• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Breonna Taylor shooting: Fired Louisville officer indicted on criminal charges

508.060 Wanton endangerment in the first degree. (1) A ...
apps.legislature.ky.gov › law › statutes › statute

PDF
(1) A person is guilty of wanton endangerment in the first degree when, under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life, he.
flying a plane over a parade and dropping bricks and not hitting anyone.
Except the police were wrong. They did break into her house and did murder her in her bed. It was her house and the suspect didn't live there. There really is no perfuming that pig.
where do you get off claiming it was MURDER?

That's exactly what the cops did. What's your point? Are you going to justify breaking and entering next?
The police didn't fire first. They returned fire. The boyfriend didn't identify his target and began indiscriminately shooting at cops. It lead to a shootout and an unfortunate death. If he had taken a second to find out what was going on instead of shooting at the first thing he saw, hopefully this situation would have ended without needless death.

There is always something to prove. Nobody knows without proof whether an obvious murder was justified or not.
lots of you people need to brush up on what the term "Murder" means in terms of the law

The police didn't fire first. They returned fire. The boyfriend didn't identify his target and began indiscriminately shooting at cops.

Why don't you support the Castle Doctrine?

I don't hate cops but I probably would if I were Breonna Taylor and I was shot 5 times in my own house for no reason.
do you think the police who were not charged, were justified in returning fire after Sgt Mattingly was wounded.=?

Why don't you support the Castle Doctrine?
I don't support indescrimante firing of guns inside apartment buildings at targets someone has not identified. Imagine if instead of the cops it was just a confused neighbor who was at the wrong door? If castle doctrine allows people to shoot at police officers serving a warrant then I think that particular state law needs to be amended.

I don't support indescrimante firing of guns inside apartment buildings at targets someone has not identified. Imagine if instead of the cops it was just a confused neighbor who was at the wrong door? If castle doctrine allows people to shoot at police officers serving a warrant then I think that particular state law needs to be amended.

So you think that Castle Doctrine has gone too far?

Lots of you people need to brush up on what the term "murder" means in terms of the law.

I know what the word murder means. If the cop chose to shoot Kenneth Walker, that was his choice. If he chose to shoot Breonna Taylor, that was his choice. So in order to not be murder, the police have to prove they had no way of knowing the person who opened fire was Walker, not Taylor.

So you think that Castle Doctrine has gone too far?
I don't know. I'd love to read the text of the law you're referring to before offering thoughts on it.

You're not suggesting that the boyfriend should be charged for indiscriminately shooting at people he didn't identify inside of an apartment complex, are you?

I don't know. I'd love to read the text of the law you're referring to before offering thoughts on it.

You're not suggesting that the boyfriend should be charged for indiscriminately shooting at people he didn't identify inside of an apartment complex, are you?

This isn't rocket science. He had reason to believe that he and his girlfriend's life were in imminent danger. Which, it turned out, they were.

The police didn't fire first. They returned fire. The boyfriend didn't identify his target and began indiscriminately shooting at cops. It lead to a shootout and an unfortunate death. If he had taken a second to find out what was going on instead of shooting at the first thing he saw, hopefully this situation would have ended without needless death.

I don't believe for a second that the next door neighbors could hear them identifying as the police and the guy behind the door where they were shouting the police, didn't.

I know what the word murder means. If the cop chose to shoot Kenneth Walker, that was his choice. If he chose to shoot Breonna Taylor, that was his choice. So in order to not be murder, the police have to prove they had no way of knowing the person who opened fire was Walker, not Taylor.
don't ever sit for any bar exam/ You clearly haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Too much? Not enough?
It is difficult for me to determine if it is too much or not enough.

I know that Breonna Taylor was at that time, according to police knowledge, a drug dealer. She was holding and delivering money, holding and delivering drugs, for her ex-boyfriend with whom she still had a business arrangement. Though she was not on the streets herself doing wholesale and retail drug dealing, she was nevertheless, as the police evidence indicated, part of the operation, administratively and from a warehousing aspect .. as a drug dealer.

That's the reason the police were there in the first place. And, because they suspected she was part of the operation, that's why they were initially provided a no-knock entry (though it was changed to a knock-announce and then force entry right before the action took place).

So the grand jury determines yes, they did announce, they did knock, then they immediately rammed the door down, around midnight, and both Taylor and her new boyfriend were awake, I think I recalled that they were both dressed, and it all happened so fast that her boyfriend fired a shot first and hit one of the three police officers in the leg.

So the police officers, having reason to think they were in a drug dealing den, started shooting back at the people in front of them with the gun from where the shot originated.

I don't know how many officers fired how many shots. I read one account where 20 shots were fired.

Somehow the boyfriend missed being hit as he hit the ground .. leaving Taylor exposed.

I would surmise the grand jury found that the return fire in the direction of the gun that fired at them caught Taylor who was apparently not on the ground .. hitting her six times .. as the quick, quick action of the police returning fire in self-defense ended her life.

Then, I'm surmising, the one officer indicted for wanton endangerment went down the hall firing into the other rooms as he approached the entrances to them, the bathroom, and others, his bullets penetrating the walls and coming close to hitting other people in the adjoining apartments .. .. for which he was indicted.

The other two police officers were not indicted.

No officer was indicted for anything linked to Taylor's death.

So, what is her death ruled? Not a murder. Not a manslaughter. I'm curious. But, whatever it is, it is clearly in association with her being a criminal suspect.

I guess, as I talk this out, it is just really, really sad for Taylor, that she couldn't make the decision to leave the drug dealing business .. that got her killed. It sounds like she had a promising life otherwise in healthcare.

I think the grand jury made the right decisions. The officer who fired into the other rooms without first making sure there was anyone there to fire at endangered the lives of adjacent-apartment people, and he did so wantonly, beyond recklessness, they concluded.

But no charges on the other two officers .. and, do they even know whose bullets hit Taylor -- it was probably from multiple guns .. and I believe, all circumstances considered, no charges on the other two officers is the right decision.

The officers were properly executing a lawful warrant.

Not if they saw Breonna Taylor and shot her directly. Not if it was an arrest warrant and they decided to shoot the drug dealer instead.

This isn't rocket science. He had reason to believe that he and his girlfriend's life were in imminent danger. Which, it turned out, they were.
Did he? I mean, yes, shooting at police officers does often put one's life in danger, I suppose. And create grave danger for the people in your immediate proximity. Probably best to not do that, if it can be avoided.

I don't believe for a second that the next door neighbors could hear them identifying as the police and the guy behind the door where they were shouting the police, didn't.
It's possible. Probably unlikely, but possible. Best to not shoot until one is sure of what they are shooting at, for sure.

Did he? I mean, yes, shooting at police officers does often put one's life in danger, I suppose. And create grave danger for the people in your immediate proximity. Probably best to not do that, if it can be avoided.

Thanks for the useless piece of advice. Now how do you propose dealing with home invaders? And don't say "but they were cops," cause Kenneth did not know that at the time.

Thanks for the useless piece of advice. Now how do you propose dealing with home invaders? And don't say "but they were cops," cause Kenneth did not know that at the time.
One could call the police, I suppose. Retreat to a defensible area, barricade the door and call the police like a reasonable person, maybe. Got to be better options than shooting everyone who knocks on your door at night.

Back
Top Bottom