• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brexit: Expats denied say in EU referendum due to missing postal votes demand re-run

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
From the Independent

Anger is growing among countless British expats who say they have been “disenfranchised” in the EU referendum because their postal votes failed to arrive.

Since The Independent revealed the scandal on Thursday, more than 100 people have said they had confirmation that they registered within the Government’s deadline but never received the ballot.

There were demands for an immediate investigation as the number of those known to be affected continued to grow, with some calling for a re-run of the referendum.

Christina Watkins, who lives in Normandy, told The Independent she had spoken to many other British friends in France who did not receive their postal votes.

I was on Reddit this morning and found this. As well as users posting pictures of postal votes both closed and opened on streets of London on the day of the vote. Looks like possibly millions of people had their vote "lost" or wrongly denied to them in the first place. This is significant because expats, especially those in the EU are most likely Remain voters, they could have shifted the balance. I think this is enough for Parliament to call into question the validity of the referendum.

Re: Brexit: Expats denied say in EU referendum due to missing postal votes demand re-

From the Independent

I was on Reddit this morning and found this. As well as users posting pictures of postal votes both closed and opened on streets of London on the day of the vote. Looks like possibly millions of people had their vote "lost" or wrongly denied to them in the first place. This is significant because expats, especially those in the EU are most likely Remain voters, they could have shifted the balance. I think this is enough for Parliament to call into question the validity of the referendum.

It's probably only sour grapes and people that didn't learn on the playing fields of Eaton, but it should be looked into. But everyone is thrashing around right now and trying to grab the spin for their prejudice.

Re: Brexit: Expats denied say in EU referendum due to missing postal votes demand re-

Brit expats are lucky, American expats like me are subjected to double taxation, not just disenfranchisement!

From the Independent

Why does this issue matter to non-Brits?

Brit expats are lucky, American expats like me are subjected to double taxation, not just disenfranchisement!

Part of the reason American citizenship sucks. I would get rid of that as soon as possible.

~ like possibly millions of people had their vote "lost" or wrongly denied to them in the first place ~

I think that will be an exaggeration, a lot of the expats I saw interviewed on British TV were very Brexit. They didn't care if their position was an oxymoron to possible continued stay in Spain and France. That's excluding people like Chagos and Andalublue.

Obviously I know and am in touch with others who were "remain" but like I say, most expats and people with 2nd homes overseas wanted the UK out of the EU.

Why does this issue matter to non-Brits?

It is a very big thing for the UK and Europe. Part of the reason this thread is in the Europe section. I am part of the Empire so it partly concerns me at least.

It is a very big thing for the UK and Europe. Part of the reason this thread is in the Europe section. I am part of the Empire so it partly concerns me at least.

But why? What difference does it make to you?

But why? What difference does it make to you?

Part of the reason I wanted UK citizenship was to get EU citizenship. Unless you are Irish there is no easier way into the EU. Now that factor is gone. Not to mention my family ties.

Part of the reason I wanted UK citizenship was to get EU citizenship. Unless you are Irish there is no easier way into the EU. Now that factor is gone. Not to mention my family ties.

So its not really out of any loyalty to England but to the EU. Perhaps that is why most Brits voted to leave.

So its not really out of any loyalty to England but to the EU. Perhaps that is why most Brits voted to leave.

No it is, it is just that they have lost one of the big advantages of being British.

Taxes I understand, but how have you been disenfranchised?

I think that will be an exaggeration, a lot of the expats I saw interviewed on British TV were very Brexit. They didn't care if their position was an oxymoron to possible continued stay in Spain and France. That's excluding people like Chagos and Andalublue.

Obviously I know and am in touch with others who were "remain" but like I say, most expats and people with 2nd homes overseas wanted the UK out of the EU.
Gives rise to scepticism over the general claim of travel widening the horizon.

I know a bunch of the former down here and the only reason (I think) they didn't start throwing punches in discussions is that I'm 6'2 and pushing 90 kgs. Plus, as my wife used to say, lowering the room temperature by 2 digit degrees in the face of idiocy.

I never believed that but with the years I'm thinking maybe she had something there. I sure don't get invited to tea that often any more. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom