• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Britishisms for "furriners"

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What the British sayWhat the British meanWhat others understand
I hear what you sayI disagree and do not want to discuss it furtherHe accepts my point of view
With the greatest respect...I think you are an idiotHe is listening to me
That's not badThat's goodThat's poor
That is a very brave proposalYou are insaneHe thinks I have courage
Quite goodA bit disappointingQuite good
I would suggest...Do it or be prepared to justify yourselfThink about the idea, but do what you like
Oh, incidentally/by the wayThe primary purpose of our discussion is...That is not very important
I was a bit disappointed thatI am annoyed thatIt doesn't really matter
Very interestingThat is clearly nonsenseThey are impressed
I'll bear it in mindI've forgotten it alreadyThey will probably do it
I'm sure it's my faultIt's your faultWhy do they think it was their fault?
You must come for dinnerIt's not an invitation, I'm just being politeI will get an invitation soon
I almost agreeI don't agree at allHe's not far from agreement
I only have a few minor commentsPlease re-write completelyHe has found a few typos
Could we consider some other options?I don't like your ideaThey have not yet decided

Useful table as it explains to us Brits when we say "I almost agree" to a poster from another country why they think we actually agree! My personal favourite is "you must come for dinner." I never ever want to see the person I have said that to in my house - I'd rather shoot myself than allow them over my doorstep.
:lamo

Probably the most important one is "quite."

We Americans consider "Your cake was quite delicious" as a compliment.

As the OP showed, do NOT say that to a British cook.

you are getting the word British mixed up with the Word English ... do not think the whole UK thinks the same as the English we don't ... that is why you better get used to the term English .... Britain's time is about up

Working with Brits and having Brit clients back in the day when I was in an office, Ive found them to be masters of understatement and seemingly have a word for everything. Aussies were more casual and earthy, but they would still keep their promises. Scandinavians remained standoffish, until you get to know them. Germans, ugh- dont talk to me about Germans... some were alright and friendly, others ... not so.

you are getting the word British mixed up with the Word English ... do not think the whole UK thinks the same as the English we don't ... that is why you better get used to the term English .... Britain's time is about up

I'm sure it's my fault that you misunderstood the thread is lighthearted and non political....

~ As the OP showed, do NOT say that to a British cook.

With our reputation for cooking going ahead of us.... ANY compliment, however backhanded will go down well.

I'm sure it's my fault that you misunderstood the thread is lighthearted and non political....

Nothing is non-political lol. It can get quite annoying how you English persistently confuse 'England' with 'Britain' ☠️

Very interesting and quite informative. I’ll bear it in mind in future discussions.

;)

The whole of England doesn't think the same way but as relevant as a jokey stereotype will be at all, it's no less relevant to all the other parts of the UK. Source: I'm half-English/half-Scottish and used to live in Wales. :cool:

Nothing is non-political lol. It can get quite annoying how you English persistently confuse 'England' with 'Britain' ☠️

I almost agree with you... if I were fully English, I would even bear your argument in mind.... :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom