• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brilliant Jurist, And Professor, Cannot Name All Five Freedoms In First Amendment

skews13.

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Judge Amy Coney Barrett on Wednesday struggled to name the five freedoms that are protected by the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment.

During her confirmation hearing, a Republican senator queried the Supreme Court nominee about her views on the First Amendment.

“What are the five freedoms of the First Amendment?” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) asked.

“Speech, religion, press, assembly,” Barrett replied, counting with her fingers. “I don’t know. What am I missing?”

“Redress or protest,” Sasse offered.

“OK,” Barrett replied.

“Why is there one amendment that has these five freedoms clustered?” Sasse continued. “Why do they hang together?”

“Um, I don’t know what you’re getting at,” Barrett said.

Watch the video below from PBS.

Judge Amy Coney Barrett on Wednesday struggled to name the five freedoms that are protected by the U.S. Constitution’s First Amendment.

During her confirmation hearing, a Republican senator queried the Supreme Court nominee about her views on the First Amendment.

“What are the five freedoms of the First Amendment?” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) asked.

“Speech, religion, press, assembly,” Barrett replied, counting with her fingers. “I don’t know. What am I missing?”

“OK,” Barrett replied.

“Why is there one amendment that has these five freedoms clustered?” Sasse continued. “Why do they hang together?”

I'd love to see Sasse try to rattle off court cases that he's judged without a single note in front of him. Let's just accept the fact that he couldn't do it (if he'd ever been a judge); nor could anyone else in the room. Yeah, she's that ****ing smart, so just drop your feeble attempt to question her abilities, it's sad to watch.

I'd love to see Sasse try to rattle off court cases that he's judged without a single note in front of him. Let's just accept the fact that he couldn't do it (if he'd ever been a judge); nor could anyone else in the room. Yeah, she's that ****ing smart, so just drop your feeble attempt to question her abilities, it's sad to watch.
It's not her abilities or her intelligence that's being questioned. She is in the position to sit on the highest court in the land. Trump has said he wants a judge who will kill the aca and then go after roe v wade and he needs it now before the hearing to kill the aca starts. The gop would not give obama his pick they claimed the people's voice should be heard. Four years later, screw the voice of the people we're ramming this through even though voting has already started. The gop no longer negotiates or acts in good faith. We are america and all of us are taught when young this kind of thing is cheating. It might be ok constitutionally but it sure isn't in the realm of right and wrong. The gop is going to pay dearly for this decision.

wow. i didn't expect that.

i bet the sitting SCJs didn't expect that either.

“OK,” Barrett replied.

I don't even want ACB on SCOTUS, but if this is the best argument against her confirmation then she must have done well.

Give me a break. Judges don't decide cases based on memory recall of what the Constitution says (thank god).

“OK,” Barrett replied.

If someone is going to claim they are going to interpret the Constitution according to the Founders original intent, they ought to know why those rights are clustered together in the very first amendment. Otherwise, they are just blowing smoke and will interpret that document in such a way as to fit their agenda.

“OK,” Barrett replied.

If I had to answer the same question, I would have said there were only two freedoms protected by the 1st Amendment - speech and religion. Everything else is an offshoot of those.

If someone is going to claim they are going to interpret the Constitution according to the Founders original intent, they ought to know why those rights are clustered together in the very first amendment. Otherwise, they are just blowing smoke and will interpret that document in such a way as to fit their agenda.

Then she should make a perfect SCOTUS justice.

[sarcasm intended]

Maybe I'm too sympathetic toward people who are put on the spot like that, but one time a smart-alack reporter asked Albert Einstein how many feet were in a mile. Einstein's reply was (from memory), "Why should I fill my head with things I can easily look up?" That might be an urban legend, but I think it makes a good point.

Now, if the senator had asked Barrett what SCOTUS meant, and she didn't know, THEN I'd be concerned. :)

Then she should make a perfect SCOTUS justice.

Cynicism intended.

“OK,” Barrett replied.

This meme has been pushed, pulled and twisted to wits end.

Many people understood what took place here.

But others can't help themselves.

I get it.

Not her abilities so.much as her point of view.

This is nothing.

“OK,” Barrett replied.

And your point would be . . .? That she got a little flustered under video lights and Congressional examination. BFD.

This was from a NYT article:

When the court reaffirmed Roe in Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992, the justices tethered the right to choose to the recognition that “motherhood has a dramatic impact on a woman’s educational prospects, employment opportunities, and self-determination.”

This is what really bothers me about the SCOTUS.

Since when do they make decisions based on things like this ?

It's pretty simple...the law is constitutional or it isn't.

This sounds a lot like Earl Warren's questions about "Is it right ?".

What does he care ? And who decides ? Is he really going to make a call on the constitution based on whether or not he thinks something is good.

Talk about arrogance.

And if the Times is right, the 1992 court did the same thing.

We elect people to pass laws and we then challenge those laws in court. The SCOTUS is there to measure it against the constitution.

In a piece of crap decision (Roe), Blackmun pulls the same crap.

And your point would be . . .? That she got a little flustered under video lights and Congressional examination. BFD.

Even more so, she was dealing with "set up" questions from the likes of those on the left.

Our current VP showed just how clueless she was in her questioning by starting out with a statement and saying "I'm sure you'll agree with that".

Leading statements.

Barrett didn't bite and said VP looked pretty foolish.

I can see why Barrett was confused. Every question was loaded and she seemed to have to figure out the agenda ahead of time.

Back
Top Bottom