• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brexit most likely outcome say pollsters, betting markets and Labour

The Brits have repudiated Obama's advice and told him to "get lost". His "stay in" advice tipped the scales to "exit".

The democrats and the republicans should join forces to support Britain's choice.

I don't see why we have to be pinned so tightly to the wild fancies of bankers trading numbers. It's not like the UK is going to vaporize or it's industries will dry up. Yet traders the world over go crazy, and somehow the rest of us are pulled along. Even if they exit, it's months...perhaps even up to two years, to get things sorted for an exit...even if they do exit. Tomorrow is going to be the same as today.

10% of the UK's economy is finance that is very heavily reliant on the EU. It's industries very possibly might dry up as they have no reason to stay, manufacturing will leave, finance will leave, and the sectors that support them. Not to mention the political turmoil this will cause. It is very likely Scotland will become independent now.

Hasn't Scotland often threatened to leave the UK? I think that was the plot of Bravehart.

They came very close last year but this more than likely pushed them over the edge.

Hasn't Scotland often threatened to leave the UK? I think that was the plot of Bravehart.

They voted it down by just a hair only a couple years ago. If it comes up for a vote now... they will most definitely leave.

The Brits have repudiated Obama's advice and told him to "get lost". His "stay in" advice tipped the scales to "exit".

The democrats and the republicans should join forces to support Britain's choice.

Lol... its Obama's fault!!!!!!!

You ODS guys are ridiculously hilarious.

Well I think that worked out rather well. What do you think?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...0cd642-397d-11e6-af02-1df55f0c77ff_story.html

Pound takes ‘Brexit’ battering; Asian markets down

BEIJING — Asian markets took a hit in early Friday trading, spooked by the British pound’s roller-coaster fluctuations as the votes from the referendum on European Union membership were tallied.

In Sydney the ASX 200 opened up, but then quickly dropped about 2.4 percent. Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 followed a similar trajectory, rising slightly then dropping 1.5 percent over two hours. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index fell more than 3 percent.

The rocky start to Friday trading sparked fear of further losses. U.S. stock futures dipped Thursday night, as did London’s FTSE futures.

Markets live: Pound falls to three decade low as Britain votes Leave in EU referendum

Pound falls to three decade low as Britain votes Leave in EU referendum

10% of the UK's economy is finance that is very heavily reliant on the EU. It's industries very possibly might dry up as they have no reason to stay, manufacturing will leave, finance will leave, and the sectors that support them. Not to mention the political turmoil this will cause. It is very likely Scotland will become independent now.

Please, the UK existed for quite some time before the EU and it will exist outside of it too. And tomorrow, it's still part of the EU. It will take some time to call into action the leaving process, and they have up to two years to try to figure out things including the renegotiating of trade agreements and such. But the UK has done all of this before, the UK predates the EU. People are freaking out, but it's not as bad as some want to make it to be. If they leave, we'll all figure out how to deal with it.

It is not goign to be two torpedoes, it is going be an entire fleet worth.

Indeed. The Pound will probably fall 187% against the Dollar, followed by a complete collapse of British production, and the large-scale movement of the entire finance industry out of London, across to Brussels. As the contagion spreads, the DOW will likely fall by about 3,000 points when the US power grid goes down, and we all have to return to subsistence farming to survive.

Britain is the worlds 5th largest economy. The apocalyptic visions put out by the Bremain Fear Project, I think, are to be taken with an exceedingly large grain of salt.

Indeed. The Pound will probably fall 187% against the Dollar, followed by a complete collapse of British production, and the large-scale movement of the entire finance industry out of London, across to Brussels. As the contagion spreads, the DOW will likely fall by about 3,000 points when the US power grid goes down, and we all have to return to subsistence farming to survive.

Britain is the worlds 5th largest economy. The apocalyptic visions put out by the Bremain Fear Project, I think, are to be taken with an exceedingly large grain of salt.

Well, whether or not we all become rape-cannibals in the Mad Max apocalypse, one thing is for sure: rich people are about to get a ****-ton richer.

So this is how zombie apocalypse starts. Hope you're happy England!

Please, the UK existed for quite some time before the EU and it will exist outside of it too. And tomorrow, it's still part of the EU. It will take some time to call into action the leaving process, and they have up to two years to try to figure out things including the renegotiating of trade agreements and such. But the UK has done all of this before, the UK predates the EU. People are freaking out, but it's not as bad as some want to make it to be. If they leave, we'll all figure out how to deal with it.

I think you underestimate truly how huge this is. A lot of UK industries are based on EU membership and with that gone they have no reason to stay. Companies shave already said they would leave the UK. They just cannot have the uncertainty. Why stay in the UK and have your future up in the air when you can move to Paris or Dublin and for sure can rely on being in the EU?

The only saving grace is that parliament is technically not obligated to honour the results of the referendum.

Is anyone claiming apocalypse is eminent now? Cause I don't see that claim anywhere in the thread other than from sarcastic straw man posts.

I think you underestimate truly how huge this is. A lot of UK industries are based on EU membership and with that gone they have no reason to stay. Companies shave already said they would leave the UK. They just cannot have the uncertainty. Why stay in the UK and have your future up in the air when you can move to Paris or Dublin and for sure can rely on being in the EU?

I think people are overestimating truly how huge this is. Everything can be negotiated, countries have been doing things like this for centuries. People are acting like this is neigh the end of the world. It's not. It's not even going to be different tomorrow. It's going to take a long time to organize the exit from the EU.

Finance industry already has plans to leave, they rely on Euro trading they cannot have the uncertainty. The pound is already in free fall and will probably decline further. There will be recession in the UK.

Is anyone claiming apocalypse is eminent now? Cause I don't see that claim anywhere in the thread other than from sarcastic straw man posts.

If those companies do wish to leave England over this I bet the benefactor will most likely be scotland... making their move not too far.

So for those who've been following the whole Brexit thing, did this really start because of anti-immigration sentiments?

I think people are overestimating truly how huge this is. Everything can be negotiated, countries have been doing things like this for centuries. People are acting like this is neigh the end of the world. It's not. It's not even going to be different tomorrow. It's going to take a long time to organize the exit from the EU.

It is partly that uncertainty that will destroy the UK economy, you can't have that massive uncertainty in the corporate world. The UK has now become too risky to do business in.

So for those who've been following the whole Brexit thing, did this really start because of anti-immigration sentiments?

Pretty much.

Reuters is calling it. Brexit has passed.

If those companies do wish to leave England over this I bet the benefactor will most likely be scotland... making their move not too far.

It is actually Ireland and France that will see most of it. It was HSBC that said they would move to Paris and others were saying Dublin.

Back
Top Bottom