• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brutal killing spotlights violence against women in Pakistan

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From The Seattle Times

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Noor Mukadam’s last hours were terror-filled. Beaten repeatedly, the 27-year-old jumped from a window but was dragged back, beaten again and finally beheaded. A childhood friend has been charged with her killing.

The gruesome death last week in an upscale neighborhood of the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, is the latest in a series of attacks on women in Pakistan, where rights activists say such gender-based assaults are on the rise as the country barrels toward greater religious extremism.

Mukadam was the daughter of a diplomat, and her status as a member of the country’s elite has shone a spotlight on the relentless and growing violence against women in Pakistan, said prominent rights activist Tahira Abdullah. But the majority of women who are victims of such violence are among the country’s poor and middle classes, and their deaths are often not reported or, when they are, often ignored.

“I could give you a list longer than my arm, only in one week” of attacks against women, said Abdullah. “The epidemic of sexual crimes and violence against women in Pakistan is a silent epidemic. No one sees it. No one is talking about it.”

Still, Pakistan’s Parliament this month failed to pass a bill that seeks to protect women from violence in the home, including attacks by a husband. Instead, it asked an Islamic ideology council to weigh in on the measure — the same council that previously said it was OK for a husband to beat his wife.

In 2020, Pakistan was near the bottom of the World Economic Forum’s global gender index, coming in at 153 of 156 countries, ahead of only Iraq, Yemen and Afghanistan, which held the last spot despite billions of dollars spent and 20 years of international attention on gender issues there.

COMMENT:-

But you do have to remember that Pakistan is "America's Best Friend" in "The War on Terror" and the Pakistani government -talks- takes an incredibly firm line against terrorism. There is absolutely no way that any "rational" person would believe those lies from that so-called "President Obama" that Osama bin Laden was found in Pakistan living only blocks from a police station. <SARC> Right?</SARC>

NOTE - The usage of the word "rational" may differ slightly from the normal usage.​

From The Seattle Times

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Noor Mukadam’s last hours were terror-filled. Beaten repeatedly, the 27-year-old jumped from a window but was dragged back, beaten again and finally beheaded. A childhood friend has been charged with her killing.

The gruesome death last week in an upscale neighborhood of the Pakistani capital, Islamabad, is the latest in a series of attacks on women in Pakistan, where rights activists say such gender-based assaults are on the rise as the country barrels toward greater religious extremism.

Mukadam was the daughter of a diplomat, and her status as a member of the country’s elite has shone a spotlight on the relentless and growing violence against women in Pakistan, said prominent rights activist Tahira Abdullah. But the majority of women who are victims of such violence are among the country’s poor and middle classes, and their deaths are often not reported or, when they are, often ignored.

“I could give you a list longer than my arm, only in one week” of attacks against women, said Abdullah. “The epidemic of sexual crimes and violence against women in Pakistan is a silent epidemic. No one sees it. No one is talking about it.”

Still, Pakistan’s Parliament this month failed to pass a bill that seeks to protect women from violence in the home, including attacks by a husband. Instead, it asked an Islamic ideology council to weigh in on the measure — the same council that previously said it was OK for a husband to beat his wife.

In 2020, Pakistan was near the bottom of the World Economic Forum’s global gender index, coming in at 153 of 156 countries, ahead of only Iraq, Yemen and Afghanistan, which held the last spot despite billions of dollars spent and 20 years of international attention on gender issues there.

COMMENT:-
But you do have to remember that Pakistan is "America's Best Friend" in "The War on Terror" and the Pakistani government -talks- takes an incredibly firm line against terrorism. There is absolutely no way that any "rational" person would believe those lies from that so-called "President Obama" that Osama bin Laden was found in Pakistan living only blocks from a police station. <SARC> Right?</SARC>
NOTE - The usage of the word "rational" may differ slightly from the normal usage.​

OK.

I dont think I'll be going to Pakistan.

Unless you’re going to travel to Pakistan and make Muhammad stop beating his wife there’s no point in getting worked up over issues you can’t control.

Unless you’re going to travel to Pakistan and make Muhammad stop beating his wife there’s no point in getting worked up over issues you can’t control.

So unless they are going to travel to those places and personally intervene with their governments, no one should be advocating that the US take any actions with respect to stopping what the government of the PRC is doing, or what the Syrian government is doing, or what the Yemani government is doing, or ...

RRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttttttt!

So unless they are going to travel to those places and personally intervene with their governments, no one should be advocating that the US take any actions with respect to stopping what the government of the PRC is doing, or what the Syrian government is doing, or what the Yemani government is doing, or ...

RRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhttttttttttttttttttttt!
It’s none of our damn business and we certainly don’t need a Canadian making demands of the United States. If you want to do something about it then lobby your own government. Maybe they’ll send in the Mounties to teach Muhammad a lesson. Or better yet we can just parachute you over Islamabad and you can do it yourself.

Not exactly "breaking news" that Pakistan is a shithole.

A few minor differences between the stories

[1] in yours the murder was in conjunction with a crime, and in the Pakistani case it wasn't;​
[2] in yours the police actually apprehended the culprit and he will likely be tried and convicted, in the Pakistani case that isn't the case;​
[3] in yours no one is coming forward to "justify" the killing, in the Pakistani case that isn't so;​
[4] in yours no one is claiming that their "Holy Book" allows for such actions, in the Pakistani case that isn't so;​
and​
[5] in yours the action was quite a bit outside of "community norms", in the Pakistani case it wasn't.​

But, once you overlook those "minor" differences, I guess that I have to agree with you that the United States of America actually accords women no better status than they are actually accorded in Pakistan.

It’s none of our damn business and we certainly don’t need a Canadian making demands of the United States. If you want to do something about it then lobby your own government. Maybe they’ll send in the Mounties to teach Muhammad a lesson. Or better yet we can just parachute you over Islamabad and you can do it yourself.

I guess that I really shouldn't have embarrassed you by pointing out the inherent level of moral uprightness of one of America's "Best Friends in the War on Terror" and highlighting the fact that, as far as the US government is concerned, the degree to which it is committed to "enhancing human rights" really depends on whether or not the nation violating the human rights that the US government says it supports is one of "OUR Guys" (who are allowed to commit the grossest human rights violations without eliciting a murmur of approbation from the US government) or one of "THEIR Guys" (who receive a reign of vitriolic denunciation upon even the merest whiff of a ghost of a hint of a rumour of a potential act that might theoretically resemble a violation of a human right).

Sorry about that.

PS - You might not have noticed that I did NOT make any "demands of the United States", I merely pointed out reality. If your guilty conscience led you to lash out because you knew that you (and the US government) should have been condemning the actions of the Pakistanis but didn't because their actions were dismissed as "none of our business" - that really isn't my fault.

Not exactly "breaking news" that Pakistan is a shithole.

How DARE you say that about one of America's best friends in the War on Terror - a country that has never been known to commit a single terrorist act, a country that has never been known to condone a single terrorist act, a country that has never been known to support a single terrorist organization, a country that had never been known to harbour a single terrorist, a country with a standard of living that is second to none?

I guess that I really shouldn't have embarrassed you by pointing out the inherent level of moral uprightness of one of America's "Best Friends in the War on Terror" and highlighting the fact that, as far as the US government is concerned, the degree to which it is committed to "enhancing human rights" really depends on whether or not the nation violating the human rights that the US government says it supports is one of "OUR Guys" (who are allowed to commit the grossest human rights violations without eliciting a murmur of approbation from the US government) or one of "THEIR Guys" (who receive a reign of vitriolic denunciation upon even the merest whiff of a ghost of a hint of a rumour of a potential act that might theoretically resemble a violation of a human right).

Sorry about that.

PS - You might not have noticed that I did NOT make any "demands of the United States", I merely pointed out reality. If your guilty conscience led you to lash out because you knew that you (and the US government) should have been condemning the actions of the Pakistanis but didn't because their actions were dismissed as "none of our business" - that really isn't my fault.
The actions of the Pakistani government in domestic affairs are not my concern. And they aren’t Canada’s either. Moral uprightness is worthless coming a from a country that never does anything in the world unless the US tugs at its leash. Yeah, thanks for digging wells in Afghanistan. Appreciate it.

The actions of the Pakistani government in domestic affairs are not my concern. And they aren’t Canada’s either. Moral uprightness is worthless coming a from a country that never does anything in the world unless the US tugs at its leash. Yeah, thanks for digging wells in Afghanistan. Appreciate it.

Thank you, again, for demonstrating the failings of the American public school system.

How DARE you say that about one of America's best friends in the War on Terror
Friends? Piffle.

Letting the Taliban hide on their side of the border to do cross-border hits in Afghanistan. And Bin Laden...you cannot tell me that they were unaware that the world's most wanted man was in a house 5 miles from one of their military bases!

How DARE you say that about one of America's best friends in the War on Terror - a country that has never been known to commit a single terrorist act, a country that has never been known to condone a single terrorist act, a country that has never been known to support a single terrorist organization, a country that had never been known to harbour a single terrorist, a country with a standard of living that is second to none?
You forgot to mention that Pakistan is surely NOT the world’s greatest proliferator of nuclear weapons technologies.

Coming from the guy who was absolutely outraged over a beer can being tossed at an MP’s jeep(more than sixty years ago).....that’s a laugh.

Back
Top Bottom