• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Britain likely to tighten US-UK extradition law

Laila

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Britain is likely to overhaul its extradition laws amid concerns the United States is able to fly suspects out of the U.K. with little proof they have committed a crime, a senior government minister said Wednesday.

A review of current laws would propose changes and consider whether the present rules are "unbalanced" in favor of the U.S. and against British citizens, Home Secretary Theresa May said in a statement to Parliament.

It follows worries over high profile extradition cases including hacker Gary McKinnon, who is wanted in the U.S. for allegedly breaking into American military computers, and retiree Christopher Tappin, accused of plotting to sell missile components to Iran

The Associated Press: Britain likely to tighten US-UK extradition law

About time too.
US has taken the piss with this lopsided treaty for too long.

Oooo, USA this, USA that. Terrorist scum are likely to face a bit of punishment and we can't have that! Not from the oil-guzzling eco-murderers!

Under the Lisbon Treaty we have a new 'Night and Fog Decree', under which European citizens can be dispatched to any other EU country to face trial for crimes which may not even exist in the nation in which they were committed! Either that or kangaroo courts will try people for things which are only crimes in FOREIGN countries!

Brussels 'Home Office' plot to snoop on all of Europe | Mail Online

https://www.sott.net/articles/show/...g-you-the-rise-of-Europe-s-surveillance-state

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...can-forget-about-getting-British-justice.html

....And not a word about it. Always America, America, America from the liberal idiots across the country. I'm sick to bloody death of it.

However, you can't deport the REAL vermin: You can't deport 3,000 criminals, EU tells Britain | News

Last edited:
Oooo, USA this, USA that. Terrorist scum are likely to face a bit of punishment and we can't have that! Not from the oil-guzzling eco-murderers!

Under the Lisbon Treaty we have a new 'Night and Fog Decree', under which European citizens can be dispatched to any other EU country to face trial for crimes which may not even exist in the nation in which they were committed! Either that or kangaroo courts will try people for things which are only crimes in FOREIGN countries!

https://www.sott.net/articles/show/...g-you-the-rise-of-Europe-s-surveillance-state

You can forget about getting British justice - Telegraph

....And not a word about it. Always America, America, America from the liberal idiots across the country. I'm sick to bloody death of it.

However, you can't deport the REAL vermin: You can't deport 3,000 criminals, EU tells Britain | News

Stick to the topic which is the UK and US extradition treaty.

The Associated Press: Britain likely to tighten US-UK extradition law

About time too.
US has taken the piss with this lopsided treaty for too long.

The US isn't the chief culprit in this inequitable situation, the New Labour UK government is, or rather, was. Sure there was a lack of reciprocity, but the only ethical course of action for the UK would have been to keep negotiating, rather than to allow the ratification of a treaty that treated their own citizens as less deserving of judicial process than those of the other signatory.

I am very happy the LibCons are doing something about it.

You can forget about getting British justice - Telegraph

Moderator's Warning:
Keep to the topic.

The US isn't the chief culprit in this inequitable situation, the New Labour UK government is, or rather, was. Sure there was a lack of reciprocity--

Have to confess I wasn't as aware as I should have been about this extradition treaty however the more I've read about it the less I like it and how it came to be.

If Britain feels the US is snatching Brits without cause, they should do whatever it is they need to do to address the problem.

But if the US decides that Britain is harboring terrorists, we might just decide to let Britain do without our help.

That's the way life is. Britain has been becoming pro-muslim, pro-Big Brother for the longest time, and maybe it's time for the US to re-think it's reliance on them, anyway. I certainly don't want the US to get dragged into the next European war.

If Britain feels the US is snatching Brits without cause, they should do whatever it is they need to do to address the problem.
Read the article so that you will know what you are talking about.

But if the US decides that Britain is harboring terrorists, we might just decide to let Britain do without our help.
What sick imagination is going on here?

That's the way life is. Britain has been becoming pro-muslim,

Are you saying the US is showing hatred to it's Muslims. This is silly talk.

pro-Big Brother for the longest time,

More silly talk. Our final Big Brother program is over.

and maybe it's time for the US to re-think it's reliance on them, anyway. I certainly don't want the US to get dragged into the next European war.

That'll be right, drag us into two wars, one of which illegal and then start crying like a baby pretending that you were dragged into WW1 and WW2 when both times you joined in for your own interest only.

All these temper tantrums because the UK wants to make it's extradition treaties more relevant and appropriate to it's own citizens and residents? :roll:

That's the way life is. Britain has been becoming pro-muslim, pro-Big Brother for the longest time, and maybe it's time for the US to re-think it's reliance on them, anyway. I certainly don't want the US to get dragged into the next European war.

You should stop watching Fox News and join the real world.

Laila and pete long time no see,how are u both,good to be back to chat with u both.

all the best in the world to you wonderful people from my heart.

my kindest regards to u both

Back
Top Bottom