• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brexit Result?

Brexit Result?

• Total voters
I personally think Bremain will win by a very narrow margin.

What does that have to do with the EU exactly?

That is one of the gripes. Too many EU citizens make the safety nets too expensive in downturns. That at least is the impression the British got in the last crisis are said to have left the immigrants jobless in droves.

Remain will win, even if that's not what the majority actually wants. They will do a revote, or use ridiculous scare tactics to have people vote against what they really want, ect. I personally hope they vote to exit the EU as it's plainly obvious that countries are going to lose their sovereignty over time to a bunch of unelected appointed officials that will continue to attack and limit the ability of any country to make decisions for themselves.

There is literally no reason to exit.

They will still be subject to EU regulations if they expect to trade with the EU, so they can choose to abide by regulations they're already compliant with, or they can collapse their economy because of rhetorical nonsense like your reply above.

No, but it will silence it for one generation if the Quebec referendums are anything to go by.

Maybe, but Britain v EU is a much different subject then Quebec v Canada. UK will be just fine without EU, Quebec would collapse without Canada.

Result should start coming after polls close - 2200 BST- British Sumner Time
11 Am EDT
Not long to go.

There is literally no reason to exit.

They will still be subject to EU regulations if they expect to trade with the EU, so they can choose to abide by regulations they're already compliant with, or they can collapse their economy because of rhetorical nonsense like your reply above.

False, we trade with the EU and don't have to follow all of their rules. Furthermore, I guarantee they have trade with China who absolutely don't follow much of their rules. You say there is no reason but there is a very obvious one, sovereignty. Maybe you don't care about self determination but that's important to a lot of people.

Well your post said:

You are saying that the government will take away stuff if they vote leave. What is being taken away? The EU does not give out free stuff.

I'm saying the nanny government of the UK is invested in keeping the EU and that they have been threatening the populace with all sorts of gloom and doom, including the loss of economy and benefits if they vote to leave.

As long as I can still watch Dr. Who on the BBC I don't care what they do.

False, we trade with the EU and don't have to follow all of their rules. Furthermore, I guarantee they have trade with China who absolutely don't follow much of their rules. You say there is no reason but there is a very obvious one, sovereignty. Maybe you don't care about self determination but that's important to a lot of people.

Then again China and the EU have to pay tarrifs in order to do so. And when trade with the EU makes up a large proportion of your imports and exports a small tarrif can be a big deal. Not to mention that the EU would have an insentive to charge very high tarrifs in order to set an example for other countries that may be inclined to leave.

I see the UK/EU relationship similar to a relationship between a US state and the federal government. Sovereignty is important but after WW2 Europe was in a unite or die situation and now they are so intertwined they can't easily be untangled.

Which side will win?

That side.

"If Britain were to leave the EU, it would face a difficult dilemma: having to negotiate access to the EU’s single market in exchange for continued adherence to its rules – or losing access in return for regulatory sovereignty that would be largely illusory."

https://www.cer.org.uk/sites/defaul...nts/pdf/2014/pb_britishtrade_16jan14-8285.pdf

What do you think the result of the EU Membership Referendum will be tomorrow? Personally, I see that the polling' pretty tight, with Leave just slightly ahead, but often the undecideds break for the status quo so I'm thinking Remain wins by a hair.
I don't know enough about this to guess. I just heard about it Monday. It is interesting though. I never really think of Europe being rebellious.

That is one of the gripes. Too many EU citizens make the safety nets too expensive in downturns. That at least is the impression the British got in the last crisis are said to have left the immigrants jobless in droves.

Well from the source that was provided to me, unbelievably by a leaver, says that migrants are less likely to need assistance than UK citizens. Also, who do you think pays into those programs to help keep them running? Migrants, they pay taxes in the UK, they help fund those programs that native born Britons benefit more from.

I'm saying the nanny government of the UK is invested in keeping the EU and that they have been threatening the populace with all sorts of gloom and doom, including the loss of economy and benefits if they vote to leave.

Yeah, that is what leaving a trading bloc that you rely on for your trade does, your economy will be hit. They are just stating facts.

It'll be Remain, but I'm hoping the margin is large enough to put away the Leave for good.

Maybe, but Britain v EU is a much different subject then Quebec v Canada. UK will be just fine without EU, Quebec would collapse without Canada.

The UK relies heavily on EU trade, and if you leave that market, who else are they going to trade with? The UK is going to be stuck with the EU no matter what it does. All leaving will do is create animosity and upset the economy and force jobs and investment to leave.

It'll be Remain, but I'm hoping the margin is large enough to put away the Leave for good.

That's my worry. Similar to the Scottish vote, it comes up time-after-time.

Latest exit polling I saw shows 52% remain.

The polls are now closed.

Baloney you don't have to follow all of the EU's rules.

The USA is not in the EU either, but we in the American electronics industry still following their rules. All of our products must be marked with RoHS status advising hazardous materials (lead/cadmium), which is an EU directive launched in 2002, or else cannot export any electronics into the EU.

In fact we wouldn't be able to sell our product to most American companies either, because even if both the OEM and the end customer are Americans, most businesses in America still follow the RoHS EU directive.

Let's take note that as the polls close and no results are in the DP BrainTrust goes 79/21 stay.

Now we see how smart we are.

Or Aren't.

Last edited:
Looking like turnout has been very high, despite the traditional British Summer weather. Farage has just been quoted by the BBC as saying he expects a remain victory. Is he playing mind games, or being a natural pessimist?

Back
Top Bottom