA, and SF in particular" thing is just....sad
Blah blah

Yeah, you don’t seem to know what you’re even reading. (And there seems zero basis for thinking people moving are at all an impact - if actually love to see a source on that)

It’s a projected deficit from a legislative analyst and advisor - and now CA will have until June of 2023 to prepare and agree on a budget. And using this projection, can change spending, etc to avoid a deficit.

And in reading not only that article but several others, it seems that CA may be in a situation TO avoid a deficit

"In the past, tough forecasts like this would have meant painful program cuts and middle class tax increases – things that actually cause more economic harm. That does not have to be the case this year," said State Senate Pro Tempore, Toni Atkins in a statement. "Thanks to our responsible approach, we are confident that we can protect our progress and craft a state budget without ongoing cuts to schools and other core programs or taxing middle class families. The bottom line is simple: we are prepared to hold onto the gains we’ve made and continue where we left off once our economy and revenues rebound

Clothes are made in the third world mostly. He is right, the average Biden voting zip code had around 11 times the gdp of the average Trump voting zip code.

so, politicians can use the lower population data to make the per capita GDP look better. After all it's just the GDP divided by the population. Big blue cities are losing people and corporations. (look at the corporate flight from Chicago). Those numbers will get inflated with a smaller population. The politicians will rejoice!

as for your third world comment.
"Gross domestic product (GDP) is the total monetary or market value of all the finished goods and services produced within a country’s borders in a specific time period. As a broad measure of overall domestic production, it functions as a comprehensive scorecard of a given country’s economic health."

Back
Top Bottom