• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brent Bozell On Voter ID: "The Only Thing That's Being Repressed Is People Cheating

Re: Brent Bozell On Voter ID: "The Only Thing That's Being Repressed Is People Cheati

He's either a liar or very ignorant. There is no evidence whatsoever people are voting illegally, but there's plenty of evidence that shows people are being disenfranchised by these voter id laws.

Brent Bozell On Voter ID: "The Only Thing That's Being Repressed Is People Who Are Cheating" | Video | Media Matters for America

Can you explain to me how giving to everybody a state issued ID, paid for from the budget, a cheap plastic card, replaced every 10 years starting from 14, is going to suppress liberals and minorities and help the GOP. And i mean explain it. Don't do what James D Hill does, and that's just repeat the same rhetoric. I mean explain it like it makes sense.

Re: Brent Bozell On Voter ID: "The Only Thing That's Being Repressed Is People Cheati

We have voter ID laws in 2014 elections in at LEAST 36 states.

Maybe more will enact laws prior to November 2014.

Voter law is State Rights.

Enough citizens in more than 60% of States think IDs are necessary. Ergo, they ARE necessary.

Will there be a dramatic turnout in 2014?

I hope so.

People talk about dis-enfranchising blacks or poor.
How about the great majority of citizens so convinced elections are rigged, they don't even try to vote?
Let's hope voter IDs re-assure them and they re-engage!

Charging fees to get government issued IDs in order to vote is a poll tax. Poll taxes are unconstitutional.

Poll tax (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Carolina republicans tried to impose a poll tax on the parents of college students...

Republican Legislators in NC Propose $2,000 - $2,500 'Poll Tax' for Parents of Student Voters

"..The measure, which passed the House in a 81-36 vote, would require voters to show a state-issued ID in order to vote. It would also make student IDs from public colleges a legal form of identification, but not student IDs from private institutions, and it would tax the parents of college students who register to vote in the state where they are attending school. The changes would go into effect in 2016 if the bill becomes law..."

North Carolina Voter ID Opponents React To Bill's Passage, Vow To Continue To Fight

"...More than 300,000 registered voters in North Carolina could lack either a driver's license or a state ID, according to records from the State Board of Elections. And in Bertie County, almost 10 percent of all voters fall into that category, according to an analysis by Democracy North Carolina. Most of them are poor African-Americans.

Many residents in Bertie County possess photo identification for food stamps, but that ID doesn't qualify under the new law. Supporters of the legislation say even if you don't have a valid photo ID, you can still vote absentee. But you need two witnesses to sign your ballot. And you have to fill out a county elections form.

That might not sound like a big deal, but Horton says that can be a real obstacle for poor people. You're talking about voters who don't have Internet access in their homes, who will need hand-holding to get a ballot.....
In Rural N.C., New Voter ID Law Awakens Some Old Fears : NPR

Charging fees to get government issued IDs in order to vote is a poll tax. Poll taxes are unconstitutional.

Requiring someone to have an ID to purchase a gun is unconstitutional as well. Do you object to that, or is that one of those "oh, that isn't so bad" things?

Can you explain to me how giving to everybody a state issued ID, paid for from the budget, a cheap plastic card, replaced every 10 years starting from 14, is going to suppress liberals and minorities and help the GOP. And i mean explain it. Don't do what James D Hill does, and that's just repeat the same rhetoric. I mean explain it like it makes sense.

If the state ID is free and not a undue burden to get, then thats fine. But that isn't the case in many of those states with new voter ID laws. Especially if you don't have a car or internet access or a birth certificate. Many poor people don't have cars or internet access and if they were born at home then it likely they don't have a birth certificate either and many poor blacks were born at home. The burden and fees to get a birth certificate in order to get a state issued ID in order to vote is an undue burden and probably unconstitutional since there are a lot fees required to get a birth certificate in order to get an ID in order to vote.

Requiring someone to have an ID to purchase a gun is unconstitutional as well. Do you object to that, or is that one of those "oh, that isn't so bad" things?
Why is it unconstitional to show an ID to purchase a gun? The second amendment doesn't say anything about purchasing a gun. The constitution doesn't guarentee that you can or will purchase a gun...only that you have the right to keep and bear arms. Guns have to be manufactured before you can buy one and there are no guarentees that guns will be manufactured so you can buy one.

Guns are like property and you have the right to exercise the right to own property but the constition doesn't guarentee that you will.

Last edited:

Why is it unconstitional to show an ID to purchase a gun?

shall not be infringed

My ability to keep an arm is dependent on my ability to purchase one. No infringing.

You haven't proven that it's unconstitutional to show an ID to buy a gun.

Look at the post above yours.

The point is, you're very broad and absolutist about voting but not guns. That's inconsistent. You use the constitution as a political tool. You're willing to invoke it or throw it away at partisan convenience.

Last edited:

My ability to keep an arm is dependent on my ability to purchase one. No infringing.
Then show me the law that says private companies have to manufacture guns so you can purchase one.

Then show me the law that says private companies have to manufacture guns so you can purchase one.

"Shall not be infringed", not "shall be provided".

You think being free of government interference means the government must insure you get things? What a strange and pervasive confusion.

Last edited:

Look at the post above yours.

The point is, you're very broad and absolutist about voting but not guns. That's inconsistent. Your concern with the constitution is merely a political tool and not really any concern for the rights guaranteed therein. You're willing to use it or throw it away at partisan convenience.
There is a 24th amendment against poll taxing the right to vote. What do you have to prove that guns will be manufactured for you to purchase so you can exercise your right to own one?

There is a difference between exercising a right and a guarenteed right that you will exercise a right. For instance, you have the right to exerise your right have an abortion, but there isn't any protection or guarentee that you will have access to one or that you will even have one. That is why many states are able to make access to abortions so difficult. Whereas there is a constitutional amendment protecting the right to vote without being poll taxed. Some states are trying to skirt that constitutional protection by means of requiring fees to purchase a birth certificate in order to get an ID to vote. But it is still a poll tax because you can't get a government issued ID without paying fees to get a birth certificate and if you don't have a government ID, you can't vote.

With abortions and guns all you really have is the right to exercise the right... not a guarentee that you will have access to exercise the right or that you will exercise the right.

Last edited:

"Shall not be infringed", not "shall be provided".

You think being free of government interference means the government must insure you get things? What a strange and pervasive confusion.
You're the one who thinks the government has to manufacture guns so you can have access to exercise your right to buy and own one.

Last edited:

And you haven't proven that it's unconstitutional to show an ID to vote... or drink, or work, or get a lease, or drive, or any of the thousands of things you need an ID for.

I think IDs should be subsidized for low income families, but you claiming that this is some sinister plan is ridiculous. Where are these people without IDs living if they can't get a lease, a job, or drive?

He's either a liar or very ignorant. There is no evidence whatsoever people are voting illegally, but there's plenty of evidence that shows people are being disenfranchised by these voter id laws.

Brent Bozell On Voter ID: "The Only Thing That's Being Repressed Is People Who Are Cheating" | Video | Media Matters for America

Complete and utter nonsense. You can't really do anything, to include getting a lease or getting a job in 2013 without an ID. An ID is so standard that it's not an undue burden on anybody.

And you haven't proven that it's unconstitutional to show an ID to vote... or drink, or work, or get a lease, or drive, or any of the thousands of things you need an ID for.
I showed the 24th amendment that prohibits a poll tax. If a fee is required to get an ID to vote then that could be considered a poll tax to vote.

I think IDs should be subsidized for low income families, but you claiming that this is some sinister plan is ridiculous. Where are these people without IDs living if they can't get a lease, a job, or drive?
Read the NPR link I provided.

Complete and utter nonsense. You can't really do anything, to include getting a lease or getting a job in 2013 without an ID. An ID is so standard that it's not an undue burden on anybody.
The right to exercise certain rights is not a guarentee that you "will" exercise certain rights. For instance, you have the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness but there are no guarentees that you won't be killed or put in jail or be happy.

Last edited:

that's as silly as saying a company has to manufacture printing presses so you can publish something

Here in Ohio several people were convicted of voting fraud

that's as silly as saying a company has to manufacture printing presses so you can publish something
Thats probably why I didn't say it.

The freedom of the press is supposedly a guarenteed right...but the government can still put a sales tax on newspapers and the purchase of printing presses, paper and the income of journalists.

Thats probably why I didn't say it.

The freedom of the press is supposedly a guarenteed right...but the government can still put a sales tax on newspapers and the purchase of printing presses, paper and the income of journalists.

the bottom line is-a denial of the ability to purchase a gun infringes on the second amendment when a GOVERNMENT engages in the denial

the bottom line is-a denial of the ability to purchase a gun infringes on the second amendment when a GOVERNMENT engages in the denial
The right to keep and bear arms doesn't mean you will. That would be like saying the government has to provide you the arms, so you can keep and bear them.

If you can't afford to buy a gun, then is the government infringing on your right to own and use one?

Last edited:

I showed the 24th amendment that prohibits a poll tax. If a fee is required to get an ID to vote then that could be considered a poll tax to vote.

Read the NPR link I provided.

The right to exercise certain rights is not a guarentee that you "will" exercise certain rights. For instance, you have the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness but there are no guarentees that you won't be killed or put in jail or be happy.

I guess if they have to buy shoes, shirts, and pants to walk to the voting location, that must be a poll tax because they needed it to vote.

IDs are a basic requirement of life in our society, you can't do anything without it. This is one of the thousands of other things that require an ID, and I don't see you crying about a single other thing.

You have not proven that it is unconstitutional to prove identity or residency in order to vote either. Strange how this becomes an issue in only red/southern states, while no huge outcry occured when the state of Indiana did the exact same thing (strict use of a valid, state issued, photo ID) in 2005.

The right to keep and bear arms doesn't mean you will. That would be like saying the government has to provide you the arms, so you can keep and bear them.

If you can't afford to buy a gun, then is the government infringing on your right to own and use one?

If the gov't is not supplying you a free record of your birth is that infringing upon your right to vote? A state issued, photo ID costs about $6/year in Texas, and is free to those that can show economic hardship.

About Those Free Voter ID Cards | The Texas Tribune

Then why are the most rabid gun rights posters pro voter ID? You'd think they'd be consistent.

Back
Top Bottom