• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Buckle Down, It's about to get Hot!

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Heat dome could be deadly over U.S. this week - CNN.com

160715152721-extreme-weather-heat-dome-exlarge-169.jpg

Now that's what I call glow ball warming. OK, half a ball.

It does happen every few years, but yes it has been hot.

I'm looking at the forecast here (SW Ohio) for the next 15 days. All of them show highs above 90.

It's going to be rough riding my bike. Anything over 85 really kicks my butt unless I soak my head and supplement my water with electrolytes.

I'm looking at the forecast here (SW Ohio) for the next 15 days. All of them show highs above 90.

It's going to be rough riding my bike. Anything over 85 really kicks my butt unless I soak my head and supplement my water with electrolytes.
In SE Texas we have not passed 100 yet, but the heat index has been brutal.
Lately it's has been like people who live in extremely cold places, they just move from heated place to heated place,
only here it is from Cooled place to Cooled place.

In SE Texas we have not passed 100 yet, but the heat index has been brutal.
Lately it's has been like people who live in extremely cold places, they just move from heated place to heated place,
only here it is from Cooled place to Cooled place.

I read the other day that San Antonio was going to be in triple digits next week. I imagine Houston will get there too, plus they will have much higher humidity.

Midwest temps are right there with them. St Louis and KC are all showing 100-plus next week. Even places as far North as Fargo are looking at 90-plus.

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would live in Fargo.

I read the other day that San Antonio was going to be in triple digits next week. I imagine Houston will get there too, plus they will have much higher humidity.

Midwest temps are right there with them. St Louis and KC are all showing 100-plus next week. Even places as far North as Fargo are looking at 90-plus.

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would live in Fargo.

Texas is nowhere near setting any record for 100 degree (indexed or not) days this year. I can attest to the discomfort of working outside in the heat and humidity but this year is nowhere near as bad as it has gotten.

Enjoy, as the world experiences these events with increasing frequency in summer. Persistence of pattern is difficult to break. For a while these blocking patterns become self sustaining. This one will be headline news.

OMG we're all going to die !!!!!

In Houston we call this heat and humidity " Summer " and its not all that bad.

High pressure wards off hurricanes, pushes them up into LA or down into Mexico.

all winter we are trapped in doors many days due to cold and then in the summer we put AC on

right now it is perfect outside at 19°C but by Friday it will be 32°C with a humidex of 41°C that will feel like 106°F

I am not a heat fan

all winter we are trapped in doors many days due to cold and then in the summer we put AC on

right now it is perfect outside at 19°C but by Friday it will be 32°C with a humidex of 41°C that will feel like 106°F

I am not a heat fan

No one is. They human body can not function for long in those conditions, particularly in open sunshine and if engaged in any form of physical activity. Drink, drink and drink more water.

No one is. They human body can not function for long in those conditions, particularly in open sunshine and if engaged in any form of physical activity. Drink, drink and drink more water.

definitely the key is to hydrate, move slowly and stay out of the direct sun

for some reason this summer our temps have fluctuated wildly in close range for instance it will be 33°C one day and 23°C the next, and then back up for a few that is a huge seesaw

definitely the key is to hydrate, move slowly and stay out of the direct sun

for some reason this summer our temps have fluctuated wildly in close range for instance it will be 33°C one day and 23°C the next, and then back up for a few that is a huge seesaw

You must be situated near a meandering frontal boundary or where frontal passages are frequent. I'm guessing the northern tier of states just east of the Rockies.

Doesn't sound anymore extreme than what we already get around here, to be honest.

Electrolytes work against hot weather?

Electrolytes work against hot weather?

No. But, drinking lots of water does. And, unfortunately, drinking lots of water zaps the body of electrolytes.

For, me the key mineral is Potassium. Without supplementing it, I cramp up after about 2-3 hours of pedaling on a hot day.

Doesn't sound anymore extreme than what we already get around here, to be honest.

Sure. I lived in SC for a few years, and then moved to Savannah, GA. Hot was the norm. But, this is Ohio. We call anything over 85 hot. And, it's been over 85 all month. So, this is a hot summer.

No. But, drinking lots of water does. And, unfortunately, drinking lots of water zaps the body of electrolytes.

For, me the key mineral is Potassium. Without supplementing it, I cramp up after about 2-3 hours of pedaling on a hot day.

2 or 3 hours?
I'm safe.

2 or 3 hours?
I'm safe.
When I have to work outside, in the heat (not very often), I just slow down, lots of water, lots of breaks.

2 or 3 hours?
I'm safe.

6 hours to ride 100 miles. BUt most of that is in the shade.

My ride home from work is 30 miles. It takes it little under 2 hours. The only shade on that stretch is uphill. Hottest part of the day too. I can only do a few days in a row when the weather is over 90.

I see Chicken Little has a sock puppet named Calamity.

6 hours to ride 100 miles. BUt most of that is in the shade.

My ride home from work is 30 miles. It takes it little under 2 hours. The only shade on that stretch is uphill. Hottest part of the day too. I can only do a few days in a row when the weather is over 90.

I guess you can stop by the Piggly Wiggly and pick up a sack of ice to sit on!

Back
Top Bottom