• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brentwood School’s n-word problem: “Is this what $40k worth of private ed. gets you?

Ahlevah

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Brentwood School’s n-word problem: “Is this what $40k worth of private ed. gets you?"

Here’s what a private school education in an exclusive neighborhood apparently won’t buy your kids — the understanding that not everything in the culture is for them.

The $37,725 a year Brentwood School in Los Angeles has made headlines this week after a video from a group calling itself Brentwood Students Against Racism was posted on Monday. It begins with the school’s motto: “Welcome to Brentwood. Start curious. Stay curious. Go anywhere,” and quotes its “Core values: Trust, Respect, Responsibility, Honesty, Caring, Community and Diversity.” It then mentions that “3/120 kids in the 10th grade are Black — 50% less than the 2014-2015 year.”

Brentwood School's n-word problem: ?Is this what $40k worth of private education gets you?? - Salon.com

What I see are kids singing a rap song (albeit, a crude one). Why is this racist, and why isn't everything in the culture (even if it's filth) for them?

Last edited:
Re: Brentwood School’s n-word problem: “Is this what $40k worth of private ed. gets y

What I see are kids singing a rap song (albeit, a crude one). Why is this racist, and why isn't everything in the culture (even if it's filth) for them?

It's not racist. It's kids singing a (to me) very stupid song. I guess Barry Bonds doesn't believe that white kids should be able to enjoy black music. That is the only thing I can see as racist in this.

Re: Brentwood School’s n-word problem: “Is this what $40k worth of private ed. gets y

Sounds like this:

Actress Blake Lively faced accusations of racism and cultural insensitivity after posting a photo of her behind on Instagram on Wednesday captioned with a lyric from “Baby Got Back,” Sir Mix-a-Lot’s 1992 ode to the derrière.

“L.A. face with an Oakland booty,” reads the caption to Lively’s post of herself in a gold dress at the premiere of her new film Cafe Society. The post drew over 25,000 comments, many of which accused the actress of appropriating black culture and making light of body image issues facing women of color.
?She?s saying she?s proud of her butt?: Sir Mix-a-Lot weighs in on Blake Lively ?booty-gate? - Salon.com

THis is all about that new grievance "cultural appropriation", which most of the time is about killjoys squealing when other people are having too much fun.

It's not racist. It's kids singing a (to me) very stupid song. I guess Barry Bonds doesn't believe that white kids should be able to enjoy black music. That is the only thing I can see as racist in this.

I guess he had to say something that was preferable to explaining why he was sending his daughter to an exclusive, racist "white" school.

I think this is part of the "Cultural Appropriation" assault by progressive SJWs.

Sounds like this:

?She?s saying she?s proud of her butt?: Sir Mix-a-Lot weighs in on Blake Lively ?booty-gate? - Salon.com

THis is all about that new grievance "cultural appropriation", which most of the time is about killjoys squealing when other people are having too much fun.

No, it's worse. Her sin was referring to her ass as an "Oakland booty." That does come off as a microaggression. ;)

Malibu's Most Wanted

Most reputable private institutions create a separation between the school and students involved in damaging public relations. Possibly by offering an opportunity to withdraw or by expulsion, without a refund BTW.

Last edited:

The song also talks about doing coke but there is no similar outrage about that.

Racism is a problem in this country but this is just kids singing to a song they like. The number one consumer of hip hop is young white people. And people are going to sing to the music they like.

Intent is important. Of course, self awareness is also important. While I have been known to sing along 2Pac or NWA when driving alone in my car, I would never allow it to be recorded and posted on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom