• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

British Minister's visit hailed as Britain's renewaled interest in South Pacific

MichaelW

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From: British visit hailed as sign of interest | Stuff.co.nz

A visit by two high-ranking British Cabinet ministers is a sign of Britain being more engaged in the Asia-Pacific region, Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully says.

Foreign Secretary William Hague and Defence Secretary Liam Fox arrived at Whenuapai Air Base yesterday afternoon for two days of talks with the Government. They were greeted by Mr McCully and Chief of Defence Jerry Mateparae, and other military officials.

Among the matters expected to be discussed are the growing problems for New Zealanders trying to obtain British visas, and New Zealand's role in Afghanistan.

Among the matters expected to be discussed are the growing problems for New Zealanders trying to obtain British visas,

New Zealanders are very welcome here, especially if they're good rugby players. ;)

On a more serious note - NZ has long been a good destination for Brits looking for a new life abroad. Aren't there quotas on Brits wishing to emigrate? Sounds strange for New Zealanders to be struggling and or wishing to come to the UK.

New Zealanders are very welcome here, especially if they're good rugby players. ;)

On a more serious note - NZ has long been a good destination for Brits looking for a new life abroad. Aren't there quotas on Brits wishing to emigrate? Sounds strange for New Zealanders to be struggling and or wishing to come to the UK.

I wouldn't know. All I know is the city where I live has the highest ammount of British/Irish immigrants per capita in New Zealand. I'd like to see NZ and Britain helping each other out on the defence front. Maybe they could sell us some of their old planes or tanks. That way we wouldn't have to "borrow" the Australian/American airforce for ground support missions/excercises.

We just binned our Harrier force, and the Ark Royal is having it's final open day in Portsmouth today before she goes for razor blades... Ask Hague for a loan!

From an Australian perspective, I applaud this visit (Hague and Fox are also coming here). Hopefully these two Britons will help breathe some life into the dormant Commonwealth of Nations, which has never been a great player in international affairs. The way I see it, the Commonwealth has the potential to be something far greater than a second-rate sporting competition, for a number of reasons:

1. It encompasses a broad variety of countries and ethnicities across the world, with member countries situated in Europe (obviously), Africa, the Americas, Asia and Oceania;
2. An emphasis in many Commonwealth countries on human rights, the rule of law, institutions of responsible government and economic freedom, and the ability to promote these ideas on a global scale;
3. The ability to facilitate transfers of educational and other skills-based capabilities between member nations (e.g. the Commonwealth Business Council, which helps encourage developing Commonwealth countries to be part of the World Trade Organisation);
4. A significant amount of trade, to the tune of $US4 billion per year, is conducted between member nations.

The Commonwealth has at times been derided for its colonial origins. However, this is, in a way, an asset. Despite the oppressive (and sometimes brutal) conduct of British representatives in the former colonies, British influence also ultimately helped establish (at least) an emphasis on individual rights, common law judicial systems and the English language in many of the countries they once occupied. Today, the Commonwealth continues to represent the best and most contemporarily applicable aspects of the British colonial legacy, and I think that that ought to be encouraged.

-- Hopefully these two Britons will help breathe some life into the dormant Commonwealth of Nations, which has never been a great player in international affairs. The way I see it, the Commonwealth has the potential to be something far greater than a second-rate sporting competition, for a number of reasons:--

If I could "like" your post more than once, I would. Many commonwealth nations have developed beyond the point of looking at the UK as the paternal enemy and former colonial power; when Cameron was electioneering I remember talk of the UK looking at new partnerships and economic ties and the commonwealth was mentioned. It's high time serious thougt and effort was put into this - not that we abandon the US and EU economic ties we have here but to develop new ones with brother nations. This could also benefit many of those nations by fostering trade routes into Europe.

I wouldn't know. All I know is the city where I live has the highest ammount of British/Irish immigrants per capita in New Zealand. I'd like to see NZ and Britain helping each other out on the defence front. Maybe they could sell us some of their old planes or tanks. That way we wouldn't have to "borrow" the Australian/American airforce for ground support missions/excercises.

Defense from what? An invasion from the Antarctica Penguin Army?!?!?

The Commonwealth definately has the potential to do some good around the world, as evidenced by the fact that at least two Francophone nations have joined the club. However, there is also very real divisions between the white nations and the Asian/African nations that are members, as partially evidenced by the reaction of India and other Asian members of the ICC over the Australian choice to lead the organization. There is obviously tension there. Still, it would seem that genuine British interest in the South Pacific region (either within or without the auspices of the Commonwealth) would be a good thing...

Back
Top Bottom