• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Briton's Amazing America's Cup Win!

Manc Skipper

Wrinkly member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
8-1 down in the best-of-17 America's Cup series, things were looking bleak for the USA until Sir Ben Ainslie, Britain's sailing Olympic Gold medallist stepped in as tactician for the US team, and after 8 straight wins without fiurther loss, America's Aussie captain lifted the cup today!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sailing/24274103

It was a rather spectacular win but I did get a kick out of listening to the accents of the crew.

It was truly amazing. I've watched it quite a few times already. Astonishing. New Zealand was out run and out maneuvered. One of their jibes really didn't work for them at all, but they put themselves in that position. Fun.

To be fair, though I exaggerated the crew's multiple nationalities for effect, the Kiwi team wasn't all Kiwi either! It's kind of sad that the nominally "national" teams belong to the nationality of the biggest sponsor, and these hi-tech boats are ridiculously expensive. The NZ government put up $35M toward their (losing) boat!

Back
Top Bottom