• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bubble Bubble. can you spot the bubble [W:153]

That's all you have VERN, quotes taken out of context and your ridiculous attempts to conect them to your 4 year Bubble.

er uh Fenton, I would ask you to explain how Treasury Sec John Snow clearly telling congress that there was nothing wrong with Freddie and fannie is out of context but we both know you wont. And then you post more 10,000 therapeutic and discredited posts.. And don't forget, Snow said 'far from it'. mmmm, let me put Treas Sec John Snow's comment's in context

Strong opposition by the Bush administration forced a top Republican congressman to delay a vote on a bill that would create a new regulator for mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Oxley pulls Fannie, Freddie bill under heat from Bush - MarketWatch
Despite what appeared to be a broad consensus on GSE regulatory reform, efforts quickly stalled. A legislative markup scheduled for October 8, 2003, in the House of Representatives was halted because the Bush administration withdrew its support for the bill,

http://www.frbatlanta.org/filelegacydocs/er04_framewhite.pdf

and then when you realize that Bush forced Freddie and Fannie to purchase more low income home loans, 440 billion in MBSs and then reversed the Clinton rule that actually reigned in Freddie and Fannie, its perfectly in context

Uh, no. Pointing out your bias is quite enough.

that's funny arbo, you've posted nothing but "wah wah, you're blaming Bush". Yes and I'm using actual facts not an endless string of out of context quotes and lying editorials. I've posted actual facts. Oh, here's another quote for Fenton to not put in his endless string of quotes.

When a chamber of the republican congress finally passed an actual reform bill this is what Bush thought of it

STATEMENT OF ADMINISTRATION POLICY
The Administration strongly believes that the housing GSEs should be focused on their core housing mission, particularly with respect to low-income Americans and first-time homebuyers. Instead, provisions of H.R. 1461 that expand mortgage purchasing authority would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.

George W. Bush: Statement of Administration Policy: H.R. 1461 - Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2005

Yes, he said he was against it because it "would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers". And here's what the House Republican Mike Oxley, Chairman of the House Financial Services committee said

“"Instead, the Ohio Republican who headed the House financial services committee until his retirement after mid-term elections last year, blames the mess on ideologues within the White House as well as Alan Greenspan, former chairman of the Federal Reserve.
The critics have forgotten that the House passed a GSE reform bill in 2005 that could well have prevented the current crisis, says Mr Oxley, now vice-chairman of Nasdaq.”

“What did we get from the White House? We got a one-finger salute.”

(sorry no direct link. Go to google and search on 'Oxley hits back at ideologues' in the search button and click on the Financial Times link)

Bubble Bubble. can you spot the bubble

I gave page after page of documented evidence to support my position, you responded by posting intelligble rants about Pigeons playing chess
Thank you. I thought it was quite intelligible, too!

Now that you've managed to throw in ACORN and Janet Reno, you've demonstrated you've **** the board.

Time to declare victory and fly away.

That's all you have VERN, quotes taken out of context and your ridiculous attempts to conect them to your 4 year Bubble.

Snow testifies...." Events that have transpired since I testified before this Committee in 2003 reinforce concerns over the systemic risk posed by the GSEs..."

Bush administration in 2004...from his FY05 Budget.
" This Administration hzs determined the Safety and Soundness Regulators of the Housing GSEs lack sufficient power and stature to meet their responsibillities and therfore should be replaced with aa STRENGTHENED REGULATOR."

Want me to post the additional 15 quotes so you can ignore them ?

In 2004 right when Fannie and Freddie were heading into NINA loans the Bush administration was calling for a stronger regulator.

What were the Democrats doing VERN ?

Cmon, you can do it ? What was their response to a stronger 3rd party regulator ?

So conservatives are for more regulation and Democrats are for less.

This is what happens to a brain on Obamaphobia.

But at least you've admitted that the conservative doctrine of deregulation is utter rubbish. That's something.

Thank you. I thought it was quite intelligible, too!

Now that you've managed to throw in ACORN and Janet Reno, you've demonstrated you've **** the board.

Time to declare victory and fly away.

And you've managed to not exceed any expectations. One basic expectation would have been for you to read and then comprehend but since that's beyond you I'll leave you to dismiss factual data arbitrarily and offer up NO counter data.

Just another day, just another ridiculous Liberal Post.

I hope your'e happy in your Low Information Shell, I hear there are cookies in those things.

And you've managed to not exceed any expectations. One basic expectation would have been for you to read and then comprehend but since that's beyond you I'll leave you to dismiss factual data arbitrarily and offer up NO counter data.

Just another day, just another ridiculous Liberal Post.

I hope your'e happy in your Low Information Shell, I hear there are cookies in those things.

Yep. The pigeon has flown.

that's funny arbo, you've posted nothing but "wah wah, you're blaming Bush". Yes and I'm using actual facts not an endless string of out of context quotes and lying editorials. I've posted actual facts. Oh, here's another quote for Fenton to not put in his endless string of quotes.

When a chamber of the republican congress finally passed an actual reform bill this is what Bush thought of it

STATEMENT OF ADMINISTRATION POLICY
The Administration strongly believes that the housing GSEs should be focused on their core housing mission, particularly with respect to low-income Americans and first-time homebuyers. Instead, provisions of H.R. 1461 that expand mortgage purchasing authority would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.

George W. Bush: Statement of Administration Policy: H.R. 1461 - Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2005

Yes, he said he was against it because it "would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers". And here's what the House Republican Mike Oxley, Chairman of the House Financial Services committee said

“"Instead, the Ohio Republican who headed the House financial services committee until his retirement after mid-term elections last year, blames the mess on ideologues within the White House as well as Alan Greenspan, former chairman of the Federal Reserve.
The critics have forgotten that the House passed a GSE reform bill in 2005 that could well have prevented the current crisis, says Mr Oxley, now vice-chairman of Nasdaq.”

“What did we get from the White House? We got a one-finger salute.”

(sorry no direct link. Go to google and search on 'Oxley hits back at ideologues' in the search button and click on the Financial Times link)

LOL !!!!!

One errant Republican means what VERN ? In 2005 the Republicans were trying to push SB 109. What happened to it VERN ? And what Bills were the Democrats pushing ?

They weren't, they were too busy lying about the health of Fannie and Freddie, they were too busy diving head first into NINA loans and they were too busy setting the stage for the 2008 Collapse.

5 TRILLION in Crap loans and MBS's, and now they all belong to the Federal Government. Obama's response ? To start up the Sub-Prime Machine again...

Race-Obsessed Obama Is Artificially Reinflating The Housing Bubble - Investors.com

Subprime Scandal: The administration is fueling another housing bubble by pushing lenders to finance homes for people who can't afford them. Pressure is coming from all corners of government.

President Obama is worried about a plunge in new-home buying among minority borrowers with subprime credit scores. So he's using the Federal Housing Administration, for starters, to help finance failure.
In a reckless gambit, FHA is asking lenders to relax lending standards, while assuring them it will back home loans down to a 580 FICO score with a minimal down payment and high debt-to-income ratio.

"The obligation that I have is to ensure lenders using the FHA program are lending to as full a spectrum of the credit box as possible," FHA Commissioner Carol Galante recently said.

FHA's chief urging banks to underwrite subprime loans conjures up bad memories of Fannie Mae CEO Franklin Raines begging for more subprime loans before the crisis.
In fact, loans purchased, insured or guaranteed by either Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, as well as FHA, are automatically designated "qualified mortgages" under new mortgage rules issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

The new rule offers some legal protection to lenders pressured to make junk mortgages. Although FHA is the government's new anchor subprime program, Fannie and Freddie are still backing subprime mortgages.
Pressure to ease credit is coming from other federal agencies, including the Justice Department, which has threatened banks with lawsuits if they don't reinvest in minority communities hit hard by subprime foreclosures. It's ordered some lenders to open branches in recessed areas of Detroit and St. Louis and other cities with heavy subprime foreclosures.

What's more, the biggest mortgage lenders in the country, including Wells Fargo and Bank of America, are under federal mandates to advertise in minority media and offer loans to people on "public assistance."

The government is actually forcing them to target high-risk borrowers for 30-year debt under threat of prosecution. They have to adopt minority-friendly loan programs over the next several years or face investigation for discrimination.
Some of these programs include setting aside millions in prime mortgages for minorities who, according to government documents IBD has reviewed, would ordinarily not qualify for reasons including "the lack of required credit quality, income or down payment."

:lamo:lamo

So enough of your nonsense VERN, your current President is diving right back in where Clinton left off, who are you going to blame now ? Bush ???

I'm sure nobody will take me seriously but if I were 20 or 30 years younger, I would buy as much property as possible in downtown Detroit. This is the drain circling moment when you get the bargains and once they sort out their issues, I bet you'll see lots of stimulus aimed at Detroit and if they can make even half a comeback, you'd make a fortune. I've seen what happened when New York went broke, Chicago was a complete crime scene and if you bought property at those times, you did better than rather well.

Buy when they cry. In 2010 Las Vegas housing prices dropped below their 1976 prices and just this year are recovering nicely. But Detroit you could get 1953 prices.

Just ruminating. No political content.

One errant Republican means what VERN ? In 2005 the Republicans were trying to push SB 109. What happened to it VERN ? And what Bills were the Democrats pushing ?
One errant republican? that’s funny fenton, Oxley was Chairman of the House Financial Services committee and sponsor of the only reform bill to pass any chamber of the republican controlled congress. yea, that’s ‘errant’.

Yes fenton, what happened to SB109? I know you know because I told you. SB 109 passed committee. It passed committee but Senate Leader Frist refused to allow a vote on it.. Strangely Fenton leaves out the part that Bush was against SB109. yes, remember the part where bush attacked the House version because it “ would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.” mmm, could that be a reason Frist refused to allow a vote on SB109?

And “ would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.” is in context because Bush was very consistent in the matter of reform. Bush stopped reform the first time after he told the democrats there was nothing wrong with Freddie and fannie. Bush forced GSEs to buy more low income home loans and 440 billion in MBSs. And the key is Bush reversed the Clinton rule that limited Freddie and Fannies subprime purchases. so it’ as in context as any quote could possibly be.

Let me sum up
Democratic quotes didn’t cause the bush mortgage bubble
republican quotes didn’t cause the Bush mortgage bubble.
republican policies and actions caused the bush mortgage bubble

Buy when they cry. In 2010 Las Vegas housing prices dropped below their 1976 prices and just this year are recovering nicely. But Detroit you could get 1953 prices.

Actually when you look at the Case Shiller Graph for Las Vegas, 2010 prices equated to 2000. the bottom seemed to be early 2012. those prices equate to 96. Oh wait, are you posting another anecodotal story? speaking of anecdotal stories, you posted your anecdotal story about the bubble but you never actually said what the home price graph showed. Looking at the bubble states, when does it look like a ‘housing bubble’ started?

As far as Detroit goes, its too soon. Since it looks like Las Vegas has hit bottom (based on the graph not personal experience) you should buy properties in Vegas

And out come the 'therapeutic' and discredited 10,000 word posts from Fenton. Fenton, here's a crazy idea, why not address the graphs of what a bubble looks like? Did you see the 'dramatic' increase in home prices in 2004? probably not.
Did you bother to note that the excessive inflation (bubble) started in 1999? No, you didn't!
us_home_prices_vs_rents.jpg

Did you bother to note that the excessive inflation (bubble) started in 1999? No, you didn't!

Oh dn, you cling to that graph as your life depended on it. You have yet to explain how the one metric " home prices vs OER" is the proof of a bubble. You have some theory about "housing inflation" but you've supplied no details. Also you refuse to acknowledge the graphs in this thread showing exactly what a bubble looks like. the graphs clearly show a bubble starting in 2004. and thats in addition to Bush's working group telling you it started late 2004 , the actual mortgage data showing it started in 2004 and Fannie mae's mortgage data showing it started 2004. And you have to ignore that defaults started rising in mid 2005. your silly theory about "housing inflation" has to pretend the dramatic rise in defaults started in 2008.

so dn, I dont ignore your price vs OER graph, I just dismiss it as irrelevent (if its even true). Home price appreciation (or as you like to say "housing inflation" as if it makes it sound more evil) doesnt destroy the economy of the planet. We now know home price appreciation based on an influx of unqualified buyers does destroy the economy of the planet.

6 m.jpg

Hey I added new york. so in the graph I see NY with the two bubble states, Fl and Cal, with Texas. Mmmm, NY shot up (not as bubbly as Fl and Cal) but didnt fall back down. the reason I like this graph is it pretty much shows the value of my house I bought in the 90s. also according to dn that "evil housing inflation" in NY is surely foreboding a housing crash, financial crisis or meteor strike. I should sell now.

One errant republican? that’s funny fenton, Oxley
was Chairman of the House Financial Services committee and sponsor of the only reform bill to pass any chamber of the republican controlled
congress. yea, that’s ‘errant’.

Yes fenton, what happened to SB109? I know you know because I told you. SB 109 passed committee. It passed committee but Senate Leader Frist refused to allow a vote on it.. Strangely Fenton leaves out the part that Bush was against SB109. yes, remember the part where bush attacked the House version because it “ would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.” mmm, could that be a reason Frist refused to allow a vote on SB109?

And “ would lessen the housing GSEs' commitment to low-income homebuyers.” is in context because Bush was very consistent in the matter of reform. Bush stopped reform the first time after he told the democrats there was nothing wrong with Freddie and fannie. Bush forced GSEs to buy more low income home loans and 440 billion in MBSs. And the key is Bush reversed the Clinton rule that limited Freddie and Fannies subprime purchases. so it’ as in context as any quote could possibly be.

Let me sum up
Democratic quotes didn’t cause the bush mortgage bubble
republican quotes didn’t cause the Bush mortgage bubble.
republican policies and actions caused the bush mortgage bubble

In reference to the mortgage bubble mandated by Democrat policies your far too ignorant to sum anything up.

Oh and SB.109 never got a vote in the Senate because the Democrats threatened to Filibuster it. Hell they did everything in their power to stop New Regualtions. 72 of them signed a letter warning Bush not to Regulate Fannie Mae, they lied in front of Comittee's headed up by Republicans.

Oh it passed that Comittee on party lines with 9 DEMOCRATS voting against it.

Still waiting for you to post Democrat efforts or bills that would have walked back the collapse.

The rest of your nonsense ? Well, look where your thread is located. In the BS part of the forum.

No one takes your Bush blame seriously.

Oh and SB.109 never got a vote in the Senate because the Democrats threatened to Filibuster it.

Ah, another Fenton Fact [SUP]©[/SUP] . That's something fenton posts because he needs it for his narrative. He literally posts dozens of them hidden in his 10,000 word posts. I used to call him out to back them up but he never does.
Oh it passed that Comittee on party lines with 9 DEMOCRATS voting against it.
yes, I don't deny the facts like you do. Pubs added an amendment dems objected to. But that doesn't stop Frist from allowing a vote on it. and since that doesn't prevent Frist from doing anything, its still Frist's fault. You just cant magically make facts go away. mmm, do you think bush attacking SB109 might have been a factor? Do you acknowledge that bush attacked SB 109?

Still waiting for you to post Democrat efforts or bills that would have walked back the collapse..

Barney Frank was quite critical of Bush's GSE policies You saw the quote (hey add that to your pointless 50,000 word narrative). And get this, Barney wrote a bill to roll back Bush's preemption policy You remember, Bush preempted all state laws against predatory lending in 2004. Yes, the same year the Bush Mortgage Bubble started. Well the republican congress was not to let him derail their mortgage bubble.

But fenton, I don't have to post democratic efforts to stop the Bush Mortgage Bubble (even though I did). I just prove its a result of Bush's policies. For you to take the line "oh yea, dems didn't try to stop it" is just another pathetic attempt to not hold Bush accountable for his policies that destroyed the economy of the planet.

oh no fenton, they take it seriously it. Why else would they whine and whine incessantly at it. One guy even posts pointless 50,000 word narratives trying to dispute it but not one con has refuted one fact I've posted.

Since I take some of his argument seriously, especially that of the Bush administration turning a blind eye to regulating lending, I guess this empirical evidence now makes you wrong. Or a liar. Or both.

But given your previous posts, that probably doesnt come as a surprise to most.

Since I take some of his argument seriously, especially that of the Bush administration turning a blind eye to regulating lending, I guess this empirical evidence now makes you wrong. Or a liar. Or both.

Not only did he take a blind eye but he actively rescinded State laws that would have prohibited the predatory lending by Commercial Banks. Bush was an ENABLER of bad loans in the bubble.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/13/AR2008021302783.html

Since I take some of his argument seriously, especially that of the Bush
administration turning a blind eye to regulating lending, I guess this empirical evidence now makes you wrong. Or a liar. Or both.

Don't use words you don't understand, ( emperical ) you have made yourself look pretty stupid already. Oh and you have yet to post ANY empirical data.

2004 Bush's FY05 Budget..." The administration has determined that the safety soundness regulator of the Housing GSEs lacks sufficient power and statue to meet their responsibillities and therefore should be replaced with a strengthened regulator"

Ah, another Fenton Fact [SUP]©[/SUP] .
That's something fenton posts because he needs it for his narrative. He literally posts dozens of them hidden in his 10,000 word posts. I used to call him out to back them up but he never does.

yes, I don't deny the facts like you do. Pubs added an amendment dems objected to. But that doesn't stop Frist from allowing a vote on it. and since that doesn't prevent Frist from doing anything, its still Frist's fault. You just cant magically make facts go away. mmm, do you think bush attacking SB109 might have been a factor? Do you acknowledge that bush attacked SB 109?

Barney Frank was quite critical of Bush's GSE policies You saw the quote (hey add that to your pointless 50,000 word narrative). And get this, Barney wrote a bill to roll back Bush's preemption policy You remember, Bush preempted all state laws against predatory lending in 2004. Yes, the same year the Bush Mortgage Bubble started. Well the republican congress was not to let him derail their mortgage bubble.

But fenton, I don't have to post democratic efforts to stop the Bush Mortgage Bubble (even though I did). I just prove its a result of Bush's policies. For you to take the line "oh yea, dems didn't try to stop it" is just another pathetic attempt to not hold Bush accountable for his policies that destroyed the economy of the planet.

oh no fenton, they take it seriously it. Why else would they whine and whine incessantly at it. One guy even posts pointless 50,000 word narratives trying to dispute it but not one con has refuted one fact I've posted.

SB.190 Vote 11-9, Democrats opposed on party lines but the Republicans were the ones who killed it ?

Your raving. Lunacy in your own twisted reality VERN.

SB.190 Vote 11-9, Democrats opposed on party lines but the Republicans were the ones who killed it ?

Your raving. Lunacy in your own twisted reality VERN.

Yes fenton, it passed committee. You simply cant wish away the fact that Bush was against any GSE regulation and Republican Leader Frist refused to allow a vote on it. Strange that you pretend not to know that.

oh and fenton, HR 1461 passed 331 to 90. can you put that into your pointless 50,000 word narrative?

Yes Vern. You have your graph and that's all you need.

Don't worry, no more anecdotes for you.

My commentary on Detroit real estate was not addressed to you in particular. There are other people here who might, or might not, be interested.

Actually when you look at the Case Shiller Graph for Las Vegas, 2010 prices equated to 2000. the bottom seemed to be early 2012. those prices equate to 96. Oh wait, are you posting another anecodotal story? speaking of anecdotal stories, you posted your anecdotal story about the bubble but you never actually said what the home price graph showed. Looking at the bubble states, when does it look like a ‘housing bubble’ started?

As far as Detroit goes, its too soon. Since it looks like Las Vegas has hit bottom (based on the graph not personal experience) you should buy properties in Vegas

Yes Vern. You have your graph and that's all you need.

Luckily I have more than the graph. didn't you notice any of the other links? have you not noticed my Bush Mortgage Bubble FAQ thread?
Don't worry, no more anecdotes for you.

Anecdotes have their place but not to dispute actual facts.
My commentary on Detroit real estate was not addressed to you in particular. There are other people here who might, or might not, be interested.

But I'm free to comment aren't I? I said its probably a little early. That and the advice about buying in LV was sincere.

Yes fenton, it passed committee. You simply cant wish away the fact that Bush was against any GSE regulation and Republican Leader Frist refused to allow a vote on it. Strange that you pretend not to know that.

oh and fenton, HR 1461 passed 331 to 90. can you put that into your pointless 50,000 word narrative?

:lamo:lamo:lamo

Of-course, you have something against my PROOF, and FACTS, and QUOTES, and VIDEO's VERN, because they crush your delicate little fairy world. I've never had a Liberal complain that my rebut's were too wordy and I honestly thought you were capable of reading on a 6th grade level. I guess I was wrong.

Bush against ANY GSE Regulation you say ?

April: The Administration's FY02 budget declares that the size of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is "a potential problem," because "financial trouble of a large GSE could cause strong repercussions in financial markets, affecting Federally insured entities and economic activity."

May: The President calls for the disclosure and corporate governance principles contained in his 10-point plan for corporate responsibility to apply to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. (OMB Prompt Letter to OFHEO, 5/29/02)

January: Freddie Mac announces it has to restate financial results for the previous three years.

February: The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO) releases a report explaining that "although investors perceive an implicit Federal guarantee of [GSE] obligations," "the government has provided no explicit legal backing for them." As a consequence, unexpected problems at a GSE could immediately spread into financial sectors beyond the housing market. ("Systemic Risk: Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Role of OFHEO," OFHEO Report, 2/4/03)

September: Fannie Mae discloses SEC investigation and acknowledges OFHEO's review found earnings manipulations.

September: Treasury Secretary John Snow testifies before the House Financial Services Committee to recommend that Congress enact "legislation to create a new Federal agency to regulate and supervise the financial activities of our housing-related government sponsored enterprises" and set prudent and appropriate minimum capital adequacy requirements.

October: Fannie Mae discloses $1.2 billion accounting error.

November: Council of the Economic Advisers (CEA) Chairman Greg Mankiw explains that any "legislation to reform GSE regulation should empower the new regulator with sufficient strength and credibility to reduce systemic risk." To reduce the potential for systemic instability, the regulator would have "broad authority to set both risk-based and minimum capital standards" and "receivership powers necessary to wind down the affairs of a troubled GSE." (N. Gregory Mankiw, Remarks At The Conference Of State Bank Supervisors State Banking Summit And Leadership, 11/6/03)

February: The President's FY05 Budget again highlights the risk posed by the explosive growth of the GSEs and their low levels of required capital, and called for creation of a new, world-class regulator: "The Administration has determined that the safety and soundness regulators of the housing GSEs lack sufficient power and stature to meet their responsibilities, and therefore…should be replaced with a new strengthened regulator." (2005 Budget Analytic Perspectives, pg. 83)

February: CEA Chairman Mankiw cautions Congress to "not take [the financial market's] strength for granted." Again, the call from the Administration was to reduce this risk by "ensuring that the housing GSEs are overseen by an effective regulator." (N. Gregory Mankiw, Op-Ed, "Keeping Fannie And Freddie's House In Order," Financial Times, 2/24/04)

June: Deputy Secretary of Treasury Samuel Bodman spotlights the risk posed by the GSEs and called for reform, saying "We do not have a world-class system of supervision of the housing government sponsored enterprises (GSEs), even though the importance of the housing financial system that the GSEs serve demands the best in supervision to ensure the long-term vitality of that system. Therefore, the Administration has called for a new, first class, regulatory supervisor for the three housing GSEs: Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the Federal Home Loan Banking System." (Samuel Bodman, House Financial Services Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations Testimony, 6/16/04)

April: Treasury Secretary John Snow repeats his call for GSE reform, saying "Events that have transpired since I testified before this Committee in 2003 reinforce concerns over the systemic risks posed by the GSEs and further highlight the need for real GSE reform to ensure that our housing finance system remains a strong and vibrant source of funding for expanding homeownership opportunities in America… Half-measures will only exacerbate the risks to our financial system." (Secretary John W. Snow, "Testimony Before The U.S. House Financial Services Committee," 4/13/05)

July: Two Bear Stearns hedge funds invested in mortgage securities collapse.

August: President Bush emphatically calls on Congress to pass a reform package for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, saying "first things first when it comes to those two institutions. Congress needs to get them reformed, get them streamlined, get them focused, and then I will consider other options." (President George W. Bush, Press Conference, The White House, 8/9/07)

September: RealtyTrac announces foreclosure filings up 243,000 in August – up 115 percent from the year before.

September: Single-family existing home sales decreases 7.5 percent from the previous month – the lowest level in nine years. Median sale price of existing homes fell six percent from the year before.

December: President Bush again warns Congress of the need to pass legislation reforming GSEs, saying "These institutions provide liquidity in the mortgage market that benefits millions of homeowners, and it is vital they operate safely and operate soundly. So I've called on Congress to pass legislation that strengthens independent regulation of the GSEs – and ensures they focus on their important housing mission. The GSE reform bill passed by the House earlier this year is a good start. But the Senate has not acted. And the United States Senate needs to pass this legislation soon." (President George W. Bush, Discusses Housing, The White House, 12/6/07)

January: Bank of America announces it will buy Countrywide.

January: Citigroup announces mortgage portfolio lost $18.1 billion in value.

February: Assistant Secretary David Nason reiterates the urgency of reforms, says "A new regulatory structure for the housing GSEs is essential if these entities are to continue to perform their public mission successfully." (David Nason, Testimony On Reforming GSE Regulation, Senate Committee On Banking, Housing And Urban Affairs, 2/7/08)

March: Bear Stearns announces it will sell itself to JPMorgan Chase.

March: President Bush calls on Congress to take action and "move forward with reforms on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. They need to continue to modernize the FHA, as well as allow State housing agencies to issue tax-free bonds to homeowners to refinance their mortgages." (President George W. Bush, Remarks To The Economic Club Of New York, New York, NY, 3/14/08)

April: President Bush urges Congress to pass the much needed legislation and "modernize Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. [There are] constructive things Congress can do that will encourage the housing market to correct quickly by … helping people stay in their homes." (President George W. Bush, Meeting With Cabinet, the White House, 4/14/08)

Congress needs to pass legislation to modernize the Federal Housing Administration, reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to ensure they focus on their housing mission, and allow State housing agencies to issue tax-free bonds to refinance subprime loans." (President George W. Bush, Radio Address, 5/31/08)

June: As foreclosure rates continued to rise in the first quarter, the President once again asks Congress to take the necessary measures to address this challenge, saying "we need to pass legislation to reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." (President George W. Bush, Remarks At Swearing In Ceremony For Secretary Of Housing And Urban Development, Washington, D.C., 6/6/08)

In black and white and RED Vern, what are you going to do ? Post the same old stupid links ? Another quote out of context ? a GRAPH with YOUR personal idiotic connections ?

I hear people like you like pictures...here's some "pictures of Democrats lying to Congress...Oh and I'm still waiting for you to post ONE Democrat initiative to address the mess they created in the 8 years Bush was in office.

Anecdotes can sometimes be more accurate than purported facts. Let me try to illustrate.

You say the time to buy in Las Vegas is now because your charts show the lows as being in 2012. The problem with charts vs. reality, is that many of these sales took a year or more to record. So, the actual bottom was in 2010 and 2011. By mid 2012, prices were already rising again. By 2013, asking prices were so accelerated that investors began dropping out of the market.

So, if you're an investor "on the ground", you actually see a different picture than those fact laden charts provide.

Now, Las Vegas real estate I know a lot about. That's my "job". The Las Vegas party is pretty much over for investors, although it's still an OK time to buy for personal use. Detroit, I know nothing about except the overall situation that anybody can read about in the paper. So, anyone interested will have to research and determine if they are at the bottom or not. It may be way too early or it may be just the right time. Maybe someone will let us know.

Anecdotes have their place but not to dispute actual facts.

But I'm free to comment aren't I? I said its probably a little early. That and the advice about buying in LV was sincere.

Anecdotes can sometimes be more accurate than purported facts. Let me try to illustrate.

You say the time to buy in Las Vegas is now because your charts show the lows as being in 2012. The problem with charts vs. reality, is that many of these sales took a year or more to record. So, the actual bottom was in 2010 and 2011. By mid 2012, prices were already rising again.

now you're disputing Case Shiller and OFHEO data? You've "illustrated it" (my choice of words is "flailed at it"). Now back it up.

speaking of flailing, maybe you can tell Fenton his irrelevant quotes don't change the facts.

Back
Top Bottom