• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Breyer makes it official: He’s leaving the Supreme Court on Thursday at noon

What are you talking about? He announced he would be retiring months ago. His replacement has already been approved by the Senate.
From the article
The highly anticipated decision was met with a collective sigh of relief by Democrats, who feared the possibility of losing the seat to a future Republican president should the 83-year-old jurist ignore an intense pressure campaign from the left, which urged him to leave the court while Biden had a clear path to replace him.

He doesn’t like the disrespect being shown to the court.

He’s cutting bait.
or perhaps there are some ashles on the court he can no longer tolerate being around

Justices should be term limited. 15-20 years is plenty, with no allowance for renomination.
I absolutely agree. I would lean toward 20 years, as that's plenty of time to finish a career, and being 5 presidential terms, it would be impossible to try to time a replacement.

I think it would also be good to allow for them to go to a senior status, allowing them to fill in as federal judges, or even take on district administrative functions in the event of a vacancy.

or perhaps there are some ashles on the court he can no longer tolerate being around
Who cares?

I just hope Biden doesn’t screw this pic up by naming it. It doesn’t have to be something. Just pic someone and STFU

Who cares?

I just hope Biden doesn’t screw this pic up by naming it. It doesn’t have to be something. Just pic someone and STFU
You do know his replacement has already been nominated and approved...don't you?

--

Justice Breyer makes it official . . .
Wise decision. This ensure Biden can nominate and the senate can confirm prior to the November election. If the Republicans were able to gain the senate, there would be no Biden nominee getting confirmed. Perhaps a lesson learned from Ginsberg who wouldn’t retire when Obama was president and the Dems controlled the senate. A very wise decision by Beyer indeed.

Wise decision. This ensure Biden can nominate and the senate can confirm prior to the November election. If the Republicans were able to gain the senate, there would be no Biden nominee getting confirmed. Perhaps a lesson learned from Ginsberg who wouldn’t retire when Obama was president and the Dems controlled the senate. A very wise decision by Beyer indeed.
Ketanji Brown Jackson was already confirmed.

Umm...

He doesn’t like the disrespect being shown to the court.

He’s cutting bait.
Not at all, he was voluntold to leave. The left was not about to get RBG'd again. Her hubris saw her staying on the court until it was too late to replace her with a like-minded nominee.

With that said, thank you for your service and I hope you enjoy retirement.

Our mandatory retirement age is 75 which I think is reasonable. Life terms is dangerous in my view.
I think it shojuld be 75, or a term of 20 years, which ever comes first.

Pushed out? I do think there was a lot of pushing, but I think it might have been counter-productive.
I think Breyer saw that the Democrats might lose the Senate and if they did a solid leftist could not be confirmed.
It was the wise choice, but the woman who replaced him can never fill his shoes. (He might not have retired if he had known how terrible his replacement was going to be.)

I don't agree with Breyer on much, but he was by far the most intelligent liberal on the bench.
This is the second time in recent years that the smartest leftist has been replaced with an idiot. (Actually the third time.)

He will be missed. It will be interesting how silly the leftists will sound now that the most rational of them is gone.

We might spend the next term with the three leftists trying to figure out if they are women or not.

All we do know is that they will vote 100% as a block. Not one of the three will ever be able to think for herself.

The six actual Judges will base their opinions on their understanding of the law so two of them will go with the leftists on occasion.

I will miss Breyer. I think he tried to do right. The three women will make their decisions based on what the Washington Post tells them to do.

The left never recovered from losing William J. Brennan. He was a great liberal Justice who could make silly ideas seem rational.

Ginsburg was the most intelligent woman to ever sit on the bench. The left was hurt when she left. Not as great as Brennan, but very good, actually excellent.

Now it is Breyer. Not in the class with the other two, but a very good justice. He is as far ahead of his fellow leftist Justices as Brennan and Ginsburg were but that isn't saying much with the poor quality Leftist Justices we have today.

The Democrats have gone with far-left ideology and sacrificed the intelligence and ability to think we saw from Brennan and Ginsburg.

This will hurt them.

Last edited:
He made the specific date official today but he said in January he was going to retire after this session.

I don't doubt it, but the OPs article made a point of mentioning pressure from the left. It isn't unexpected.

Back
Top Bottom