• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Britain's National Health Service is in crisis

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The situation in the UK has been described as the worst NHS crisis since the service was established 75 years ago. The wait time for appointments and treatments has increased but when it comes to accidents and emergencies (A&E) the record is even more dismal.

The numbers are telling. According to NHS England, a record 54,532 people in December waited for more than 12 hours once arriving at A&E. The average wait for an ambulance for category two patients, which includes suspected strokes or heart attacks, is more than 90 minutes. The target time is 18 minutes, reports AFP. There were 1,474 more deaths in the week ending 30 December than the five-year average, a rise of 20 per cent.

Hospitals in the UK are so overcrowded that a British doctor said that the conditions in NHS are worse than in nations with poor medical infrastructure like war-hit Ukraine.

This should be a massive wake-up call for liberals. The single-payer model is crumbling in the UK. I very much doubt Rishi Sunak is getting medical care through the NHS.

UK citizens who suffer a heart attack have to wait over 2 hours just to be seen by a doctor. What an absolute travesty that is!

I’ve never heard of anyone suggesting an NHS be created in the United States.

"[T]he NHS tries to absorb all those costs in a centralized, taxpayer-funded model within a society that has voted for low-tax government for much of the past 40 years,”

Found your problem.

I'm not surprised. conservatives have been running that country for some time now, and everything they touch seems to turn to shit.

I'm not surprised. conservatives have been running that country for some time now, and everything they touch seems to turn to shit.

So the solution is a universal health care system run by liberals? Is that the only way for a single-payer system to work in a country?

Utterly biased source.

This should be a massive wake-up call for liberals. The single-payer model is crumbling in the UK. I very much doubt Rishi Sunak is getting medical care through the NHS.
Yes it should.. problem is, the Conservatives have been in power for 12+ years and caused this problem. Sunak also has admitted going private once, and that will cost him a ton of votes.

The NHS is popular among the right and left, and the Conservative Tories leadership have been wanting to privatize the NHS since the 1970s. Problem is if they did outright, then they would never get elected again. So instead they have slowly degraded the NHS over decades with idiotic policies. Their latest move is not to give doctors and nurses wage increase that at least meet inflation, and at the same time basically kick out EU nurses and doctors resulting in a massive reduction in both. Add in a failed Covid policy and massive corruption in the Tory party and you have the NHS of today.

UK citizens who suffer a heart attack have to wait over 2 hours just to be seen by a doctor. What an absolute travesty that is!

Hey at least they can see a doctor unlike the US.. no money, no doctor.

Utterly biased source.

Yes it should.. problem is, the Conservatives have been in power for 12+ years and caused this problem. Sunak also has admitted going private once, and that will cost him a ton of votes.

The NHS is popular among the right and left, and the Conservative Tories leadership have been wanting to privatize the NHS since the 1970s. Problem is if they did outright, then they would never get elected again. So instead they have slowly degraded the NHS over decades with idiotic policies. Their latest move is not to give doctors and nurses wage increase that at least meet inflation, and at the same time basically kick out EU nurses and doctors resulting in a massive reduction in both. Add in a failed Covid policy and massive corruption in the Tory party and you have the NHS of today.

Hey at least they can see a doctor unlike the US.. no money, no doctor.
aaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddd....

then we get the rest of the story from a European and not Bucky from rural small town US.

"[T]he NHS tries to absorb all those costs in a centralized, taxpayer-funded model within a society that has voted for low-tax government for much of the past 40 years,”

Found your problem.

Yep, you basically get what you pay for regardless of who runs the system.

So the solution is a universal health care system run by liberals? Is that the only way for a single-payer system to work in a country?
There's dozens of models around the world. The ones being run by liberals seem to be doing fine. This thread is about the one being run by conservatives.

aaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddd....

then we get the rest of the story from a European and not Bucky from rural small town US.

The NHS is nearly out of money!

This is why a single-payer system wouldn't work in the United States. I give it two years in the United States before it runs out of funds.

Yes, but there are other single payer systems superior to the sadly out-dated British NHS. I am well satisfied with the one we have in Sweden.

This is why a single-payer system wouldn't work in the United States. I give it two years in the United States before it runs out of funds.
and, of course, you left out a ton of info to push your agenda.

its not like posters haven't figure that out.

Hospitals in the US are also suffering from long wait times, staffing shortages, and insufficient funding. This is hardly a problem unique to Britain. The solution is to raise taxes to fund the healthcare system.

It is out of money because the UK government of the last 12 years are utterly corrupt and have ruined the country from top to bottom.

For example, during Covid, the UK government, need like everyone else... PPE, personal protection equipment and they needed it fast. 12 billion pounds was set a side, and anyone could come and say they could get the needed gear. So friends of friends of government ministers or workers basically stole 8 billion pounds and what has the current version of the same government done ... nothing. The PPE delivered by companies set up days before getting contracts.. were all so poor in quality that all they could be used for, was to burn in garbage fuelled power plants.

This is but one of many such damaging policies that the Conservative Tories have put on the NHS over the last 12 years.

Hospitals in the US are also suffering from long wait times, staffing shortages, and insufficient funding. This is hardly a problem unique to Britain. The solution is to raise taxes to fund the healthcare system.

Our flawed non-single-payer system is outperforming the single-payer NHS version.

This is borderline tautology.

The system is failing because it is under funded.

So, fund it.

No.
It is out of money because the UK government of the last 12 years are utterly corrupt and have ruined the country from top to bottom.

Doesn't look underfunded to me:

nhs funding.png

nhs spending.png

No they don't

Its in crisis because over the past decade the conservatives have been tearing it up piece by piece. Damage done by Jeremy Hunt has been tough to move past and then add a pandemic in the mix....

Meh. Its the UK, a country where they bow down to a king who brings his teddy bear wherever he goes.

Back
Top Bottom