• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bridal Gift-Basket Sparks Epic Text Battle: Is Wedding Etiquette Dead?

Yeah I would have mailed them a box of Ex-lax with a note apologizing for leaving it out, and based upon their texts, they clearly are suffering from constipation and need it.

Unbelievable. Two of the rudest people on the planet -- the bride and bride.

If people getting married today figure their guests should be covering what they spent inviting them, I'd suggest they just charge an admission to their wedding and be done with it. How awful.

Yeah, **** those people. Some people are just awful entitled pieces of crap. Coincidentally, my stepdad recently got a similar response from his son (who's currently engaged). The son (my stepbrother, though I was out of the house when his dad married my mom) had the gall to suggest that his father pay off the remaining $1500 or so on his car loan as part of his wedding present. Neither my stepdad nor my mom were remotely amused.

Yeah, **** those people. Some people are just awful entitled pieces of crap. Coincidentally, my stepdad recently got a similar response from his son (who's currently engaged). The son (my stepbrother, though I was out of the house when his dad married my mom) had the gall to suggest that his father pay off the remaining $1500 or so on his car loan as part of his wedding present. Neither my stepdad nor my mom were remotely amused.

Can your parents pay off the rest of my motorcycle as part of your brother's wedding gift?

Can your parents pay off the rest of my motorcycle as part of your brother's wedding gift?

I'll see what I can do, but the balance on my student loans gets priority.

If people getting married today figure their guests should be covering what they spent inviting them, I'd suggest they just charge an admission to their wedding and be done with it. How awful.

You obviously aren't in tune with the current entitlement generation. See, this day in age you'd be lucky to get someone to spit on you if you were dying of thirst unless they thought they'd get some kind of material reward for doing so.

Aren't the parents of the bride supposed to pay? This is perfect, there are two brides!

I actually followed a second link to read the entire email exchange in context. Whoa. Those women must have been raised by wolves! Greedy, narcissistic, ungrateful... "wedding gifts are fundraisers to help our financial future..." That comment had me literally in stitches! What a pair of immature losers. I see a speedy divorce in their future, because no marriage can survive two selfish, self-entitled partners!

I loved the part where they used the gift card to buy pasta in his restaurant (that was NOT gluten free :lol: )

I haven't been to a wedding in a while, so I wasn't sure how the tides would turn in this situation - I only knew how I felt. I felt they were wrong - they were entitled, selfish, greedy harpies. As I read the article, and all the goodies they got in the basket, all I could think of was, "What a great gift idea!" I usually make baskets for gifts - "movie night" gift baskets, or gourmet gift baskets, or coffee gift baskets - whatever the recipient likes, I try to accommodate.

I loved the part where they used the gift card to buy pasta in his restaurant (that was NOT gluten free :lol: )

I haven't been to a wedding in a while, so I wasn't sure how the tides would turn in this situation - I only knew how I felt. I felt they were wrong - they were entitled, selfish, greedy harpies. As I read the article, and all the goodies they got in the basket, all I could think of was, "What a great gift idea!" I usually make baskets for gifts - "movie night" gift baskets, or gourmet gift baskets, or coffee gift baskets - whatever the recipient likes, I try to accommodate.

Me too. I thought the gift basket was a great idea. What a couple of snobby, low-class losers.

I usually make baskets for gifts - "movie night" gift baskets, or gourmet gift baskets, or coffee gift baskets - whatever the recipient likes, I try to accommodate.

Note to Superfly: I like herbs...."exotic" herbs :wink:

Note to Superfly: I like herbs...."exotic" herbs :wink:

Yeah, I can hook you up with basil, thyme and rosemary, but I think you wouldn't be interested in those! Your basket might *also* include a copy of Dazed and Confused, a well-worn copy of Dark Side of the Moon, and lots of Little Debbie snack cakes. They were always my munchies of choice. Just don't microwave the Swiss Cake Rolls. They turn into liquid.

What a pair of entitled, greedy, stupid bitches. I think it's in seriously bad tasted to complain about any gift someone gets you. And if they're seriously that concerned about their financial future, maybe they shouldn't have planned a $100 a plate reception.

I tend to avoid this kind of **** by not going to weddings. Ever. I am occasionally forced to break that rule, but I'm never happy about it.

What a pair of entitled, greedy, stupid bitches. I think it's in seriously bad tasted to complain about any gift someone gets you. And if they're seriously that concerned about their financial future, maybe they shouldn't have planned a $100 a plate reception.

I tend to avoid this kind of **** by not going to weddings. Ever. I am occasionally forced to break that rule, but I'm never happy about it.

Maybe they should plan a Greek wedding..where you don't buy the couple gifts..you pin money on them as they dance around..

One of the two brides wrote: "Heyyy I just wanna say thanks for the gift but unfortunately I can't eat any of it lol I'm gluten intolerant. Do u maybe have a receipt[?]"

Moral of the story: Gays are intolerant.

Agree 100%. You invite people to your wedding because you want them to share the happy day with you. If your objective is to reclaim your expenses, then I suggest you tell them in the invitation how much they are required to give you as a gift. You will them most likely spend your special day in a diner looking at each other across the booth over a slice of apple pie and cup of coffee. Cause you have proven you are not worth the effort.

Not gonna lie...I fully expect that some of the people who attend our wedding will bring gifts or cash. I didn't create a wedding registry for my health, after all...it's just tradition. But we're not inviting people for the gifts or cash, I'm not putting anything over $100 on my registry list, and there will be no instructions on the invitations regarding gifts.

Ultimately, if we get nothing...I don't care. We're paying for this ourselves, it's our day, and the people attending will already be driving 1.5 hours out of the way to get to the venue...so their willingness to even BE there is amazing.

People who pitch a fit over somebody else's generosity are just...sickening. Show a little humility and gratitude, FFS.

Last edited:
Not gonna lie...I fully expect that some of the people who attend our wedding will bring gifts or cash. I didn't create a wedding registry for my health, after all...it's just tradition. But we're not inviting people for the gifts or cash, I'm not putting anything over $100 on my registry list, and there will be no instructions on the invitations regarding gifts.

Ultimately, if we get nothing...I don't care. We're paying for this ourselves, it's our day, and the people attending will already be driving 1.5 hours out of the way to get to the venue...so their willingness to even BE there is amazing.

People who pitch a fit over somebody else's generosity is just...sickening. Show a little humility and gratitude, FFS.

I feel the same way..

Marriage shouldn't be so difficult or even a difficult situation.

If I ever get hitched I will elope and plan an epic after party at some point.

I feel the same way..

Marriage shouldn't be so difficult or even a difficult situation.

If I ever get hitched I will elope and plan an epic after party at some point.

We've considered eloping. My fiance's mom is a little bit of a monster-in-law over the wedding, and I'm not super excited about dealing with her in that regard. She's trying to almost double our guest list (we're trying to keep it under 50, but she wants to invite about 25 additional people, plus their guests, because they're important to HER...though not necessarily to US). She's also offered to help pay, which is thoughtful, but I'm afraid that money comes with conditions.

I don't want to be difficult, but she's not in a position to help (she's being laid off in July and has no plans at this point for a replacement position), and I have several legitimate reasons for keeping the event intimate. I have extreme anxiety in situations where I'm surrounded by unfamiliar people, and I don't know ANY of the people she wants to invite. I'm already a little eeked out about being the center of attention with people I DO know, so having strange eyes on me just makes me feel ill. Additionally, since we ARE paying for it ourselves, I don't really have the money to feed so many people, or even seat that many people. We got really lucky with our venue, because one of my dad's clients is letting us use their lake house and we're gonna rent the house next door ($500), which will provide lodging for the wedding party since they'll probably stay over night the day before the wedding.

Wow. That is about as tacky as one can get. Fund raising for our future? Someone should get them a $50 savings bond that doesn't mature for 20 years, with both their names on it just for spite.

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago, second marriage for both. The invitation specifically said No gifts please, your presence is your gift to us. So a bunch of us all chipped in and made sure their honeymoon hotel room was upgraded, and a dinner at the fanciest restaurant nearby was paid for. It was appreciated by the newlyweds.

First weddings I give cash, not by any set rules, but make sure my meal is covered and then some. Not once has any one done what those two in the OP did, or I would have told them exactly what I thought of it.

Wow. That is about as tacky as one can get. Fund raising for our future? Someone should get them a $50 savings bond that doesn't mature for 20 years, with both their names on it just for spite.

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago, second marriage for both. The invitation specifically said No gifts please, your presence is your gift to us. So a bunch of us all chipped in and made sure their honeymoon hotel room was upgraded, and a dinner at the fanciest restaurant nearby was paid for. It was appreciated by the newlyweds.

First weddings I give cash, not by any set rules, but make sure my meal is covered and then some. Not once has any one done what those two in the OP did, or I would have told them exactly what I thought of it.
This made my day!

Back
Top Bottom