• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brett Favre, and a Tale of Corruption in Mississippi

multivita-man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Am surprised this hasn't apparently (as far as I can tell) been discussed, but this is a growing story down in Mississippi involving an apparent state/federal welfare funds scheme that was, among other things, designed to greatly benefit a popular former QB by the name of Brett Favre.

“It doesn’t look good.”

Former Gov. Phil Bryant’s own words about his role in the state’s welfare fraud scandal are a great understatement.

No, indeed it doesn't look good when it can be demonstrably proven that the Republican ex-governor misdirected well in excess of one million dollars - money that had federal taxpayer origins.

Here's where it gets interesting, and I would think for all the players involved, legally ominous.

It’s unclear where any continuing federal or state investigations stand at the three-year mark. No further arrests have been made since February of 2020. Interim Southern District U.S. Attorney Darren J. LaMarca and the U.S. Department of Justice declined comment.

This has raised questions, in particular, about state Auditor White, who spearheaded the initial investigation and charges with a local DA — for eight months — without involving federal authorities despite the case involving millions of federal welfare dollars. White has explained that he made arrests to stop the flow of funds to the allegedly corrupt nonprofits and afterward turned all evidence over to federal authorities.

In 2020, when those initial arrests were made, there was a different attorney general and a different DoJ involved, one beholden to right wing politics and causes. Now that this story is kicking up some more smoke, it'll be interesting to see if the DoJ takes a second look at this scandal - because they should.

The Mississippi corruption story has finally found it’s way to the cable stations. I think I heard that 94 million dollars have gone missing.

The Mississippi corruption story has finally found it’s way to the cable stations. I think I heard that 94 million dollars have gone missing.

This is screaming for a federal indictment and prosecution.

Back
Top Bottom