• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

British Army Seeks 'Snow Flakes' And 'Me Me Me Millennials' In New Recruiting Campaign

Excon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
British Army Seeks 'Snow Flakes' And 'Me Me Me Millennials' In New Recruiting Campaign

your-army-needs-you---6-billboard-posters_custom-786f8ffe009a3de0aa7cc4ef3aee536b57dd99cb-s800-c85.jpg

Are you a "binge gamer"?

An unfocused office prankster?

A "me me me millennial"?

If so, the British army wants to recruit you.

It's all part of a new advertising campaign unveiled by the U.K. Defense Ministry aimed at 16- to 25-year-olds "looking for a job with purpose," according to a statement.

In videos, radio spots and posters, the advertisements take negative stereotypes about Generation Z — and their predecessors, the notorious millennials — and rebrand them as strengths. Self-centeredness becomes "self-belief," phone obsession becomes "focus" and selfies become "confidence."​

The video at the link provides more perspective to the ad campaign.

As funny and absurd as the ads appear to be, I hope it achieves what they intend.

Nk5nWBOn

Last edited:
If British pansies are anything like American ones, i'd be shocked if any of them passed the physical.

your-army-needs-you---6-billboard-posters_custom-786f8ffe009a3de0aa7cc4ef3aee536b57dd99cb-s800-c85.jpg

Are you a "binge gamer"?

An unfocused office prankster?

A "me me me millennial"?

If so, the British army wants to recruit you.

It's all part of a new advertising campaign unveiled by the U.K. Defense Ministry aimed at 16- to 25-year-olds "looking for a job with purpose," according to a statement.

In videos, radio spots and posters, the advertisements take negative stereotypes about Generation Z — and their predecessors, the notorious millennials — and rebrand them as strengths. Self-centeredness becomes "self-belief," phone obsession becomes "focus" and selfies become "confidence."​

The video at the link provides more perspective to the ad campaign.

As funny and absurd as the ads appear to be, I hope it achieves what they intend.

Nk5nWBOn

So just that I understand: first the U.K. guts its military spending and its capabilities, and now it wishes to fill its remaining ranks with self-righteous, self-absorbed, solipsistic pillocks? Rather than telling people "Many are called, but few are chosen" or "We will make better men and women of you" it's instead "Come as you are, you wonderful couch-bound, social media-addicted narcissists. The water is warm!"

So just that I understand: first the U.K. guts its military spending and its capabilities, and now it wishes to fill its remaining ranks with self-righteous, self-absorbed, solipsistic pillocks? Rather than telling people "Many are called, but few are chosen" or "We will make better men and women of you" it's instead "Come as you are, you wonderful couch-bound, social media-addicted narcissists. The water is warm!"
One would hope their "basic training" would sort things out?
:shrug:

I'm very much confused over what standing amotivated genX and spoiled/entitled baby boomers have to criticize millennials.

It's just the old tropes that repeat themselves every generation. Y are people so stupid? The only generation with a positive review was "the greatest generation".

I'm very much confused over what standing amotivated genX and spoiled/entitled baby boomers have to criticize millennials.

It's just the old tropes that repeat themselves every generation. Y are people so stupid? The only generation with a positive review was "the greatest generation".

Your own bigotry is noted.

Your own bigotry is noted.
showing that every generation has had negative views from the previous one to discredit claims against the current target generation is bigotry?

Are you dense or just trolling?

showing that every generation has had negative views from the previous one to discredit claims against the current target generation is bigotry?

Are you dense or just trolling?

:roll:

Just in case you haven't noticed, not everyone from every generation has these views.

It's a cop out that people like yourself just throw out there due to a lack of your own understanding.

Try harder.

Just in case you haven't noticed, not everyone from every generation has these views.

It's a cop out that people like yourself just throw out there due to a lack of your own understanding.

Try harder.
No duh not everyone has any perspective, but that doesnt change the fact that showing people the biases held against them for illegitamete reasons can stop them from holding similar biases against others for those same illegitamete reasons.

The fact that your taking my attempt to reduce their attacks on others to absurdity as a serious generalization that I hold shows a lack of critical reading on your part.

Keep :rolling: and try again :)

Try harder.
Let me guess, your a boomer who got butthurt over me reminding you of the stereotypes held against you, yet you make no attempt to counter the stereotypes being made against the younger generations. Bravo, you are officially perpetuating the problem.

Let me guess, your a boomer who got butthurt over me reminding you of the stereotypes held against you, yet you make no attempt to counter the stereotypes being made against the younger generations. Bravo, you are officially perpetuating the problem.

I don't get butt hurt pards.....geeeees! :lamo

I am one of the biggest supporters of young people that you will ever meet on here.

Put your immaturity & hatred in your back pocket for a while.......will ya please?

I am one of the biggest supporters of young people that you will ever meet on here.

Put your immaturity & hatred in your back pocket for a while.......will ya please?
Dont see that support here, just an inability to understand a reductio ad absurdum argument and a ton of your own assumptions. Let me break it down for you.

A bunch of idiots mock a new generation for being lazy/spoiled/demotivated, so I reminded them of how their generations were seen as lazy/spoiled/demotivated.

Your knee jerk reaction and inability to read between the lines is inductive of someone who got butthurt by a fragment of a sentence and failed to even see anything else. The entire point of bringing up the supposed shortcomings of every generation was to dispel the attacks on the current gen. I even stated that there was only 1 generation with a positive review and you know not all of them were all that great. My position was clear but you only noticed about 3 words, smh.

I'm not saying anything about you as a person, except that you are human and we all rush things sometimes, especially when distracted by life. I made a similar error on another thread yesterday by misinterpreting sarcasm while rushing irl. But you got it wrong here. And you threw in personal insults.

What is your view of millennials?

Dont see that support here, just an inability to understand a reductio ad absurdum argument and a ton of your own assumptions. Let me break it down for you.

A bunch of idiots mock a new generation for being lazy/spoiled/demotivated, so I reminded them of how their generations were seen as lazy/spoiled/demotivated.

Your knee jerk reaction and inability to read between the lines is inductive of someone who got butthurt by a fragment of a sentence and failed to even see anything else. The entire point of bringing up the supposed shortcomings of every generation was to dispel the attacks on the current gen. I even stated that there was only 1 generation with a positive review and you know not all of them were all that great. My position was clear but you only noticed about 3 words, smh.

I'm not saying anything about you as a person, except that you are human and we all rush things sometimes, especially when distracted by life. I made a similar error on another thread yesterday by misinterpreting sarcasm while rushing irl. But you got it wrong here. And you threw in personal insults.

BS.

You hacked 2 generations of people, and then you have the balls to to whine about what others say.

You want to have a conversation by pouring gasoline? :roll:

BS.

You hacked 2 generations of people, and then you have the balls to to whine about what others say.

You want to have a conversation by pouring gasoline? :roll:
The conversation was all about hacking millenials well before I got here. I just returned the favor.

At this point your choosing to just dig in and deny reality.

One would hope their "basic training" would sort things out?
:shrug:

I have heard that entry standards have been dropped with the aim of "making better soldiers" by the end of training but what worries me on a wider level (not this stupid poster campaign) are two things -

First,
we have been sending mixed messages with regard to recruitment. For years the media has reported on budget cuts to units, regiments and numbers and how the military have had to shed units and numbers while at the same time going on recruitment drives. If you were a fit young kid looking to join in the last 6 years, the military have been cutting numbers so you would then think "why bother?"

Secondly
the other thing that worries me is the company hired to run the recruitment campaign as they have missed targets yet dropped bigger and bigger bills on the public purse for these horrible, horrible campaigns.

I know several young people who have gone into the military these last 2 -3 years and they have been very fit, very focused and actually treated their bodies with respect and they knew that their health was important to joining. How these kids then see being associated as "snowflakes" and drama queens confuses me. This campaign is really badly thought out.

Secondly
the other thing that worries me is the company hired to run the recruitment campaign as they have missed targets yet dropped bigger and bigger bills on the public purse for these horrible, horrible campaigns.

This. I heard some interviews with people who'd wanted to join up and quite understandably given up (after a year in one case) on account of the incompetent outsourced recruitment process (Capita).

From a Russian perspective I can say that there is great respect for some of the elite British military units.

But the UK society and armed forces in general - they're finished as a credible force.

The army is already at record low levels and they can't recruit. Anecdotally I hear that some recruits don't realise that they might have to kill people because the army recruits millennials on the basis of handing out blankets to crisis areas. A lot of people drop out quickly.

I think the feminisation of UK society means they'll never be capable of more than some really good elite units. They have no backbone as a state. They are a lamb that roars like a lion, hiding behind US protection.

I have heard that entry standards have been dropped with the aim of "making better soldiers" by the end of training but what worries me on a wider level (not this stupid poster campaign) are two things -

First,
we have been sending mixed messages with regard to recruitment. For years the media has reported on budget cuts to units, regiments and numbers and how the military have had to shed units and numbers while at the same time going on recruitment drives. If you were a fit young kid looking to join in the last 6 years, the military have been cutting numbers so you would then think "why bother?"

Secondly

I know several young people who have gone into the military these last 2 -3 years and they have been very fit, very focused and actually treated their bodies with respect and they knew that their health was important to joining. How these kids then see being associated as "snowflakes" and drama queens confuses me. This campaign is really badly thought out.

desperate times mate.

From a Russian perspective I can say that there is great respect for some of the elite British military units.

But the UK society and armed forces in general - they're finished as a credible force.

The army is already at record low levels and they can't recruit. Anecdotally I hear that some recruits don't realise that they might have to kill people because the army recruits millennials on the basis of handing out blankets to crisis areas. A lot of people drop out quickly.

I think the feminisation of UK society means they'll never be capable of more than some really good elite units. They have no backbone as a state. They are a lamb that roars like a lion, hiding behind US protection.

As a Russian, you would say that :roll:

Story goes from bad to worse...

The guardsman whose face has the term "snowflake" emblazoned above didn't realise or agree to his photo being used and is looking to resign.

'made-up sh*t' ��

No - it's just that i couldn't be bothered to link the source.

Believe what you want ......... clearly, recruitment is going really really well :roll:

Story goes from bad to worse...

The guardsman whose face has the term "snowflake" emblazoned above didn't realise or agree to his photo being used and is looking to resign.

This is a microcosm of the tortuous nonsense that political correctness is causing in the UK.

It's literally tying itself in knots with its virtue signalling.

Back
Top Bottom