• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

brothern

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Link: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

Huffington Post said:
Brittany Maynard, the Oregon woman who had become an outspoken advocate for patient's rights following her terminal cancer diagnosis, died on Saturday, the Oregonian reported. She was 29.

"Goodbye to all my dear friends and family that I love," she wrote in a Facebook post, according to People. "Today is the day I have chosen to pass away with dignity in the face of my terminal illness... the world is a beautiful place, travel has been my greatest teacher, my close friends and folks are the greatest givers... goodbye world. Spread good energy. Pay it forward!"

Earlier this year, Maynard learned that she was suffering from an aggressive form of brain cancer called glioblastoma and had only six months to live. After hearing what the disease would to her body in its final stages, she decided that she wanted to die on her own terms.

It also reported that she had decided to delay her passing based upon this video (I have it below) released Wednesday. However it sounds like Maynard passed away yesterday, which was not reported until a few hours ago today. Her obit is posted here as well.

If you are curious, usually in cases like this, a person breathes in an inert gas like helium or nitrogen, which puts the person to sleep very quickly and painlessly. I am very relieved for Maynard that she was able to pass away on her own terms. Hopefully one day we will be able to fight brain cancers without (as she had done) having to resort to drastic measures such as cutting out the cancerous parts of the brain. When faced with such horrific medical procedures and a resulting slow, painful decline in health; my heart absolutely goes out to all those that find themselves in such a situation.

Here's to Brittany Maynard. Rest in peace.

Last edited:
Link: Brittany Maynard, Death With Dignity Advocate, Dies At 29

It also reported that she had decided to delay her passing based upon this video (I have it below) released Wednesday. However it sounds like Maynard passed away yesterday, which was not reported until a few hours ago today. Her obit is posted here as well.

If you are curious, usually in cases like this, a person breathes in an inert gas like helium or nitrogen, which puts the to sleep very quickly and painlessly. I am very relieved for Maynard that she was able to pass away on her own terms. Hopefully one day we will be able to fight brain cancers without (as she had done) having to resort to drastic measures such as cutting out the cancerous parts of the brain. When faced with such horrific medical procedures and a resulting slow, painful decline in health; my heart absolutely goes out to all those that find themselves in such a situation.

Here's to Brittany Maynard. Rest in peace.

I have nothing to add, but for my respect for someone who spends their final days fighting for a cause -- especially one most of us don't consider until it comes for us and ours.

I'm glad she was able to make the choice to avoid the pain, suffering and mental anguish that her cancer would most definitely bring her should she had not made this choice.

I feel she was a brave woman. I wish her eternal peace. I also wish her loved ones peace and solace in the knowledge that she is now at rest and will suffer no more.

I can't criticize her or her decision. Watching her in the video and hearing about what she went through, I can't imagine how frightening her struggle was. Not being able to talk, unable remember people's names, having painful seizures, etc., and knowing it would get worse and worse and more painful. It would be horrifying to deal with. My heart goes out to her and her family. I cannot imagine the struggles and worries she was facing. I pray she is at peace now.

That is a tough one to read. My heart goes to her family and loved ones.

I had a 56 yr old female cousin die of bladder and liver cancer 4 weeks ago. She went through different chemo therapies and from diagnosis to death lived 12 months.
The chemo undoubtedly gave her more time. But during the last months of that time she had a urostomy and a colonostomy. At the end it was just a waiting game. She stopped eating then stopped drinking water. Everyone just had to do their best to keep her comfortable as possible.

Am certain there are worst deaths such as dying in a fire. But this slow gradual loss of life is so harsh. She doesn't have to suffer any longer and for that I am thankful.

I am inclined to feel that fighting until the last is the braver choice than this, especially when one knows that it is a losing fight. It was her life to do with as she so chose, but I do not see anything especially commendable about her decision.

I am inclined to feel that fighting until the last is the braver choice than this, especially when one knows that it is a losing fight. It was her life to do with as she so chose, but I do not see anything especially commendable about her decision.

This has nothing to do with a brave choice, it is the humane choice. It is the intelligent choice because suffering a horrendous death should not be the norm if you can choose to go out with dignity. She was a brave and courageous woman and as you quite rightly said it is her choice and I think it very commendable for her to fight for allowing people to die with a modicum of dignity.

What's brave about suffering for no gain?

Bless her. I would have done the same thing. I have tears in my eyes. My pastor condemed this. **** him. Im just sorry to lose a beautiful heart.

by doing it the way she did it, she raised awareness about the issue. in a lot of states, what she is doing is illegal. the way that gets changed is by stuff like this.

it sucks, though. 29. no one should have to die that young.

She died on her terms. Not many of will get to do that. I can't imagine the choices she faced. I just hope if I am a family member of someone in this position that I have the courage to support them instead of being selfish and demanding they suffer for me.

My heart goes out to her family and friends. Hopefully they are proud of her for the decision she made rather than full of resent like so many tend to be in situations like that.

Her life was spent pushing a cause and she ultimately ended up dying for it. That's the best way to die, even if it was far too young.

My heart goes out to her family and friends. Hopefully they are proud of her for the decision she made rather than full of resent like so many tend to be in situations like that.

Her life was spent pushing a cause and she ultimately ended up dying for it. That's the best way to die, even if it was far too young.

This-------^ Well said, Kitty.

by doing it the way she did it, she raised awareness about the issue. in a lot of states, what she is doing is illegal. the way that gets changed is by stuff like this.

it sucks, though. 29. no one should have to die that young.

Last year (I think) I watched a Dutch documentary called "nachtvlinder" (moth) about a young 25 year old woman who was suffering from the same genetic disease that killed her mother in a horrific way. Her mother had to endure great pain and loss of humanity/dignity in the end. Priscilla, the subject of the movie is already suffering from the onset of the disease and has a lot of pain and problems but is choosing to get out of dying horrendously by voluntarily ending her life.

She celebrated her 25th birthday on the night before she ended her life, she had one last night of living how she had lived when she was a teenager, she lived her last day of living to the fullest and then ended her life before she got to the same point as her mother had gotten too.

There is no need to end your life with no dignity if you have the choice to end it on your terms if your health is so poor that surviving is no longer an option.

While ending one's life is never a decision to be taken likely, it is a decision every adult should be allowed to make. I am happy this young woman was able to end it on her terms.

It is commendable because she spared her family years of suffering watching her wither away. They can now remember her as young, beautiful, and strong.

Bless her. I would have done the same thing. I have tears in my eyes. My pastor condemed this. **** him. Im just sorry to lose a beautiful heart.

I will never understand the so-called Christian fear of death.

Well, this is Part 2 of the story. This first part was shortly after Maynard was diagnosed in January, when doctors cut open her skull and surgically removed the cancerous portions of her brain. It obviously returned within a couple months. Outside of that, there were no other options for her. It was limited to euthanasia or painfully dying from the cancer consuming her brain from the inside out. I wouldn't even think to consider to think of the latter option as bravery. More along the lines to sheer horror.

I'm so sad she's gone and my deepest sympathy for Brittany's family. As sad as it was, I also sympathize and support her right to make that choice. She was very brave not to wait until after she lost autonomy and could no longer make that choice.

I will never understand the so-called Christian fear of death.

Christian fear of death? I don't think so.

What tragedy for this woman, family, and friends.
She is in a far better place now.

Well, this is Part 2 of the story. This first part was shortly after Maynard was diagnosed in January, when doctors cut open her skull and surgically removed the cancerous portions of her brain. It obviously returned within a couple months. Outside of that, there were no other options for her. It was limited to euthanasia or painfully dying from the cancer consuming her brain from the inside out. I wouldn't even think to consider to think of the latter option as bravery. More along the lines to sheer horror.

So to you bravery is the least painful option. Well that is one perspective on the meaning of the word I suppose.

It is commendable because she spared her family years of suffering watching her wither away. They can now remember her as young, beautiful, and strong.

Se had less than a year to live, so your premise is flawed.

Last year (I think) I watched a Dutch documentary called "nachtvlinder" (moth) about a young 25 year old woman who was suffering from the same genetic disease that killed her mother in a horrific way. Her mother had to endure great pain and loss of humanity/dignity in the end. Priscilla, the subject of the movie is already suffering from the onset of the disease and has a lot of pain and problems but is choosing to get out of dying horrendously by voluntarily ending her life.

She celebrated her 25th birthday on the night before she ended her life, she had one last night of living how she had lived when she was a teenager, she lived her last day of living to the fullest and then ended her life before she got to the same point as her mother had gotten too.

There is no need to end your life with no dignity if you have the choice to end it on your terms if your health is so poor that surviving is no longer an option.

like i said, i just hate that some people have to do that, especially kids in their 20s. but if my pup was suffering horribly, i wouldn't make her go through that. i see no reason not to extend that same option to people.

like i said, i just hate that some people have to do that, especially kids in their 20s. but if my pup was suffering horribly, i wouldn't make her go through that. i see no reason not to extend that same option to people.

When we euthanize a suffering dog than this is called humane but when a human wants the right to end their own life some people call that inhumane and degrading human value. Then I think what the hell? How on earth is that inhumane when someone wants to die on their own terms (within reason).

I live in a country where euthanasia is available for all people, even youths who are old enough to make such decisions and even babies who are suffering horrendously.

Christian fear of death? I don't think so.

Well, maybe not when it comes to bombing brown people. Otherwise they are extremely outspoken about people's choices to live or die.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom