• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Britons are paying 54% more for their energy starting now

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

Congrats, Brits. You fully embraced the moronic green energy utopia that the eco nuts sold on you because of your misguided fears over the climate change scam.

Reap what you sow and sew what you rip. Enjoy your super high energy bills, mates. :LOL:

Congrats, Brits. You fully embraced the moronic green energy utopia that the eco nuts sold on you because of your misguided fears over the climate change scam.

Reap what you sow and sew what you rip. Enjoy your super high energy bills, mates. :LOL:
If Britain had embraced green energy they wouldn't be in the mess they're in now because they'd be far less dependent on gas and oil.

Your hate has clouded your thinking to an Orwellian degree.

AGW, efforts to combat AGW, and Russia's War of aggression against Ukraine are different things. It can be hard to understand.

If Britain had embraced green energy they wouldn't be in the mess they're in now because they'd be far less dependent on gas and oil. Your hate has clouded your thinking to an Orwellian degree.

shhhh. The thread will be better if he doesn't realize his premise defeats the point he attempts to base on it.

Last edited:
If Britain had embraced green energy they wouldn't be in the mess they're in now because they'd be far less dependent on gas and oil.

LOL wrong. The reason why the UK is in this mess is because they did exactly that. They stopped investing in oil and gas and instead moved to solar and wind farms, but it couldnt cope so they became dependent on importing gas and oil to make up for the shortfall.

Read up on the UK government's net zero plan and educate yourself.

AGW, efforts to combat AGW, and Russia's War of aggression against Ukraine are different things. It can be hard to understand.

shhhh. The thread will be better if he doesn't realize his premise defeats the point he attempts to base it on.
LOL the usual word salad of someone who has no idea whats being discussed. Keep up the bad work. :ROFLMAO:

Can you tell me how the increased price that they are going to have to pay in the UK for oil and natural gas in the US (because their supply of low priced fuel is being choked off by the actions of the US government [actions which are NOT coupled with any indication that the US government is going to replace that fuel AND, even if it did, that it would replace it with fuel of the same price]) has anything whatsoever to do with "green energy"?

PS - Did you know that, at the current rates of extraction, the UK will have exhausted its proven and probable (2P) oil reserves by the end of 2030? Sooner if those 2P reserves simply aren't there? (The UK will exhaust its proven and probable oil reserves sooner if the rate of extraction increases.)

Last edited:
*fossil fuel prices skyrocket*

*bang*

"Why would solar panels do this?"

Wrong. The problem is they didn't consider the consequences of not being energy dependent. Most of the EU except maybe France will suffer the arrogance of the EU butting in to the popular uprising of the ethnic Russians in Ukraine.

Reactions: PoS
How so? Looks like it's the war, gas, and oil. Just like it's always been.
Could you clarify?
Wrong. The UK stopped investing in oil and gas because they tried to move to green energy, but wind and solar couldnt handle the baseload. So now they have to import gas... from Russia. Exact same thing happened in Germany.

Can you tell me how the increased price that they are going to have to pay in the UK for oil and natural gas in the US (because their supply of low priced fuel is being choked off by the actions of the US government [actions which are NOT coupled with any indication that the US government is going to replace that fuel AND, even if it did, that it would replace it with fuel of the same price]) has anything whatsoever to do with "green energy"?
Read my replies above. Im not going to keep repeating for those that cant figure out the obvious.

PS - Did you know that, at the current rates of extraction, the UK will have exhausted its proven and probable (2P) oil reserves by the end of 2030? Sooner if those 2P reserves simply aren't there? (The UK will exhaust its proven and probable oil reserves sooner if the rate of extraction increases.)

Because they stopped investing in oil and gas and instead placed all their best on wind and solar, but those things arent delivering.

*fossil fuel prices skyrocket*

*bang*

"Why would solar panels do this?"
LOL another clueless post.

Does the sun shine at night?

What do youn think they could do more than they already do? Hydroelectic production is maxxed out. Solar is likely as close to tapped as they can get. On and Off shore wind generation is about as much as its going to be...and the bioenergy programs are at a max considering the need to still provide biological food generation.

Wrong. The problem is they didn't consider the consequences of not being energy dependent. Most of the EU except maybe France will suffer the arrogance of the EU butting in to the popular uprising of the ethnic Russians in Ukraine.

I think that the invasion of Ukraine by Russia is a bit broader than the pretext of a popular uprising by the ethnic Russians in the Sudetenland.

What do youn think they could do more than they already do? Hydroelectic production is maxxed out. Solar is likely as close to tapped as they can get. On and Off shore wind generation is about as much as its going to be...and the bioenergy programs are at a max considering the need to still provide biological food generation.

Is solar truly as tapped as it can be? I doubt that claim. Even for England and the UK there's a lot more solar installation that can happen, and yes, even in a cloudy rainy area solar can be quite effective.

It's not going to be easy to move over to green energy, there will be no single source of energy but rather a basket of different energy sources. But the change needs to happen. Switching from a polluting and climactically dangerous energy source has got to be a priority if we want to play the long-game on our collective ways of life.

Wrong. The UK stopped investing in oil and gas because they tried to move to green energy, but wind and solar couldnt handle the baseload. So now they have to import gas... from Russia. Exact same thing happened in Germany.
Well that's what your link said, and why I asked you to clarify. No reason to have a chip on your shoulder. I can see you're very passionate about the subject. Do you live in the UK?

I believe that is why humans invented batteries.
Batteries would need to be on such a massive scale to allow the ~ 10 hours a day of good sunlight solar to cover
the 24 hour cycle. A normal home would require about twice the solar capacity and up to 3 Tesla Power walls to do this.
On a grid scale that would be more batteries than have ever been produced.
The real storage demand, is the capability to move energy seasonally, from say Fall Surplus, to Winter Demand.

Why do right wingers talk about solar power as though someone is suggesting it be the only energy source humanity ever uses?

Furthermore, why do they act like the existence of nighttime is some new discovery? LOL!

I can't see into the soul of any other poster, but i do know my own thoughts on this.

I have recently performed a cost-benefit analysis regarding the purchase of buying an EV or an ICE vehicle.

The basic question is this: Should i buy an EV to avoid paying more at the pump or keep my Prius and continue buying gas?

An EV that is livable would cost about $55,000. A tank of gas for the Prius, EVEN AT today's pricing, casts about $30.00. We fill up about once every two weeks to a month. Let's use two weeks.

$55,000 divided by $30.00 = 1,833 fill ups. 1,833 fill ups divided by 26 weeks = 70 years. $55,000 buys a lot of gas.

The moronic AOC style idiots who suggest that higher gas prices can be solved by buying EV's are moronic idiots.

Why do right wingers talk about solar power as though someone is suggesting it be the only energy source humanity ever uses?

Furthermore, why do they act like the existence of nighttime is some new discovery? LOL!
I take it you don't follow the logic.

Speaking for myself, I see wind as too inconsistent, bird choppers, and ecologically bad. I see solar as the only viable power than can be used just about anywhere. The "night" issue is acknowledging that solar sells need light. This mean we need some method of storing power in such a manner that we always have the energy when need, on demand, any time of day or year.

The power storage becomes rather expensive to add.

UK could have done like Norway and nationalize their oil and gas reservs so that the huge profits from the high oil prices went back to the people.

There Norway is also investing in a transition away from fossil fuels.

Another missed opportunity is that UK have failed to invest in insulation of homes and other energy saving measures as well as alternatives way to heat homes, that could have drastically reduce the energy cost for families.

There are great opportunities to build out both wind power, solar power and other forms of renewable energy all across the world.

Read my replies above. Im not going to keep repeating for those that cant figure out the obvious.

Because they stopped investing in oil and gas and instead placed all their best on wind and solar, but those things arent delivering.

LOL another clueless post.

Does the sun shine at night?
Someplace around 2030 the UK is going to simply run out of oil (it'll have enough coal to get by on for a while past that point).

Your position would probably make a whole lot of sense if the only thing that anyone had to do in order to extract crude oil was drill a hole. Unfortunately drilling a hole where there isn't any crude oil to be extracted doesn't actually do anything to increase the amount of crude oil extracted.

Once the UK runs out of oil to extract, then it will have to resort to "Green Energy" (and will also likely see a rather massive population exodus since it won't have enough energy available domestically to keep its industries operational [or its homes heated in the wintertime for that matter]).

There are great opportunities to build out both wind power, solar power and other forms of renewable energy all across the world.

And yet, to avoid shortgaes they have retruned back to coal useage...because the 'potential' isnt filling the order.

Well that's what your link said, and why I asked you to clarify. No reason to have a chip on your shoulder. I can see you're very passionate about the subject. Do you live in the UK?
Nope, I dont.

UK could have done like Norway and nationalize their oil and gas reservs so that the huge profits from the high oil prices went back to the people.

There Norway is also investing in a transition away from fossil fuels.

Another missed opportunity is that UK have failed to invest in insulation of homes and other energy saving measures as well as alternatives way to heat homes, that could have drastically reduce the energy cost for families.

I thought you hated oil and gas. Now you want to nationalize them?
Someplace around 2030 the UK is going to simply run out of oil (it'll have enough coal to get by on for a while past that point).

Your position would probably make a whole lot of sense if the only thing that anyone had to do in order to extract crude oil was drill a hole. Unfortunately drilling a hole where there isn't any crude oil to be extracted doesn't actually do anything to increase the amount of crude oil extracted.

Once the UK runs out of oil to extract, then it will have to resort to "Green Energy" (and will also likely see a rather massive population exodus since it won't have enough energy available domestically to keep its industries operational [or its homes heated in the wintertime for that matter]).

The only reason why the UK is running out of oil and gas is because they dont want to invest in the infrastructure to improve production and find more oil and gas fields. Its a self inflicted wound.

And yet, to avoid shortgaes they have retruned back to coal useage...because the 'potential' isnt filling the order.

For example Germany gets 54 percent of their electricity from renewable energy. While yes you have seen some increase in coal use now because gas have become so much more expensive. That is shows how volatile the global fossil fuel market is and it have before been for example the 70's oil crisis, the Gulf war, 9/11 and the Iraq war.

There the transiton towards renewable energy could have come a lot further and the dependency on fossil fuels and brutal dictatorships could have been a lot less, if not powerful economical interests had spent so much money on delaying the transition.

Russia financed European green parties because their policies would raise the price of energy, benefitting Putin.

Back
Top Bottom