• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Britain Votes for Brexit [W:46]

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO, THe Scots know today that they ****ed up by not becoming their own country.......They did not want this.

Last edited:
Went to bed seeing the polls that say 54% chose to stay, thinking it was predictable, waking up shocked.
Thinking about it, this always happens. Well damn, hopefully the world's economy can handle it.

"Stoopid is as stoopid does." (Forrest Gump)

We shall review your comment in two years. The City first - the major banks will be leaving for Paris.

Thank you, thank you, thank you ... we really needed the jobs!

From what I read, France could be the next to leave. God help you if the right wingers take over. They will bleed you dry.

This is the first time that I've seen the real establishment take a punch in the gut in a very long time. I'm so happy for Britain, you guys are sovereign again! No more being linked to a failing regionality. Your democracy will remain in tact. You'll get to call the shots over your own self-determined state again.

Kudos.

I take it the Brits just love to rip the piss out of pollsters at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stoopid is as stoopid does." (Forrest Gump)

We shall review your comment in two years. The City first - the major banks will be leaving for Paris.

Thank you, thank you, thank you ... we really needed the jobs!

Great Britain was a world power before the EU, and will remain so. Wait until Germany eventually leaves the EU! You'll be crying on that day.

The Telegraph's Tim Stanley waxes rhapsodic, calling this "a vote of confidence in Britain":

No. People wanted to have their say and they did. Up and down the country they defied the experts and went with their conscience. Labour voters most of all: the northeast rebelled against a century of Labour leadership. I am astonished. Staggered. Humbled. I should never have lost faith in my countrymen. Those bold, brave, beautiful British voters.

...When I was leaving my polling station, I said to a chap: “I found voting quite emotional.” He replied that this was the day we got our freedom back. That’s how it feels for millions of Britons. This was the day the British people defied their jailers

The people wanted to have their say, sounds like November when Trump will be elected. The times they are a' changin'.

Good show old chaps, good show!

Telegraph rumour is that Cameron will resign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I've just seen a massive mistake be made.

I wouldn't worry so much. The Brits have a good example to follow in their own backyard who has bucked the trend all along. Switzerland. The Brits will be fine.

You'll get to call the shots over your own self-determined state again.

Take the "Rockies" out of Canada. See what happens.

You are blinding yourself to the fact that the larger the market-economy the more there is for all. It's called "Economic Synergy" and population size is the key ingredient.

For as long as market-economy is shared equitably. And that is where Canada separates itself from the US. The differences between the two nations are key. First of all, you have a National HealthCare System (much, much less expensive than the US, see infographic below) and also a Tertiary Level educational offering whilst not "free" is much less costly than the US.

Average HC costs versus Life Span.jpg

Great Britain was a world power before the EU, and will remain so. Wait until Germany eventually leaves the EU! You'll be crying on that day.

I'm waiting with bated breath for Germany to leave.

Great Britain was a world power. In the 19th century.

Period.

Yet another chapter in the great string of people voting against their own interests.

The British People have made a foolish decision today.

Yet another chapter in the great string of people voting what is best for their Country and thereby, in their own interests.

The British People have made a wise decision today.

Take the "Rockies" out of Canada. See what happens.

You are blinding yourself to the fact that the larger the market-economy the more there is for all. It's called "Economic Synergy" and population size is the key ingredient.

For as long as market-economy is shared equitably. And that is where Canada separates itself from the US. The differences between the two nations are key. First of all, you have a National HealthCare System (much, much less expensive than the US, see infographic below) and also a Tertiary Level educational offering whilst not "free" is much less costly than the US.

When you lose control over your own borders, you're no longer a country, you're a serfdom. Britain will survive without the EU, as Switzerland has done. The EU is a failed neo-liberal experiment. I feel bad for the younger generation that they now have to endure the recoil of this, but it's better than seeing their cultural heritage gradually eroded by foreign political bodies who have no loyalty to them.

The EU is useful economically. Sociopolitically it's problematic. It needs to be reworked to decentralize power. Brussels should not be dictating UK borders. Humanity is not ready for these kinds of regionalities. There is still too much aristocratic and plutocratic control that is inequitable.

Britain is the first country to say no and walk away, and the People decided. This gives me major hope for democracy.

When will Great Britain be reconquering the Empire?

OK, cool.

I'll give you the same challenge I offered JoeTrumps: Please explain, in your own words (ha ha), what the **** the Brexit has to do with Obama and his over-inflated ego. Being a "globalist elite jerk" is not an answer, it's a diatribe.

I don't really have a dog in the fight, but my wife is from Great Yarmouth England, and we are on TeamSpeak with a bunch of her relatives once a week for a few hours. They are a adamant pro Brexit bunch, and a few have been pretty vocal about Obama's perceived interference. Pretty funny bunch of people when they get riled up.

Boris Johnson attacks Obama 'hypocrisy' over Brexit warning | Politics | The Guardian

Obama Slammed as '''Perverse''' by London Mayor over '''Brexit''' - NBC News

Obama's Brexit comments spark controversy in UK - AJE News

Brits to Obama on Brexit: 'Sticking your hooter in' British politics is unwelcome - CNN.com

Good for Britain in wanting stronger sovereignty over their nation and not be subject by bloated EU rule. I'd certainly hope that Obama and the United States will support one of our closest allies and draft deals swiftly.

I hope the people of the UK are able to weather the transition well, and as an American I hope my country will do what it can to ease that transition and recognize the UK as a very very strong and loyal ally with the goal of continued strong relations with the UK as a sovereign country and not as a member of the EU block.

It seems being non EU-members works for the Norwegians and the Swiss.

Last edited:
Good for Britain in wanting stronger sovereignty over their nation and not be subject by bloated EU rule.

Britain wont have stonger sovereignty.. they will have less if they want access to the European common market.

As for "bloated EU rule".. there are 3 times more civil servants in the UK for the British version of the IRS than there are in the whole EU... and local British "red tape" is very bad.

Britain wont have stonger sovereignty.. they will have less if they want access to the European common market.

As for "bloated EU rule".. there are 3 times more civil servants in the UK for the British version of the IRS than there are in the whole EU... and local British "red tape" is very bad.

Hopefully under a strong conservative government they can remove some of that red tape. Britain will certainly have stronger sovereignty in terms of its own trade, immigration, and how it interacts with the rest of the world. The Swiss and the Norwegians seem to be doing fine as non-EU members.

Regardless though, as an American I'd hope to support the UK and recognize that the people of the UK in a majority do not feel that the EU is worth being a member of. It's not a referendum against the US and I think the US should support our strong ally as they have chosen to leave the EU. We'll just have to interact with the UK and the EU as separate entities.

Last edited:
I don't really have a dog in the fight, but my wife is from Great Yarmouth England, and we are on TeamSpeak with a bunch of her relatives once a week for a few hours. They are a adamant pro Brexit bunch, and a few have been pretty vocal about Obama's perceived interference. Pretty funny bunch of people when they get riled up.

Boris Johnson attacks Obama 'hypocrisy' over Brexit warning | Politics | The Guardian

Obama Slammed as '''Perverse''' by London Mayor over '''Brexit''' - NBC News

Obama's Brexit comments spark controversy in UK - AJE News

Brits to Obama on Brexit: 'Sticking your hooter in' British politics is unwelcome - CNN.com

While Obama has had his say, and certain Brits may disagree with it, that's not the point. JT indirectly claimed this was a direct rebuke of Obama, which is laughably stupid. Obama has no control over the UK; its decisions are its own.

Hopefully under a strong conservative government they can remove some of that red tape. Britain will certainly have stronger sovereignty in terms of its own trade, immigration, and how it interacts with the rest of the world. The Swiss and the Norwegians seem to be doing fine as non-EU members.

Regardless though, as an American I'd hope to support the UK and recognize that the people of the UK in a majority do not feel that the EU is worth being a member of. It's not a referendum against the US and I think the US should support our strong ally as they have chosen to leave the EU. We'll just have to interact with the UK and the EU as separate entities.

As long as Norsefire doesn't take over, I'm actually not that upset about this. My main concern is the negative influence on international financial markets right now. The UK has pushed itself into a recession with this decision.

When you lose control over your own borders, you're no longer a country, you're a serfdom. Britain will survive without the EU, as Switzerland has done.

Oh, come off it! There is no economic comparison between the two nations. I have lived in both of them.

The Swiss would not join the EU only because the EU would have forced it to divulge the secret bank-accounts thus depriving Switzerland of one helluva bundle of illicit money for the Swiss economy.

Serfdom? Ridiculous. There was no cloture of borders under Schengen. Now there will be, and we'll see how many Europeans will be flocking to London for the weekend. We'll see.

The EU is a failed neo-liberal experiment.

I'd like to see some real comparative evidence for this above silliness.

Economically, the EU was (until yesterday) a common-market of 510 million individuals and a GDP $18.5T, identical to the US. With a population size 60% larger than the US, so there is room for GDP-expansion.

It also has a standard-of-living equivalent to that the US - and much better if one gives any serious attention to the difference in firearm homicide rates that I have posted above. (Also better off for the nearly free National HealthCare System, or PostSecondary Education.)

Your judgments are entirely selective and have no bearing whatsoever with the hard economic facts of the matter.

Which is why the Brits are going to go into a real economic decline over the net decade, and then come back to the EU whimpering to get in. (As for David Cameron, because of his colossal stoopidity in ill-conceiving the referendum idea, well, he's banned to political ignominy.)

Stoopid is as stoopid does ... (Forrest Gump)

PS: And as a result, these two things will happen:
*Scotland will vote for independence from the UK, and enter the EU as a unique nation.
*Northern Ireland will be asked to vote in a referendum to attach itself or not to the Irish nation.
*Thus leaving just England and Wales - and, believe me, the Welsh are no great fans of the English.
*The British Queen must be boiling ...

Personally I see this as the beginning of the end for the EU.

The Dutch will be next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom