• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brexit, Texit, Yes California and Second Vermont Republic

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Emboldened by Brexit, U.S. secessionists in Texas are keen to adopt the campaign tactics used to sway the British vote for leaving the European Union and are demanding “Texit” comes next.

We intend to mimic that process here in California by putting an independence referendum on the ballot so we can exercise our right to self-determination and vote to leave or remain part of the American Union,” said Louis Marinelli, president of the secessionist group, the Yes California Independence Campaign.

read the rest

Seems we once fought a civil war over this issue, but that was a long time ago. Should states be allowed to leave the union and go their own way?

There are two ways one or more of our states can leave the union - revolution and amending the Constitution specifically to allow secession.

read the rest

Seems we once fought a civil war over this issue, but that was a long time ago. Should states be allowed to leave the union and go their own way?

well, I belive there should be a legal mechanism to peacefully and equitably disassociate with a union a State no longer wants to be a part of ... but then again, I don't really see self determination as a bad thing... i kinda like the idea of choosing your own government instead of being forced to be a subject of one you are opposed to.

Secession talk in Texas is fringe, more a gag than anything serious. Same with Cali and Vermont, actually, even more so.

The fact that this got published on a major news site is sad.

Besides, there is no right to secession and never will be. And we already know what the penalty for trying to circumvent that reality is.

Should states be allowed to leave the union and go their own way?

Nope. Want to leave the USA? Move to a different country.

read the rest

In a word? Yes.

However, it should not be by a simple majority of those who choose to vote.

It should be set up as a vote requiring the participation of all citizens of voting age within the state, and also requiring a 3/4th majority for the vote to succeed.

Still, I think to successfully do this there must be a Constitutional Amendment enacted first, outlining the process whereby a State may rightfully secede from the Union.

Last edited:
read the rest

No. Been there, done that.

Texas does have an interesting and unique situation though. Still, no. Of course, a Constitutional Amendment could change that.

read the rest

I'll not add to the good opinions below on the Texas secession specifically, but will opine that with all the bitter divide that still often occurs between those above & below the Mason Dixon Line, that perhaps we all might have been happier if we let the break of 1861 result in two autonomous but friendly countries?

And Clinton is going to win in November so we can look forward to 8 more years of Texas's sh1t and whining because they don't like who's in the WH.

God what a bunch of whiny babies.

I'll not add to the good opinions below on the Texas secession specifically, but will opine that with all the bitter divide that still often occurs between those above & below the Mason Dixon Line, that perhaps we all might have been happier if we let the break of 1861 result in two autonomous but friendly countries?

It seems to me the right of secession is the ultimate state's rights issue.

And Clinton is going to win in November so we can look forward to 8 more years of Texas's sh1t and whining because they don't like who's in the WH.

If you are so certain of this outcome, why do you feel the need to raise this opinion so often?

The thread is about whether or not Texas (or any other State) should be allowed to peacefully secede should the majority of citizens vote to do so.

Perhaps a response that addresses this question?

If you are so certain of this outcome, why do you feel the need to raise this opinion so often?

The thread is about whether or not Texas (or any other State) should be allowed to peacefully secede should the majority of citizens vote to do so.

Perhaps a response that addresses this question?

Actually I don't think I've said Clinton will win for sure that often. I think she will, but I've often said if the economy crashes, like it did in 2008, then anything is possible, including a Trump win.

But my point is 99% of the Texas secession talk is because there's a Dem in the WH they don't like. And when Clinton wins in November we're in for 8 more years of Texas whining and moaning because they don't like who's in the WH.

I'm almost to the point of wishing they leave. I'm sure they think they can easily go it alone. But without DC's money, and WS money, etc., it will be very hard. But people seldom look at all sides when they vote on just emotion.

Actually I don't think I've said Clinton will win for sure that often. I think she will, but I've often said if the economy crashes, like it did in 2008, then anything is possible, including a Trump win.

But my point is 99% of the Texas secession talk is because there's a Dem in the WH they don't like. And when Clinton wins in November we're in for 8 more years of Texas whining and moaning because they don't like who's in the WH.

I'm almost to the point of wishing they leave. I'm sure they think they can easily go it alone. But without DC's money, and WS money, etc., it will be very hard. But people seldom look at all sides when they vote on just emotion.

Well, the current Texas secessionist movement actually started in the 1990's, so I don't think it is as completely tied to whether a Democrat is President or not as you think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_secession_movements

I'm almost to the point of wishing they leave. I'm sure they think they can easily go it alone. But without DC's money, and WS money, etc., it will be very hard. But

Amen to that.

If Texas were to leave, we'd have two fewer Republican senators in Congress. That would be the main difference. Oh, and you'd need a passport to cross the border into and out of Texas, if that is, they could get their act together to control the border. Given the length of it, it would be difficult for them.

Well, the current Texas secessionist movement actually started in the 1990's, so I don't think it is as completely tied to whether a Democrat is President or not as you think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_secession_movements

Who was the Prez in the 1990's?

And according to your link secession talk started up again, in 2009 with Rick Perry.. 2009? Sound familiar.. And then again the talk started up big time in 2012. (from your link' After the 2012 presidential election, bumper stickers and signs saying "secede" began appearing in Texas')

I'm sure there is talk of secession in non-Dem in the WH years. But let's be honest. It heats up a lot when there's a Dem in the WH.

read the rest

Abso****inglutely!

Seattle rules the state in liberals douchebag voters, leaving many in southern and eastern Washington w/o good representation. It's one sided.

Same for Portland Metro and the rest of Oregon.
Same for LA/SF vs. the rest of Calif.
Same for Las Vegas vs. the rest of Nevada
Same for metro Colorado vs. the rest of the state
And on and on................

Southern Or. and Northern Calif, were in the process of forming the State of Jefferson, when WWII broke out, halting proceedings. I for one sure wish they had gotten it done.

Last edited:
read the rest

Texas can go, but only if they take Oklahoma and Louisiana with them. All except for New Orleans. As in the Civil War, we'll hold on to that.

well, I belive there should be a legal mechanism to peacefully and equitably disassociate with a union a State no longer wants to be a part of ... but then again, I don't really see self determination as a bad thing... i kinda like the idea of choosing your own government instead of being forced to be a subject of one you are opposed to.

Fully agree.....And Texas has it's own power grid in place.

Secession talk in Texas is fringe, more a gag than anything serious. Same with Cali and Vermont, actually, even more so.

The fact that this got published on a major news site is sad.

Besides, there is no right to secession and never will be. And we already know what the penalty for trying to circumvent that reality is.

Nope. Want to leave the USA? Move to a different country.

How about forming new states? To separate us from all the liberal douchebags.

In a word? Yes.

However, it should not be by a simple majority of those who choose to vote.

It should be set up as a vote requiring the participation of all citizens of voting age within the state, and also requiring a 3/4th majority for the vote to succeed.

Still, I think to successfully do this there must be a Constitutional Amendment enacted first, outlining the process whereby a State may rightfully secede from the Union.

Then let's get the ball rolling. I'm so sick and tired of arrogant, liberal assholes!

Thanks for no contribution to the OP...

It seems to me the right of secession is the ultimate state's rights issue.

Yes indeed.

When Trump wins, maybe we can bring this country back together after obozo divided it so badly!

Amen to that.

If Texas were to leave, we'd have two fewer Republican senators in Congress. That would be the main difference. Oh, and you'd need a passport to cross the border into and out of Texas, if that is, they could get their act together to control the border. Given the length of it, it would be difficult for them.

Nope. The Texas Rangers and states' militia would roust those criminals and eradicate them, one way or another. They won't be ***** footin around like obama and Lynch are doing!

Who was the Prez in the 1990's?

And according to your link secession talk started up again, in 2009 with Rick Perry.. 2009? Sound familiar.. And then again the talk started up big time in 2012. (from your link' After the 2012 presidential election, bumper stickers and signs saying "secede" began appearing in Texas')

I'm sure there is talk of secession in non-Dem in the WH years. But let's be honest. It heats up a lot when there's a Dem in the WH.

For Bloody Good REASON!

It's a nice idea in theory

Abso****inglutely!

Seattle rules the state in liberals douchebag voters, leaving many in southern and eastern Washington w/o good representation. It's one sided.

Same for Portland Metro and the rest of Oregon.
Same for LA/SF vs. the rest of Calif.
Same for Las Vegas vs. the rest of Nevada
Same for metro Colorado vs. the rest of the state
And on and on................

Southern Or. and Northern Calif, were in the process of forming the State of Jefferson, when WWII broke out, halting proceedings. I for one sure wish they had gotten it done.

What you say is true, but are you speaking of states seceding, or of splitting states into smaller states? Here, there is a semi serious proposal to carve the state of Jefferson out of southern Oregon (get away from Portland voters) and Northern California (get away from San Francisco and LA voters) Could be we'd wind up with a lot more states.

When Trump wins, maybe we can bring this country back together after obozo divided it so badly!

Nope. The Texas Rangers and states' militia would roust those criminals and eradicate them, one way or another. They won't be ***** footin around like obama and Lynch are doing!

For Bloody Good REASON!

The rest of us may have to deal with illegals from Texas.

Back
Top Bottom