• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

British cancelled African dreams, literally

A substantial number of the wars and insurgencies currently ongoing in Africa today have their roots directly tied to colonialism. Ignoring that is foolish.

Something can be “not utopia” and still a hell of a lot better than it was after decades of colonialism.
you are correct-the artificial nation state creation was a major issue. But Africa was a mess before colonial rule. Wonder how it would have turned out without colonial underdevelopment

A substantial number of the wars and insurgencies currently ongoing in Africa today have their roots directly tied to colonialism. Ignoring that is foolish.

Something can be “not utopia” and still a hell of a lot better than it was after decades of colonialism.

Much of the continent, pre-colonial era, consisted of stone age tribes warring among themselves, often in a very brutal manner.

What would it be like if there had been no European empires? If Africa had been left strictly alone? I don't know. Would it still be warring stone age tribes? Perhaps, who can say. At least some of the continent now has modern medicine, technology, and a grasp of the notion of democracy. If Africa had been left alone, that might not have been the case.

I'm not saying "colonialism good" btw... I'm saying it resulted in some mixed outcomes, some good, some bad.

Cost was the main reason why colonies were freed. few were able to actually win freedom militarily. Vietnam being one of the major exceptions

The Portuguese colonies did. So did Algeria. Haiti is another example.

you are correct-the artificial nation state creation was a major issue. But Africa was a mess before colonial rule. Wonder how it would have turned out without colonial underdevelopment

There’s no way to tell, since that’s a fairly massive butterfly, but averting colonization would have saved millions in the Congo alone.

Much of the continent, pre-colonial era, consisted of stone age tribes warring among themselves, often in a very brutal manner.

What would it be like if there had been no European empires? If Africa had been left strictly alone? I don't know. Would it still be warring stone age tribes? Perhaps, who can say. At least some of the continent now has modern medicine, technology, and a grasp of the notion of democracy. If Africa had been left alone, that might not have been the case.

I'm not saying "colonialism good" btw... I'm saying it resulted in some mixed outcomes, some good, some bad.

And then the Europeans showed up with industrialized brutality and religious “justifications” for their atrocities.

As I already pointed out, millions of lives would have been saved in the Congo alone if the European colonists had been prevented from taking over.

“Notion of democracy”? The locals didn’t get to see any of that “democracy” under colonial administration. They were lucky if they had any sort of rights whatsoever. And since the West spent the better part of fifty years propping up tyrants like Mobutu so long as they professed hatred for communism, that makes that line particularly absurd.

There’s no way to tell, since that’s a fairly massive butterfly, but averting colonization would have saved millions in the Congo alone.
What can be said is that they died for a higher purpose rather than being speared because some crazy “medicine man” had a dream. That’s something.

What can be said is that they died for a higher purpose rather than being speared because some crazy “medicine man” had a dream. That’s something.
Claiming that dying because a bunch of greedy and sociopathic Europeans demanded more rubber than you could physically produce is “dying for a higher purpose” is utterly laughable.

Claiming that dying because a bunch of greedy and sociopathic Europeans demanded more rubber than you could physically produce is “dying for a higher purpose” is utterly laughable.
Fueling the growth of a greater civilization is a higher purpose.

Fueling the growth of a greater civilization is a higher purpose.

No, the murder of millions upon millions of innocent people is not any sort of “higher purpose”. That you can’t figure that out says a LOT about you.

No, the murder of millions upon millions of innocent people is not any sort of “higher purpose”. That you can’t figure that out says a LOT about you.
The vast majority were killed by disease native to the continent not murdered. Not something their witch doctors could have saved them from either.

The vast majority were killed by disease native to the continent not murdered. Not something their witch doctors could have saved them from either.

.....because they were left incredibly weakened by the famines and incredibly vicious repression— slave labor in everything but name, plus mass murder to boot — that was the result of European rule in the Congo.

It was, once again, a DIRECT result of greedy and sociopathic European thugs gaining power over the locals.

.....because they were left incredibly weakened by the famines and incredibly vicious repression— slave labor in everything but name, plus mass murder to boot — that was the result of European rule in the Congo.

It was, once again, a DIRECT result of greedy and sociopathic European thugs gaining power over the locals.
The primary cause of death was African sleeping sickness - which is 100% fatal without modern medicine. They would have died even if Europeans weren’t there at all.

The primary cause of death was African sleeping sickness - which is 100% fatal without modern medicine. They would have died even if Europeans weren’t there at all.

It was FAR more than only sleeping sickness; there were a half a dozen major diseases ravaging the Congo. And, because the people there were literally being both starved and worked to death, they died in massive numbers. Once again, a direct result of European misrule and sociopathic cruelty.

That's kind of questionable. There was not enough time before arrival of Arabs and Europeans- don't forget the Arab slavers- for sleeping sickness to kill them all?

When the British colonized Africa in about 1870, they not only carted off resources such as gold, ivory, and salt, they also took away the dreams of tribal leaders. No, I don’t mean hopes and aspirations; I mean the dreams you have at night.

In the book Man and His Symbols (1964), page 37, psychoanalyst Carl Jung reported his experience with a tribe in east Africa. The tribesmen felt that the dreams of ordinary men meant nothing. “They thought that the only dreams that mattered were those of chiefs and medicine men; these, which concerned the welfare of the tribe, were highly appreciated.”

Alas, the chief and medicine man claimed they had ceased having meaningful dreams after the arrival of the British. “The district commissioner—the British official in charge of them—had taken over the functions of the ‘great dreams’ that had hitherto guided the tribe’s behavior.”
... and Europeans considered them backwards and unsophisticated!! LOL Shows us.

If, as some believe, dreams originate in the spiritual realm and not from our own minds, then the spirits were essentially telling the tribesmen, “We aren’t giving you guidance anymore. Listen to your British masters.”
I wonder what the regular people thought when they dreamed every night.... probably told it was nothing and not a dream because dreams were more visions or only counted when the Chief had one... t

In 1963, Kenya kicked Brit's ass and won their independence in battle. Kenyans, being a classy people, don't hold this against the Brits and today everyone gets along swimmingly.
i dont think that Kenya is a good example of a successful African country

i dont think that Kenya is a good example of a successful African country

Rwanda! What a comeback? It was in the throes of genocide in 1994!

very logical one , less people higher salaries, batter treatment of the working people , etc, we had it in 13c.

For a moment I thought I thought you considered Rwanda human success. But it turns out it was nothing but a nod at 13c barbarians. You are disgusting

very logical one , less people higher salaries, batter treatment of the working people , etc, we had it in 13c.

No, actually, you didn’t. Lithuania didn’t abolish slavery until 1588 and continued to promote serfdom up until the Russians, who were controlling the country, got rid of it.

RT. propaganda, how is weather in Voronezh comrade ?

Learn history bud.

“In 1588 the third Statute of Lithuania was signed, which finally completely abolished slavery, but still promoted serfdom (see Serfdom in Poland#15th to 18th centuries for details).[3][4] Only Emancipation reform of 1861 abolished serfdom in Lithuania, with exceptions of Palanga (in 1819) and Suvalkija (in 1807) where serfdom was already abolished earlier.[5]”

look putin´s buddy , stay on topic . you can´t right ? your Moscow SUCKS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN SUCKS , EVEN YOU role model knew it

View attachment 67388269

Look bud, in the “13th century” none of the things you claimed existed in Europe did, which makes your rambling meaningless.

Learn actual history instead of desperately grasping at straws in hopes “justifying” your racism.

Back
Top Bottom