• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brush off for official haircuts (Iran)

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Brush off for official haircuts - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

The men and boys frequenting the barbershops of Tehran have plenty of ideas about how their hair should look. Many prefer the latest styles from the United States and Europe.

But the Islamic Republic of Iran recently issued a booklet of government-approved haircuts for men in an attempt to turn them away from Western cuts.

Sounds like the Iranian government hasnt exactly won back it's citizen's support

they're just acting like a communist state more and more. no wonder why many are leaving the country.

they're just acting like a communist state more and more. no wonder why many are leaving the country.

Which communist state operated an approved list of haircuts? They're acting a bit like Catholic states. Until very recently here in Spain you were not permitted to register a new born baby with any name that did not appear on a Catholic Church-approved list of acceptable names. Those names were all Catholic and all Castilian.

Which communist state operated an approved list of haircuts? They're acting a bit like Catholic states. Until very recently here in Spain you were not permitted to register a new born baby with any name that did not appear on a Catholic Church-approved list of acceptable names. Those names were all Catholic and all Castilian.

that's interesting. I wasn't aware of that. any source for further reading?

that's interesting. I wasn't aware of that. any source for further reading?

Er, no, but I'll look into it. I learned of this practice from my boss at work, an Englishwoman who has lived here since 1962 and who wanted to register her son with a traditional English, non-catholic name and was not permitted to do so. I'm sure documentary evidence exists, though. I shall see if I can find it.

Er, no, but I'll look into it. I learned of this practice from my boss at work, an Englishwoman who has lived here since 1962 and who wanted to register her son with a traditional English, non-catholic name and was not permitted to do so. I'm sure documentary evidence exists, though. I shall see if I can find it.
seems that it was kinda like Iran today.

Catholicism in its most conservative variant was made the official religion of the Spanish State, which enforced Catholic social mores. The remaining nomads of Spain (Gitanos and Mercheros like El Lute) were especially affected. The Spanish State enforced Catholic behavior mainly by using a law (the Ley de Vagos y Maleantes, Vagrancy Act) enacted by Azaña[18]. Civil servants had to be Catholic, and some official jobs even required a "good behavior" statement by a priest. Civil marriages which had taken place under Republican Spain were declared null and void and had to be reconfirmed by the Catholic Church of Spain. Civil marriages were only possible after the couple made a public renunciation to the Catholic Church. Divorce, contraceptives and abortion were forbidden. From 1954 onwards, homosexuality, pedophilia, and prostitution were criminal offenses[19], although the enforcement of this was seldom consistent.

Spanish State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

seems that it was kinda like Iran today.

Spanish State - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the earlier days of the Francoist regime, 1939-1955(ish), it was a very unpleasant, dictatorial and theocratic state, one that the Catholic heirarchy lauded and supported wholeheartedly. There were parallels to be drawn with the post-revolutionary Iran; summary justice, extra-judicial killings and endemic corruption which Spain still struggles to control. The big difference was that Spain was never seen as an international pariah state subject to boycotts and embargoes, as Iran does suffer nowadays, and rightly so.

Back
Top Bottom