• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Britons are paying 54% more for their energy starting now

Congrats, Brits. You fully embraced the moronic green energy utopia that the eco nuts sold on you because of your misguided fears over the climate change scam.

Reap what you sow and sew what you rip. Enjoy your super high energy bills, mates. :LOL:

This has sod all to do with green energy.
The problem here is that it's almost impossible to get planning permission for new power stations no matter what the fuel source because of NIMBY's.
The UK is starting to build stations that convert rubbish into electricity but getting planning permission for a gas power station is so hard and takes decades so that most companies decide it's not worth the bother.
Even new nuclear plants take decades to get permission to build and are only now finally in the final leg of being built and new plants being given the go-ahead.

We also have just as many NIMBY's for green energy as fossil fuels.
Where I live we have a wind farm with 10 turbines out in farm fields and the arguments about that were bloody crazy.
People were saying it would be noisy and there are public footpaths that go directly underneath them and I can barely hear them even then.

Seriously, the planning system for power stations in the UK is a bloody legal and political nightmare that has bugger all to do with climate change.
I honestly fear for the sanity of some of the developers given the amount of time they must spend banging their heads against a wall.

The UK also has The North Sea which has produced quite a bit of oil and gas over the decades and continues to do so.

Nope, I dont.

I thought you hated oil and gas. Now you want to nationalize them?

The only reason why the UK is running out of oil and gas is because they dont want to invest in the infrastructure to improve production and find more oil and gas fields. Its a self inflicted wound.
I don't live in Norway, or the UK. Do you?

If you live in America as I do, then why make the stretch, and find foreign reasons to bash progressives? Run out of American material?

Did you read the article you posted? Any of them?

The UK is pretty well explored as far as oil and gas production sites are concerned.
There have been a few new fields discovered in the last 5 years or so but nothing major.

The area has been explored for 75 years so finding a massive new deposit now is rather unlikely.

This has sod all to do with green energy.
The problem here is that it's almost impossible to get planning permission for new power stations no matter what the fuel source because of NIMBY's.
The UK is starting to build stations that convert rubbish into electricity but getting planning permission for a gas power station is so hard and takes decades so that most companies decide it's not worth the bother.
Even new nuclear plants take decades to get permission to build and are only now finally in the final leg of being built and new plants being given the go-ahead.

We also have just as many NIMBY's for green energy as fossil fuels.
Where I live we have a wind farm with 10 turbines out in farm fields and the arguments about that were bloody crazy.
People were saying it would be noisy and there are public footpaths that go directly underneath them and I can barely hear them even then.

Seriously, the planning system for power stations in the UK is a bloody legal and political nightmare that has bugger all to do with climate change.
I honestly fear for the sanity of some of the developers given the amount of time they must spend banging their heads against a wall.
And yet North Sea oil and gas investment has dwindled because of your government's net zero policies. So yes, it has a lot to do with green energy.

For example Germany gets 54 percent of their electricity from renewable energy.
And theyre paying one of the highest electricty bills in Europe because of that. Cutting off Russian gas makes it even worse. Good job on showing that green energy doesnt work.

I don't live in Norway, or the UK. Do you?

If you live in America as I do, then why make the stretch, and find foreign reasons to bash progressives? Run out of American material?

Did you read the article you posted? Any of them?
I read more than you do.

If governments and people make stupid decisions, they deserve to get bashed.

The UK is pretty well explored as far as oil and gas production sites are concerned.
There have been a few new fields discovered in the last 5 years or so but nothing major.

The area has been explored for 75 years so finding a massive new deposit now is rather unlikely.
How do you know? Theyve found a new field as recently as 2019.

And yet North Sea oil and gas investment has dwindled because of your government's net zero policies. So yes, it has a lot to do with green energy.

And theyre paying one of the highest electricty bills in Europe because of that. Cutting off Russian gas makes it even worse. Good job on showing that green energy doesnt work.
I read more than you do.

If governments and people make stupid decisions, they deserve to get bashed.

How do you know? Theyve found a new field as recently as 2019.

The North Sea is invested in by private companies, not the UK government.
They have dropped investment because the fields are naturally coming to an end of life.
This may shock you but oil fields don't last forever and we got most production between 1970 and 2000.

The UK can't count on the North Sea oil and gas forever but we can count on the place being windy unless the climate gets completely screwed and the jetstream changes and we end up like the film 2012 and under 2 miles of ice.

And I did say new fields are being found, just that they aren't anywhere near as large as the old fields and are harder to drill.

The North Sea is invested in by private companies, not the UK government.
They have dropped investment because the fields are naturally coming to an end of life.
This may shock you but oil fields don't last forever and we got most production between 1970 and 2000.

The UK can't count on the North Sea oil and gas forever but we can count on the place being windy unless the climate gets completely screwed and the jetstream changes and we end up like the film 2012 and under 2 miles of ice.

And I did say new fields are being found, just that they aren't anywhere near as large as the old fields and are harder to drill.
You clearly have no idea how this works, because private investment in North Sea oil and gas cannot continue if the UK government refuses licensing deals due to net zero.

Educate yourself before you make such silly statements again.

And wind farms are a dead end when the wind stops blowing:

The situation is especially acute in the U.K., where wind is currently providing only 7% of the country’s energy makeup—a steep drop from the 25% it generated on average across 2020.

The U.K.’s offshore wind sector had been a success story of the energy transition, drastically cutting emissions by rolling out 24GW of wind power over the past decade—enough to power 7.2 million homes. But as wind slowed and the price of carbon credits rose to record highs, the electricity market has experienced extreme volatility.

“We have very steep targets for increased renewable energy penetration, and the growing problem alongside of that is this fluctuation in prices that we’re seeing,” says Finlay Clark, an offshore wind analyst from Wood Mackenzie.

As a result, gas- and coal-fired electricity plants have been brought online to fill the gap. Gas now makes up more than half of the electricity in the U.K., and while the U.K.’s offshore wind is covered by subsidies and operating at zero marginal cost, gas is not.

Thats another reason why your electric bills have gone through the roof. But then again, since thats what youve wanted, then please be my guest. :LOL:

Last edited:
You clearly have no idea how this works, because private investment in North Sea oil and gas cannot continue if the UK government refuses licensing deals due to net zero.

Educate yourself before you make such silly statements again.

And wind farms are a dead end when the wind stops blowing:

Thats another reason why your electric bills have gone through the roof. But then again, since thats what youve wanted, then please be my guest. :LOL:

That's why we're going for a mix and not just wind power.
We're also investing in power storage for when the wind doesn't blow but as I said the wind is regular in the north sea which is why companies are falling over themselves to invest in it.

Even the oil companies are doing so, and I have a feeling they know a bit about the subject.

The UK is about to go completely coal free and the gas stations will eventually be phased out. The prices now are a temporary blip and will come down again just as they did after the previous oil crisis. Even if the UK decided to spend 100% of GDP on new oil platforms they wouldn't help us this Christmas or even next year so you're getting your panties in a twist about something we can't fix instantly anyway.

For example Germany gets 54 percent of their electricity from renewable energy. While yes you have seen some increase in coal use now because gas have become so much more expensive. That is shows how volatile the global fossil fuel market is and it have before been for example the 70's oil crisis, the Gulf war, 9/11 and the Iraq war.

There the transiton towards renewable energy could have come a lot further and the dependency on fossil fuels and brutal dictatorships could have been a lot less, if not powerful economical interests had spent so much money on delaying the transition.

mate, you people have GOT to stop using Putin and the war as your excuse for every failed leftist agenda.

Germany upped its coal usage long before Putin attacked Ukraine. Hell...we talked about it a LOT on this site.

"Germany’s use of coal-fired power has increased by 40 per cent in 2021"​

“German emissions from electricity generation increased in the first half of 2021 by one-quarter” with output from gas-fired power plants increasing by 15 per cent, coal power plants by 36 per cent, and hard coal power plants by 44 per cent.

Unsurprisingly, wind power produced just 46.8 terawatt hours in the first six months of 2021 – over one-quarter less than what they produced in the first half of 2020."

SO here are the facts;
1-Pointing out the facts does not mean I support Putin
2-Green energy is desirable...but not yet efficient enough to end fossil fuel needs
3-Its lunacy to continue to tout a green energy program KNOWING it isnt producing the energy needed to seamlessly replace fossil fuels.

Theres more...like the fact tht they are mining their ass off trying find enough materials to create green energy resources, and in the process buringthrough a TON of fossil fuel resources...likely MORE than they will ever realize in recovery and exchange.

Reactions: PoS
That's why we're going for a mix and not just wind power.
We're also investing in power storage for when the wind doesn't blow but as I said the wind is regular in the north sea which is why companies are falling over themselves to invest in it.

Even the oil companies are doing so, and I have a feeling they know a bit about the subject.

The UK is about to go completely coal free and the gas stations will eventually be phased out. The prices now are a temporary blip and will come down again just as they did after the previous oil crisis. Even if the UK decided to spend 100% of GDP on new oil platforms they wouldn't help us this Christmas or even next year so you're getting your panties in a twist about something we can't fix instantly anyway.
LOL power storage. Show me a power storage thats in use that can handle an entire country's electrical grid.

And I could care less whether you people fix it or not, Im having a fun time laughing at the huge bills youre paying for your silly green utopia. It's called schadenfreude. :LOL:

LOL power storage. Show me a power storage thats in use that can handle an entire country's electrical grid.

And I could care less whether you people fix it or not, Im having a fun time laughing at the huge bills youre paying for your silly green utopia. It's called schadenfreude. :LOL:
They just learn (indoctrinated) what to say without knowing the actual logistics of it.

They just learn (indoctrinated) what to say without knowing the actual logistics of it.
Yup, they believe the hype without actually thinking it through. I have no sympathy for people like that.

Yup, they believe the hype without actually thinking it through. I have no sympathy for people like that.
The problem is that too many of them are voting age. That's why we are in a downward spiral.

The problem is that too many of them are voting age. That's why we are in a downward spiral.
Let them learn the hard way then. Its happening right now.

Yep, you guys are so much more intelligent than the entire nation of the UK it's amazing we manage to survive at all really.

I have a feeling you'll be getting a visit by someone from the government soon enough begging for your sage advice and offering you unlimited funds to fix our mess.
Please save us from our own vast and never-ending stupidity.

Yep, you guys are so much more intelligent than the entire nation of the UK it's amazing we manage to survive at all really.

I have a feeling you'll be getting a visit by someone from the government soon enough begging for your sage advice and offering you unlimited funds to fix our mess.
Please save us from our own vast and never-ending stupidity.
So are your energy prices going up or not?

So are your energy prices going up or not?

At the moment they are and they will come down again after the crisis is over.

Is solar truly as tapped as it can be? I doubt that claim. Even for England and the UK there's a lot more solar installation that can happen, and yes, even in a cloudy rainy area solar can be quite effective.

It's not going to be easy to move over to green energy, there will be no single source of energy but rather a basket of different energy sources. But the change needs to happen. Switching from a polluting and climactically dangerous energy source has got to be a priority if we want to play the long-game on our collective ways of life.
Adios

Yes, energy prices never fluctuate at all do they?
The price of oil has been super stable for the last century and not budged an inch.

mate, you people have GOT to stop using Putin and the war as your excuse for every failed leftist agenda.

Germany upped its coal usage long before Putin attacked Ukraine. Hell...we talked about it a LOT on this site.

"Germany’s use of coal-fired power has increased by 40 per cent in 2021"​

“German emissions from electricity generation increased in the first half of 2021 by one-quarter” with output from gas-fired power plants increasing by 15 per cent, coal power plants by 36 per cent, and hard coal power plants by 44 per cent.

Unsurprisingly, wind power produced just 46.8 terawatt hours in the first six months of 2021 – over one-quarter less than what they produced in the first half of 2020."

SO here are the facts;
1-Pointing out the facts does not mean I support Putin
2-Green energy is desirable...but not yet efficient enough to end fossil fuel needs
3-Its lunacy to continue to tout a green energy program KNOWING it isnt producing the energy needed to seamlessly replace fossil fuels.

Theres more...like the fact tht they are mining their ass off trying find enough materials to create green energy resources, and in the process buringthrough a TON of fossil fuel resources...likely MORE than they will ever realize in recovery and exchange.

There will of course be challenges, cost and setbacks with the transition away from fossil fuels. Still where have been great advancements just in the last ten years with renewables bouncing back to 54 percent of electricity generation in Germany during the first part of this year. There having countries like Germany lead the way have led to massive reduction in cost of renewable energy. So that you are now seeing an expansion of renewable energy all across the world.

That at the same time the costs and challenges with fossil fuels is so much greater than the cost and challenges with the transition away from fossil fuels. That it is for example the enormous challenges and costs with climate change.

While also the enormous cost of being dependent on and funding brutal dictatorships. There western countries have also paid trillions on dollars on intervention in Middle East,

That at the same time it is also the enormous cost of toxic pollution from fossil fuels.

There are for example hydropower, concentrated solar power with thermal storage and biofuels powerplants that can produce electricity on demand. There also for example wind power and solar power can produce the most power during different times of the day and year.

There you also have differents types of storage like for example battery storage, thermal storage and pump storage hydro. That at the same time as electric vehicles can also be used for energy storage.

There consumers of electricity can also have their own storage, where that can also for example be hydrogen storage.

There will of course be challenges, cost and setbacks with the transition away from fossil fuels. Still where have been great advancements just in the last ten years with renewables bouncing back to 54 percent of electricity generation in Germany during the first part of this year. There having countries like Germany lead the way have led to massive reduction in cost of renewable energy. So that you are now seeing an expansion of renewable energy all across the world.

That at the same time the costs and challenges with fossil fuels is so much greater than the cost and challenges with the transition away from fossil fuels. That it is for example the enormous challenges and costs with climate change.

While also the enormous cost of being dependent on and funding brutal dictatorships. There western countries have also paid trillions on dollars on intervention in Middle East,

That at the same time it is also the enormous cost of toxic pollution from fossil fuels.

The bottom line is that until you can rely on renewable energy...you cant...and people would be better served to stop living in a ridiculous fairy tale world.

There are for example hydropower, concentrated solar power with thermal storage and biofuels powerplants that can produce electricity on demand. There also for example wind power and solar power can produce the most power during different times of the day and year.

There you also have differents types of storage like for example battery storage, thermal storage and pump storage hydro. That at the same time as electric vehicles can also be used for energy storage.

There consumers of electricity can also have their own storage, where that can also for example be hydrogen storage.

Again...I'm a big fan of the search for reliable renewables. But you lot never see the forest. DO you k now how much fossil fuel production has to be expended to get the raw materials to even MAKE the green energy components? How many polutants are being created to prevent pollutants? Do you realize how much food agro is lost in the pursuit of biofuels and the amount of fossil fuels it takes to harvest those organic materials?

Frankly...I dont think we have found the answer yet. I think at some point they are going to have to find a hotter more efficient fuel source...or all the green energy efforts they come up with will simply fail. We are going to have boneyards of dead batteries and windmill components. They need a greater commitment to nuclear...ad as it is its funny to see yesterdays eco worriors that used to protest nuclear energy today speaking glowingly of it.

You just have to be smarter and for now, that means you HAVE to embrace fossil fuels...or park your cars and go home and turn off your lights.

Back
Top Bottom