• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bridesmaid Prank Leaves Bride Parapelegic and Unmarried

Ya I'm sure her fiance "looked over her benefits" and "discovered" she'd lose her medicaid benefits, so thats why he "couldn't" marry her.

Then again if she's a paraplegic, there's probably less argueing about how shes "not in the mood."

Hmmm decisions...

That is absolutely horrible.

Y'know though, you don't normally think that pushing someone into a pool is going to paralyze them for life....because normally it doesn't. Heck I've probably done it 100 times, playing around with friends.

I used to be a lifeguard as a teenager, and pushing someone into a pool when they are completely unprepared is incredibly dangerous. It's one thing you are trained to specifically look out for. Most people don't understand that you can suffer impact injuries from entering the water improperly, even if you were only pushed from a few feet away. Not only can the person being pushed instinctively resist and then hit themselves off of the concrete siding, they can also land awkwardly in the water due to tensing up, which causes the injury of tendons and muscles that would otherwise help them compensate once they are in the water. People can actually drown due to this. The risk increases a lot if the deck is wet because they can tumble onto the deck before rolling into the water with impaired consciousness. In most of the pools I worked for, people who pushed others into the water got temporary bans or permanent ones if they did it a second time.

Pushing people into pools for fun is popularized in the media, like in scenes involving patio parties, but in reality it's a really stupid thing to do.

My cousin, at 21, and a friend of his were wrestling/horsing around. His friend picked him up to do a 'suplex' onto the nearby couch when he accidentally dropped him.

*snap*

dead. on the spot. Worse than that was the fact that his little sister was at the same party and had to watch her brother die.

So... I feel for ya Ms. Friedman. I really do.

^^ One of the comments on the site.
I feel demented for thinking its funny.

From other articles I've read, she seems to be a very wonderful and positive person. She used to be an aerobics and dance instructor and volunteered at her local senior center. She says that as hard as this situation is, she still has the perfect life and a great support network. She is still best friends with the girl that pushed her in to the pool. Actually, she has made this a very inspiring story despite her circumstances.

what an extremely sad story to read.

sad story, but uplifting to see that at least one person in America is not "sue happy" because of an accident.

sad story, but uplifting to see that at least one person in America is not "sue happy" because of an accident.

An awful lot of people (people not lawyers) only sue to ensure the same thing never happens again

Medical people have finally found this out - lawsuits are often dropped if the hospital can show it is taking steps to ensure to prevent recurrence.

An awful lot of people (people not lawyers) only sue to ensure the same thing never happens again

Medical people have finally found this out - lawsuits are often dropped if the hospital can show it is taking steps to ensure to prevent recurrence.

I agree in part. There are suits that are stupid (I spill hot coffee because I held it between my legs while driving, I cut a finger off because I used a table saw improperly, I am suing fast food because I am now fat.). To many people take the stance of its not my fault. Accidents do happen.

Medical malpratice is a different ball game or when a manufactor good has a known defect that is not being corrected.

From other articles I've read, she seems to be a very wonderful and positive person. She used to be an aerobics and dance instructor and volunteered at her local senior center. She says that as hard as this situation is, she still has the perfect life and a great support network. She is still best friends with the girl that pushed her in to the pool. Actually, she has made this a very inspiring story despite her circumstances.

She really is amazing as a lot of folks would just become bitter.

I agree in part. There are suits that are stupid (I spill hot coffee because I held it between my legs while driving, I cut a finger off because I used a table saw improperly, I am suing fast food because I am now fat.). To many people take the stance of its not my fault. Accidents do happen.

Medical malpratice is a different ball game or when a manufactor good has a known defect that is not being corrected.

To think in England it all started with a decomposed slug sitting in a bottle of ginger beer!!

The case of Donoghue v. Stevenson[2] [1932] illustrates the law of negligence, laying the foundations of the fault principle around the Commonwealth. The Pursuer, Donoghue, drank ginger beer given to her by a friend, who bought it from a shop. The beer was supplied by a manufacturer under a certain Stevenson in Scotland. While drinking the drink, Ms. Donoghue discovered the remains of an allegedly decomposed slug. She then sued Stevenson, though there was no relationship of contract, as the friend had made the payment. As there was no contract the doctrine of privity prevented a direct action against the manufacturer, Andrew Smith.

In his ruling, justice Lord MacMillan defined a new category of delict (the Scots law nearest equivalent of tort), (which is really not based on negligence but on what is now known as the "implied warranty of fitness of a product" in a completely different category of tort--"products liability") because it was analogous to previous cases about people hurting each other. Lord Atkin interpreted the biblical passages to 'love thy neighbour,' as the legal requirement to 'not harm thy neighbour.' He then went on to define neighbour as "persons who are so closely and directly affected by my act that I ought reasonably to have them in contemplation as being so affected when I am directing my mind to the acts or omissions that are called in question." Reasonably foreseeable harm must be compensated. This is the first principle of negligence.
Negligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom