• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

British Army Seeks 'Snow Flakes' And 'Me Me Me Millennials' In New Recruiting Campaign

This is a microcosm of the tortuous nonsense that political correctness is causing in the UK.

It's literally tying itself in knots with its virtue signalling.

The recruitment issue is nothing to do with political correctness. I explained this previously. Also, the UK has cut unit numbers but could easily have raised pay for those who wish to join or are actively serving. Higher salaries (instead of paying an agency millions for a sh**e advertising campaign) would easily address the problem.

I have heard that entry standards have been dropped with the aim of "making better soldiers" by the end of training but what worries me on a wider level (not this stupid poster campaign) are two things -

First,
we have been sending mixed messages with regard to recruitment. For years the media has reported on budget cuts to units, regiments and numbers and how the military have had to shed units and numbers while at the same time going on recruitment drives. If you were a fit young kid looking to join in the last 6 years, the military have been cutting numbers so you would then think "why bother?"

Secondly
the other thing that worries me is the company hired to run the recruitment campaign as they have missed targets yet dropped bigger and bigger bills on the public purse for these horrible, horrible campaigns.

I know several young people who have gone into the military these last 2 -3 years and they have been very fit, very focused and actually treated their bodies with respect and they knew that their health was important to joining.
Not saying that was your purpose, but nothing you said here negates what you quoted and I also see no need to discuss these things. I wish them the best of luck.

How these kids then see being associated as "snowflakes" and drama queens confuses me. This campaign is really badly thought out.
While I do not disagree that it is a bad idea, if the general outcomes achieved are what is desired, I wouldn't really give a ****.
:shrug:

Not saying that was your purpose, but nothing you said here negates what you quoted and I also see no need to discuss these things. I wish them the best of luck.

While I do not disagree that it is a bad idea, if the general outcomes achieved are what is desired, I wouldn't really give a ****.

You know, sometimes debate isn't always adversarial and there are different "tacks" on a subject, I wasn't trying to negate anything you said. My post was explaining for those interested some of the intricacies of the situation - as you may see from my later post where one of the soldiers images turned out to have come from a serving soldier who had not agreed and did not wish to be portrayed as a snowflake.

You know, sometimes debate isn't always adversarial and there are different "tacks" on a subject, I wasn't trying to negate anything you said.
Like I said; "Not saying that was your purpose, ..."

- as you may see from my later post where one of the soldiers images turned out to have come from a serving soldier who had not agreed and did not wish to be portrayed as a snowflake.
Yeah that was sad they didn't even consult him.

Like I already said;
"I wish them the best of luck."​
and
"While I do not disagree that it is a bad idea, if the general outcomes achieved are what is desired, I wouldn't really give a ****.
:shrug: "​

Back
Top Bottom