• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Breonna Taylor shooting: Fired Louisville officer indicted on criminal charges

Unfortunate but legally beside the point. The police were fully justified in defending themselves and neutralizing the threat. And btw, they had no idea who was armed and who was not, but they knew someone shot at them.

How was it possible to not know who was armed and who was not? I am still waiting for proof of that.

I'm afraid you're moving the goalposts. In this case Taylor was standing next to someone shooting at police who were serving a lawful warrant. "Caught in the middle of a shootout in the grocery store" is not the same thing.

What goalposts are you talking about?

So what you're saying is if you are standing next to someone who has an outstanding warrant against them and the police shoot you instead, you're good with that.

The reason was she was standing next to her boyfriend who shot the cop in the leg. Ladies, STEP AWAY from your boyfriends when they engage in gunfire with the police.

An you know she didn't try to get away in that split second....how?

They knocked and announced themselves as police. He shot one of them anyway.
That's what low IQ thugs do.
Actually, they may be quite smart. You know, YouTube, city payout, fame, CNN,... Now, I am jealous.

So it is perfectly OK that a woman was killed just because "things happen" in gunfights? You make her seem like a very unimportant person with that statement.
Collateral damage, she made poor choices which resulted in her death. If Breona had been white would there be all this attention, would a white Breona's family be $20,000,000 richer?

What goalposts are you talking about?

So what you're saying is if you are standing next to someone who has an outstanding warrant against them and the police shoot you instead, you're good with that.
I'm saying that if the person next to me fired on the police and the police returned fire then the police aren't culpable in any case.

Sorry you don’t think most Americans have guns to protect themselves and their property?

I asked you where you got the idea most Americans have guns. That is absolutely not true. Homeowners protect their properties by locking all exterior doors. Many people have alarm systems. Another common method is having guard dogs. If a burglar comes in the night, or when nobody is home, guns are totally useless.

There is no need to prove anything beyond what is already known.

Whether police were able to see Walker and Taylor or not must be proven. It is never acceptable to shoot five times in the direction of a sound without a particular target.

You just do not want to prove this extremely important detail.

Whether police were able to see Walker and Taylor or not must be proven. It is never acceptable to shoot five times in the direction of a sound without a particular target.
On the contrary, in close-quarters self defense it's perfectly justified to shoot at the sound.

Court records show that Louisville police obtained a warrant with a no-knock provision for Taylor's apartment approved by Jefferson Circuit Judge Mary Shaw, though police and prosecutors have said that the officers knocked and announced themselves before breaking down the door.

That's interesting and it contradicts what the police said yesterday.

Court records show that Louisville police obtained a warrant with a no-knock provision for Taylor's apartment approved by Jefferson Circuit Judge Mary Shaw, though police and prosecutors have said that the officers knocked and announced themselves before breaking down the door.

That's interesting and it contradicts what the police said yesterday.
It's what they said from the beginning.

I still don't understand how people can't separate emotions from the law.

Per the AG's report:
- they had a warrant in which they knocked and announced themselves (keep in mind the 3 officers were not involved in obtaining the warrant)
- they got shot at
- they returned fire

The outcome was extremely tragic but there is absolutely no basis to claim that the officers should be charged with murder or anything at all really. The Wanton Endangerment charges are fair imo as those shots were wreckless although they did not hit or injure anybody.

If you want to argue that the no-knock warrant should have never been granted, that's a very fair argument and steps have already been taken to address that. The AG mentioned creating a special task force for warrants going forward. But at the end of the day 3 officers were told to execute a warrant, did so in proper fashion per the investigations, were fired upon, and fired back, end of story. The outcome was tragic but how else do you expect the officers to respond when being shot at?

Not fine, but sometimes bad things happen and no one is at fault.

If a cop deliberately decides to shoot someone, he IS at fault.

Until you prove the cop had absolutely no way of knowing an unarmed person was standing next to the person who shot him, obviously the safe assumption is he DID see her and definitely KNEW returning fire would result in a wrongful death.

If a cop deliberately decides to shoot someone, he IS at fault.

Until you prove the cop had absolutely no way of knowing an unarmed person was standing next to the person who shot him, obviously the safe assumption is he DID see her and definitely KNEW returning fire would result in a wrongful death.
Nope. That's not the way it works.

I still don't understand how people can't separate emotions from the law.

Per the AG's report:
- they had a warrant in which they knocked and announced themselves (keep in mind the 3 officers were not involved in obtaining the warrant)
- they got shot at
- they returned fire

The outcome was extremely tragic but there is absolutely no basis to claim that the officers should be charged with murder or anything at all really. The Wanton Endangerment charges are fair imo as those shots were wreckless although they did not hit or injure anybody.

If you want to argue that the no-knock warrant should have never been granted, that's a very fair argument and steps have already been taken to address that. The AG mentioned creating a special task force for warrants going forward. But at the end of the day 3 officers were told to execute a warrant, did so in proper fashion per the investigations, were fired upon, and fired back, end of story. The outcome was tragic but how else do you expect the officers to respond when being shot at?

The person they shot didn't fire on them. That is the problem here.

I think most people prefer that the police know who they are shooting at. There could have been a toddler standing there. Most people value human life, and "shoot first and ask questions later" is so 1886.

You just do not want to prove this extremely important detail.

Yep, I'd at least expect if the police are going to start firing guns they have a target in sight and can rule out hitting people close to them.
That doesn't exactly sound like a controversial rule.
The police are supposed to be trained and have a tiny bit of restraint not just unleash lead in the general direction of something bad happening.

Back
Top Bottom