• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brittney Griner, Should She Get Special Consideration?

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
As expected, some athletes are spouting dissatisfaction with Biden on the Griner imprisonment in Russia. Why? She tried to smuggle eight vials of hash oil. This proves she has little regard for laws in all countries. Also, it proves she is a drug user if not a seller. If she thinks she deserves special consideration I hope she discovers otherwise. I cannot see us giving up a Russian gun runner in order to set her free. The percentage of cases tried resulting in a finding of innocent in Russia is less than one percent.

As expected, some athletes are spouting dissatisfaction with Biden on the Griner imprisonment in Russia. Why? She tried to smuggle eight vials of hash oil. This proves she has little regard for laws in all countries. Also, it proves she is a drug user if not a seller. If she thinks she deserves special consideration I hope she discovers otherwise. I cannot see us giving up a Russian gun runner in order to set her free. The percentage of cases tried resulting in a finding of innocent in Russia is less than one percent.
Well, she's dumber than a box of rocks for doing something she should have known better about. Especially in a country that looks to use prominent people who slip up in a political way. Falls under the category of know where you are and know your audience.

With that said, Russia will use any bargaining chip they can. Unfortunately for Griner is that the current time we are in no one wants to be seen as giving an inch to them. So, I imagine her Russian will be better by the time this is all said and done.

The question is did she enter a false confession?

She lied, she said she didn't know, but really, she was there to sell it?

Brittney Griner pleaded guilty last week.

The US government may try a "bundle-swap" for the approximately 15 Americans imprisoned in Russia for Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout (25 years) and Russian drug smuggler Konstantin Yaroshenko (deteriorating health / 20 years).

The Russian original source Interfax reported "vapes" in Ms. Griner's luggage, but did not specify how many or the net weight.

No idea how true the hash oil crap is, but why is it the government's job to bail her out when she went there to play for a russian team for lots of money by her own choice at a time when everyone was being warned not to go?

No. No special consideration.

Then we make it plain to our people that if you go to Russia, you're on your own. No assistance will be forthcoming.

There is no reason why any American should ever go to Russia.

No special consideration. However all Americans in a troubled position overseas need whatever help the country can do. Our State Dept should be on top of these things. All that said, Grinder ignore the facts of life and law in Russia. She also took an embarrassing stance against the nation by kneeling during the national anthem and now is asking for that nations help. When you speak out agains the nation you should always remember that at some point you may need them. I hope things work out in her favor and that when she gets home she has a different outlook about this country.

We should always work to get our citizens back from unjust systems in other governments. I don't consider that special treatment. She should be seen as no different than any other US citizen in similar situations.

No. No special consideration.

Then we make it plain to our people that if you go to Russia, you're on your own. No assistance will be forthcoming.

There is no reason why any American should ever go to Russia.

Not really true. Diplomacy, historical research, etc.

What LeBron James said is this regard is totally disgusting.

He makes 50 million a year, is idolized by black and white Americans alike but tries to turn this into a black persecution.

LeBron is a totally aweful human.

Possession of 0.2 grams of cannabis oil means she sells drugs?

If the Russian justice system gives her anything other than a fine and time served, then this is clearly a politically motivated prosecution.

If the Russian justice system gives her anything other than a fine and time served, then this is clearly a politically motivated prosecution.
She is apparently stupid or thinks she is special if she had drugs in Russia.

I wonder how the media would have treated this case if Griner has been arrested in Singapore, which has notoriously tough drug laws.

Reviewing Russian trial sources, Brittney Griner had a valid US prescription for medical marijuana and had 0.702 grams of cannabis oil in her luggage when she was arrested at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo International Airport a week before Russia’s Feb. 24 invasion of Ukraine. Her Russian lawyers read a medical certificate indicating that Griner was prescribed medical cannabis by U.S. doctors as a part of treatment for chronic pain and other conditions. She was also tested for drugs in her system and the test came up negative. In a US state with legal medical marijuana and a valid prescription, no arrest would have taken place. Under federal drug laws, 0.702 grams of cannabis oil with no intent to distribute would get someone 1 year in prison or a $1,000 fine. In Russia, Ms. Griner faces a 10 year sentence. Her next trial date is July 15.

The Russian women's basketball team UMMC Yekaterinburg testified on Ms. Griner's behalf. Article in English.....

Because of the disparities in pay between NBA and WNBA players, most WNBA players play overseas during the WNBA offseason. The salaries for women basketball players is much higher in Europe, Russia, China, etc. There is a team cap on WNBA salaries. A maximum of $1,390,326 and a minimum of $1,154,340 to be divvied up between 11 players. The highest allowed salary on a team is $228,000. This is couch change for most NBA players. So if the star player on a WNBA team earns the maximum $228,000, this leaves a maximum of $1,162,326 for the remaining 10 players. The team minimum for any player with 3+ years in the league is $72,141. The team minimum for players with 0-2 years is $60,471. With a 1st round draft pick making the team every year (with a league set salary) turnover on WNBA teams is constant as General Managers are squeezed between putting a winning team on the floor and making improving players happy salary-wise under the caps. This is why it is very difficult to win back to back chamopionships in the WNBA. The last WNBA team to accomplish this was the 2001/2002 Los Angeles Sparks. The Chicago Sky now have a very good chance of winning back to back WNBA titles 2021/2022.

Russia doesn't care much for the LGBT community either.

Reactions: lwf
Russia doesn't care much for the LGBT community either.

No. The Russian Orthodox Church is quite illiberal and is closely aligned with the homophobic Putin regime.

They also put women "in their place". In 2019, with the church's heavy influence, the Russian government decriminalized domestic/sexual abuse.

No. The Russian Orthodox Church is quite illiberal and is closely aligned with the homophobic Putin regime.

They also put women "in their place". In 2019, with the church's heavy influence, the Russian government decriminalized domestic/sexual abuse.
Isn't that what I said?

It would have been wise had she informed herself of Russian rules and regulations. I haven't really paid much attention as of late, but a quick glance at the regulation even within the US, it seems you need to be on informed and prepared when traveling.

Under federal law, marijuana that has a THC content higher than .3% is categorized as a “Schedule I” substance, and is illegal to possess, use, grow, or distribute. Taking marijuana across state borders is considered a federal crime.

Cannabis flower, infused products, and some CBD products are illegal to possess on federal property, during air transportation, or when traveling from state to state. Only products with up to .3% THC on a “dry weight basis” are permitted, as noted by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

It is a factor in sentencing.

Perhaps, and may be used as the basis for a plea bargain, but with a guilty plea is there really an expectation that the judge will agree with it?

Perhaps, and may be used as the basis for a plea bargain, but with a guilty plea is there really an expectation that the judge will agree with it?
I would call it a hope rather than an expectation. Though, a sentence of jail time is excessive, even though I have no frame of reference for Russian law. She had less than a gram of THC oil left over in a vape pen in her luggage. Obviously there's no intent to distribute here. It's not like she was intentionally smuggling narcotics into the country. This was a careless mistake that anyone could have made. If the judge imprisons her, it will be an unjust imprisonment for political leverage.

Back
Top Bottom