• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

British voters increasingly dislike Brexit

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

Two things are causing the shift: Leavers changing their mind and the older, more pro-leave crowd dying off:

“There are good reasons to believe that demographic drift” is happening, says Curtice, but the change is being caused “primarily by leave voters changing their mind”.

On the other hand, he says that “movement has occurred disproportionately among people in the younger part of the age spectrum” and this could mean that “the demographic cliff is even sharper” as new cohorts enter the electorate.

Two things are causing the shift: Leavers changing their mind and the older, more pro-leave crowd dying off:

Too late now dipshits!

I hear King George felt similarly about tea taxes after 1776!

I doubt if they tried to rejoin the EU that they would be given special status allowing them to keep the pound, etc. I wonder if there are many unbiased sources detailing how the UK has benefited from leaving the EU. I know Norway has never joined and they appear to be doing just fine. After a Google search it looked like the Swiss also rejected the EU by an extremely slim margin within 1%.

I doubt if they tried to rejoin the EU that they would be given special status allowing them to keep the pound, etc. I wonder if there are many unbiased sources detailing how the UK has benefited from leaving the EU. I know Norway has never joined and they appear to be doing just fine. After a Google search it looked like the Swiss also rejected the EU by an extremely slim margin within 1%.
They would need to buy themselves back in and have little or no status for quite awhile but even so they would be better off. This was another victory for Putin and they are just finally realizing they were lied to. I never thought I would see the Pound fall below $1.25

I know Norway has never joined and they appear to be doing just fine. After a Google search it looked like the Swiss also rejected the EU by an extremely slim margin within 1%.

Norway is part of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland has access to the single market.

When our pro-Leave morons convinced 50% of the electorate to vote for poverty, they also tied in NOT being part of the EEA or single market. They couldn't have done Putin's work any better.

This probably have something to do with it:

UK economy only G7 nation to shrink in 2023 - IMF

_128463560_optimised-oecd-gdp-growth-nc-004.png.webp

Car production at its lowest / financial services moving to Europe / manufacturers (including the ones like Dyson who wanted Brexit) moving overseas / less qualified workers coming in from the EU.

People voted for this: some people actively wanted this because they felt a smaller UK economy would stop dark-skinned migrant workers coming to the UK.

Norway is part of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland has access to the single market.

When our pro-Leave morons convinced 50% of the electorate to vote for poverty, they also tied in NOT being part of the EEA or single market. They couldn't have done Putin's work any better.

_128463560_optimised-oecd-gdp-growth-nc-004.png.webp

Car production at its lowest / financial services moving to Europe / manufacturers (including the ones like Dyson who wanted Brexit) moving overseas / less qualified workers coming in from the EU.

People voted for this: some people actively wanted this because they felt a smaller UK economy would stop dark-skinned migrant workers coming to the UK.
Yes and of course Putin thinks GB was too big for their britches and BREXIT would bring them down to size. It was a propaganda victory that the british people will suffer under for decades. They need to go to the E.U. hat in hand and beg for forgiveness.

They need to go to the E.U. hat in hand and beg for forgiveness.

At the time of losing the vote, I accepted the fact. (Not happily)

3 years poverty isn't enough to change how the UK and its Brexiter voters would behave. I said at the time of the result that we need a generation of poverty and decline for

1) old leavers to die off
2) the EU to forgive us for the trouble we caused whenever we could in EU meetings.

There has not been enough suffering or decline yet I'm afraid. Farage will simply pop out of his box and start his rubbish again.

he claims usually that Brexit hasn't been Brexit enough....

Rees Mogg the Haunted Pencil Brexit minister and activist has apparently found a benefit!

3 years poverty isn't enough to change how the UK and its Brexiter voters would behave. I said at the time of the result that we need a generation of poverty and decline for

2) the EU to forgive us for the trouble we caused whenever we could in EU meetings.

There has not been enough suffering or decline yet I'm afraid. Farage will simply pop out of his box and start his rubbish again.

I have to laugh at the "good deal" comment. Why should the E.U. give any deals to the Brexit crowd? They had their chance and blew it.

I have to laugh at the "good deal" comment. Why should the E.U. give any deals to the Brexit crowd? They had their chance and blew it.
On the contrary, those who triggered it have all made out like literal bandits. It's the poor dupes who voted for it (many of whom are now dead from age or Covid (Also visited on them by the Brexiters) wh have suffered.

What ever happened to the statements the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU.

I recall being told by Tim the plumber that the UK cam hold out and the EU would give the UK everything basically.

What ever happened to the statements the EU needs the UK more than the UK needs the EU.

I recall being told by Tim the plumber that the UK cam hold out and the EU would give the UK everything basically.
They were severely "misled" at best.

Last edited:
Tim the plumber

Most if not all tradespeople were Brexiters, they didn't like that Poles were coming here and working for less than half what UK trades people were charging. Same with a lot of the beauty trade - a lot of EU trades people were married and had enterprising girlfriends or wives.

I am pretty sure he is just missing Brussels, being an MEP was the only time he had relevance.

In theory, yes, the Euro is on paper obligatory. In practice quite a few countries that doesn't have it.

EU countries that doesn't have the Euro:
Bulgaria, Czechia, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Sweden will join "once they have met necessary conditions". At least Sweden could meet the conditions tomorrow if they wanted to, but they don't.
Denmark also doesn't have the Euro, but they have an opt-out.

Thing is that both Switzerland and Norway have been doing their "own thing" for years, with Norway especially doing well in the energy sector (not just fossil but "hydro" and other "alternatives"), while Switzerland has always been a financial hub as well as proficient in "industrial" production in choice products.

As opposed to the UK which, since joining the "community", has geared itself to interchange both ways and has slumped considerably in that aspect by leaving.

Without the time or even capacity to build up alternatives.

Of course both the pandemic and the war didn't help in any such envisaged ambitions either, but the game of going solo made matters much worse.

Rees Mogg the Haunted Pencil Brexit minister and activist has apparently found a benefit!

It isn't that Rees-Mug is an unprincipled scum bag, it's his principles that suck like an Electrolux.

Or, better said for more actuality, like a Dyson.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom