• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

brexit and the metric system

would britain dump metric following a brexit

• No

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • They may go dual standard

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • They are going to rejoin the eu

• Yes I want my food in pounds and my fat butt measures in stones

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well metric does not have to round, it can very easily get more accurate without having to pull out a calculator and mess with fractions. It is not practical to use fractions and have decimals. Why not just use one to begin with? What if you need to convert to bigger or smaller units? You are guaranteed to lose accuracy.

Not exactly, since no measuring tape or ruler is metric will handle fine fractional measurement like 33.333 how is it more accurate? Second you do not need a calculator to mess with fractions, I use fraction every single day at work, and have no calculator. This brings me to the assumption metric countries are so poor at math they have to dumb it down because no one could calculate math unless it was in divisions of ten. This is almost proven by the fact you kept trying to use standard measurement as decimal, most likely meaning you are unable to calculate fractions.

Just change a sticker or grandfather them in. And as far as I know military equipment and computers are usually in metric to begin with.

Most military equipment in the us is still in standard.

Not exactly, since no measuring tape or ruler is metric will handle fine fractional measurement like 33.333 how is it more accurate? Second you do not need a calculator to mess with fractions, I use fraction every single day at work, and have no calculator. This brings me to the assumption metric countries are so poor at math they have to dumb it down because no one could calculate math unless it was in divisions of ten. This is almost proven by the fact you kept trying to use standard measurement as decimal, most likely meaning you are unable to calculate fractions.

Maybe because decimals are practical, they are accurate. Decimals are show numbers work. I can go down to 33.333cm with a tape measure if I really wanted to but no one has ever need to. No one cares if their screwhole is off by 1 micrometre. How would you measure something of say 33.45 inches. YOu know it is close to 33 and 1/2 but not quite it is 33 and 9/10 you would have to take the time to do that or you could just measure out the equivalent in metric without having to do any math at all. I should not have to do any math when measuring something out to figure out the fraction. But when I do do math, which is far more advanced than anything you have ever done clearly, fractions are impactical and iditoic. Do you know what 235689/2436 feet is? I know it would be 96.752. Most elementary school rulers go down to mm, which is about as accurate as most people would need, and I know what that is in cm and then m too. Much more accurate then any imperial ruler I have ever seen.

Most military equipment in the us is still in standard.
The U.S. military uses metric measurements extensively to ensure interoperability with allied forces, particularly NATO Standardization Agreements (STANAG). Ground forces measure distances in "klicks", slang for kilometers. Most military firearms are measured in metric units, beginning with the M-14 which was introduced in 1957,[32] although a few legacy exceptions exist, such as .50-caliber guns. Aircraft ordnance is normally measured in pounds. Heavy weapon caliber is measured in millimeters. Military vehicles are generally built to metric standards. An exception is the U.S. Navy, whose guns are measured in inches and whose undersea fleet measures distances in terms of "kiloyards" (equivalent to 914.4 m), depth as "feet", and velocity, in some cases, as "feet per second". The Navy and Air Force continue to measure distance in nautical miles and speed in knots; these units are now accepted for use with SI by the BIPM.[36] Furthermore, in military aviation NATO countries use feet for flight heights, as they do in the civilian aviation.

From Wikipedia, took 3 seconds.

Maybe because decimals are practical, they are accurate. Decimals are show numbers work. I can go down to 33.333cm with a tape measure if I really wanted to but no one has ever need to. No one cares if their screwhole is off by 1 micrometre. How would you measure something of say 33.45 inches. YOu know it is close to 33 and 1/2 but not quite it is 33 and 9/10 you would have to take the time to do that or you could just measure out the equivalent in metric without having to do any math at all. I should not have to do any math when measuring something out to figure out the fraction. But when I do do math, which is far more advanced than anything you have ever done clearly, fractions are impactical and iditoic. Do you know what 235689/2436 feet is? I know it would be 96.752. Most elementary school rulers go down to mm, which is about as accurate as most people would need, and I know what that is in cm and then m too. Much more accurate then any imperial ruler I have ever seen.

If the measurment is the 33.45 inches and exact measurement is needed, it is measured by feet then inches, with the last inche measured in thousandths. Just the same If 33.333 was needed, I would use the 1 meter mark on a tape measure, which is one third of 3 meters, which you somehow never caught. Further decimal measurements are near impossile on a tapemeasure pst standard measurements, most construction workers do not have severely loaded tape measures to figure 3.292 meter measurements on a tape measure, as any manufacturor who was not huffing paint would put it in simple centimeter or meter measurments, not oblong measurements, the same goes for fractional.

From Wikipedia, took 3 seconds.

But the military has all it's vehicles in mph, measures height and weight in feet inches and pounds, and measures it's pt standards by mile not kilometer. the only parts metric are click and and ammunition size, and whatever else meets the bare minimum, otherwise the militarynstill uses standard measurements.

The us uses imperial standard, albeit modified but fairly close to british imperial. Canada has much of it's older generation and even over 25 well versed in imperial standard. The us does not have to make two different products, most of what we make and sell overseas just lists standard and metric measurements.

Like for example if we make a car that is also sold in canada, we put mph first, than a second set underneath in kph. When you but a can of coke, it says 12 ounces, then next to it 355 ml. I so no reason the british or any other country could not do it.

Actually they'll just put on a different plate over the Speedometer to emphasis Kmh. It's not an expensive modification for them to make. They don't sell cars in Canada with mph emphasized.

I wish they would drop the metric system, but they won't. Ya' notice that every science documentary you see these days uses the metric system?

Thank you Jimmy Carter. Won't be long before it's taught in American schools as measurement.

Why do you wish Britain would drop the metric system? It's a superior system, works better by any, um, metric.

It would be a stupid move to revert from the metric system.

However, it was my opinion that brexit was a stupid move, so i can't rule it out from that.

Why do you wish Britain would drop the metric system? It's a superior system, works better by any, um, metric.

Our way is an easier way. We built a nation with it.

I bring this up after watching on tv some shops in britain were selling things in british standard and metric instead of just metric after news of the brexit.

Most british people I have met, as well as canadians and australians, over the age of 25 were quite fluent in the imperial standard, even though those countries adopted metric in the 60's and 70's, they learned from their parents, and people did not drop what they learned because law said a new standard came about.

But with the brexit, and the rejection of european trade rules, do you think britain might end up abandoning metric and returning to the imperial standard that most of their older population is familiar with?

dont see how it would make life better for them would make life harder when dealing wiht metric using places aka most of the planet

Our way is an easier way. We built a nation with it.

Really.
Do this, off the top of your head. My chainsaw uses a gas-oil mix of 50-1. In metric, I know that 100- 1 would be 10 ml. per litre, so 50-1 is 20 ml. per liter. How many ounces per gallon is 50- 1?

And by 'our way' do you mean the British Imperial system?

Really.
Do this, off the top of your head. My chainsaw uses a gas-oil mix of 50-1. In metric, I know that 100- 1 would be 10 ml. per litre, so 50-1 is 20 ml. per liter. How many ounces per gallon is 50- 1?

1 gallon = 128 ounces

1=2.56 ounces

1 gallon = 128 ounces

1=2.56 ounces

Not here. There's about 150 ounces to a gallon in the Imperial system. That's part of the reason a universal measurment system makes sense. Metric, everything in multiples of ten, just makes sense.

Not here. There's about 150 ounces to a gallon in the Imperial system. That's part of the reason a universal measurment system makes sense. Metric, everything in multiples of ten, just makes sense.

A perch is one rod by one rod, a rood is one rod by one furlong, and an acre is one furlong by one chain.

Nothing hard there, i could drink a hogshead of wine and still remember that !

No, because metric is just simply better and not only that they would have to pay to change things back and write new textbooks. They would have to manufacture two different products, one for use in the UK and for export. The metric system is just better because it itself is standard used to define other standards. Also what about those under 25 who never learned imperial? If the US changed we could just have one standard of measurement for pretty much the entire world.

There's really no reason to convert to metric.
It's more convenient for the average person living here and often just more practical.

The same goes for F and C.
F is often just more practical, C less so.

There's really no reason to convert to metric.
It's more convenient for the average person living here and often just more practical.

The same goes for F and C.
F is often just more practical, C less so.

How is imperial more practical? Fahrenheit is entirely arbitrary to me and to science.

How is imperial more practical? Fahrenheit is entirely arbitrary to me and to science.

Average everyday life of regular people aren't "sciencing."
We have all the tools present to keep using the Imperial system, why change it?

F is more precise that C, for all practical matters.

Average everyday life of regular people aren't "sciencing."
We have all the tools present to keep using the Imperial system, why change it?

F is more precise that C, for all practical matters.

You are not going to notice the difference between 20C and 21C, also decimals are a thing.

You are not going to notice the difference between 20C and 21C, also decimals are a thing.

Why should we switch when we can just keep using the same system.

ucOQh.jpg

It's just more practical to keep it as is.
I don't why there is this drive to do all things Europe.

The metric system is better. I can easily count by 10. Counting by 12 or 3 or 4 or 8 or 32 or whatever is a pain in the ass. The only reason to not use the metric system is because people are too damned lazy or afraid to change.

I wouldn't want to go back to this. The bane of my schooldays.

2016-07-11 20_17_23-exercise.jpg

Why should we switch when we can just keep using the same system.

ucOQh.jpg

It's just more practical to keep it as is.
I don't why there is this drive to do all things Europe.

It is not just Europe it is literally the rest of the world. Also why do you need to go form 0-100? I know 20 is nice day, 25+ is too hot, and anything in the negatives is cold.

It is not just Europe it is literally the rest of the world. Also why do you need to go form 0-100? I know 20 is nice day, 25+ is too hot, and anything in the negatives is cold.

Because there is considerable variance between 5 points.
For me 85F is not terribly hot, while 50F is around my cut off for cold.
Between all that is how I gauge what to wear.

I know what these temps feel like and don't have to convert them, no guess work.

Because there is considerable variance between 5 points.
For me 85F is not terribly hot, while 50F is around my cut off for cold.
Between all that is how I gauge what to wear.

I know what these temps feel like and don't have to convert them, no guess work.

That is the same with Celsius, you learn to know what each feels like. For a lot of people 25 is comfortable but not of me. Why do you need such a big scale with numbers that mean nothing?

Back
Top Bottom